Why do normal people shy away from decent audio?

Audio Flynn

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a growing anti-intellectuallism in this country.

I was in a Waffle House - I'm not proud of that - but I was hungry...

I'm all alone, eating my food, and reading a book - when this waitress comes by and says,

"Whut are you readin' fer?"

"You know, I've never been asked that question before. God dang it, you stumped me!"

Not "What am I reading?"

"What am I reading for?"

Well, I guess I read for a lot of reasons. One of the big ones is so I don't have to be a Waffle Waitress.

Then this truck driver comes over and says,

"Looks like we got us a reader here"

Am I stepping out of some intellectual closet on this one or something?

I'm a reader.

There, I've said it... and I feel better. ~ Bill Hicks

----------------

On 2/3/2004 7:09:54 PM Curmudgeon wrote:

There is a growing anti-intellectuallism in this country.

I was in a Waffle House - I'm not proud of that - but I was hungry...

I'm all alone, eating my food, and reading a book - when this waitress comes by and says,

"Whut are you readin' fer?"

"You know, I've never been asked that question before. God dang it, you stumped me!"

Not "What am I read
ing
?"

"What am I reading
for
?"

Well, I guess I read for a lot of reasons. One of the big ones is so I don't have to be a Waffle Waitress.

Then this truck driver comes over and says,

"Looks like we got us a
reader
here"

Am I stepping out of some intellectual closet on this one or something?

I'm a reader.

There, I've said it... and I feel better.
~ Bill Hicks

----------------

That's hilarious. I'm a reader too although I'm more of a listener. I go through about 50 books on tape a year during my commute which is about 3 hrs/day. I've converted about half of our department into book listeners. The library is a great source although I own quite a few. Every once in a while it's nice to actually read a book instead of listening.

Truck stops and Waffle Houses are probably not the best places to have intellectual conversations about the latest best sellers.

If people aren't exposed to excellence as they grow up, they can't recognize it as it hits them in the face. If you don't read books, plays, and history, then odds are The Fountainhead, Cat on the Hot Tin Roof, and Beowulf are not cultural icons but conversation enders.

I had the good fortune having many friends in the school band. One father had a set of Cornwalls, and we would rock the house evry Friday night after games. Things you revere as a child will follow you all the days of your lives.1.gif

----------------

On 2/3/2004 9:12:36 PM mike stehr wrote:

What's a "normal" person?

----------------

That's a great question.Maybe some really intelectal person could splain it fer us after I et my waffles,keep on a truckin',Cletus.

I ate at a Waffle House for lunch every workday for close to three months. The manager/cook could handle up to twelve call orders(no order slips) at a time running the grill, and keep them straight. He had quite a handle on how to run things. I tried to get him hired at the nuclear fuel plant after we shuttered it, but the PhD manager could not bring himself to hire a short order cook from Waffle House.

The guy they did hire in lieu of John was quite deaf, stubborn, and would not take direction well. He had very poor radiation safety work habits, and in quick order, caught the laundry on fire, and then caught the incinerator exhaust HEPA filter banks on fire a week later(just after I left!)

$300,000 later, the Phd manager called me up and asked if he made a mistake. Lots of people just need the opportunity. Just make sure the person you give an opportunity to has never caught a filter bank on fire at a nuke plant2.gif

----------------

Why do normal people shy away from decent audio?

----------------

1. Because they can settle for "decent audio." Good audio takes some research and good listening skills.

2. All the "good audio" people stick together and talk through forums so the "normal people" don't know "good audio" people.

3. "Normal people" put their money into savings, retirement, or kid's education.

4. "Normal people" think "good audio" people are eccentric types who are constantly updating/modifying their equipment and talk in code. (Okay, that one is partially true.)

5. "Normal people" buy furniture instead.

I could go on but I'll stop here.

I think that it's simply that it's hard to find "good audio". Even in the San Francisco area, you have to go out of your way to find a store that sells "good audio". When you do find a store that sells "good audio" the "normal person" is completely put off by the "good audio" sales people. As much as I love "good audio", I would rather get a root canal than spend time in most " good audio" "salons". Now a days you really need to "surf the net" to find good stuff at reasonable prices or really be motivated to find something thetas different than what they sell at the good guys. If you don't start out with a curiosity in this area you would be satisfied with bose. I would have to admit that I would never have heard of Wright Sound, or Mooddogs, or SET, or Cayin, or SACD had I not sought it out. The average person quite honestly doesn't know what they don't know!

Josh

----------------

On 2/3/2004 9:35:47 PM sheltie dave wrote:

If people aren't exposed to excellence as they grow up, they can't recognize it as it hits them in the face.

----------------

I was not exposed to excellance growing up, but I can guarantee you that I recognize it when I see it walking down the street. I have a harder time recognizing excellance when its in my face.

I'm not sure what you are fini, but it sure ain't normal. Or regular.

Keith

Whilst I was growing up the main system in our house was my father's stereo record player with built in amp and speakers all in the one unit. This unit was defintely very non-audiophile and yet it played, seemingly, all hours of the day when he wasn't working.

From that system I learned about music (primarily classical with some Paul Robeson thrown in for good measure). It wasnt that quality didnt matter, it was merely that we did not know there was such a gulf between what we had and what was possible.

Bear in mind, of course, that we did have exposure to other systems, but these were uniformly even worse than the main system. I spent countless hours under the bedclothes with a transistor radio jammed against my ear listening to pop music.

Later on I got my own system in my bedroom - a Radio shack record player with 2 separate speakers, sonically probably slightly better than the main system (although there was not a lot in it). Still, for the princely sum of fifty pounds it was worth every penny and played for years.

It is hard to describe the shock of hearing a real system many, many years later. That system comprised KHorns, an Accuphase amp and an Accuphase CD player. I was thunderstuck, both by the quality and by the sheer size of the speakers.

That launched me into the audiophile world. Initially it was bewildering in terms of range of products and the prices. I had a hard time adjusting to the prices some things cost (still do as it happens).

What is interesting is that my father, who has heard my system and marvelled at it, is not really massively tempted to go out and get one for himself. Most of my parents listening is still to the classical radio station on one of half a dozen mono radios dotted around the house.

We have discussed the possibility of getting something better but are somewhat limited by my mother's insistance on "no more boxes and cables"

I suppose ultimatly you have to choose your hobbies as it is impossible to follow them all. I have friends into photography who laugh at my camera, friends with HT setups that are amazed I watch movies through the TV speakers, friends into cars who can't understand that getting from 0 to 60 in 5 seconds is not a priority in my life. Add to that list boats, fishing, guns, innumerable sports, cooking and who knows what else.

I'm into audio for music and music alone. Should I think them mad because they are not?

Keith, the most difficult part of my day is taking Liam to the daycare. He gets mad and starts fussing if I am going too slow, and I can't blame him.

There are three babes that work there, and their reputation is such that four of my friends willingly "rent" the opportunity to drop Liam off or pick him up in the evening. One of the girls made reference to the fact Liam has a lot of uncles who don't really look like me, so I spilled the beans to her. Good has come out of it, as two of our young engineer friends have gone on dates with the nice babes. And Liam really gets fawned over every day at daycare.

Liam loves being exposed to the great Klipsch sound; I hope he soon outgrows his rock drummer stage and moves into concert pianist or some musical endeavor that promises a better future2.gif