Ripped off! Scott 299 on EBay!!!!!

jorjen

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Realize too that a lot of these "big item" auctions are the result of divorce. Or the guy losing his job. Very often have to work around the seller's situation.

I make it a rule never to do a deal over $400 without using escrow. If the guy won't go for escrow on my dime (and most will split), you can bet it's a scam. (OTOH, I've had to educate several sellers about it. After which they love it because it protects them too.)

I think I have been had also. "WON" the bid, Sunday the 1st, on a Harmon Kardon AVR220, and a set of R5's L, C, R, and SS1 surrounds from a guy in Milwaukee. After I sent the postal money order Monday, next day delivery, so he could ship them out Tuesday, I have only been able to get them to answer the phone, one time for an excuse from his girlfriend and a promise that he would call back. Got the answering machine about 20 times during the week. I recieved an email Sat. from his girlfriend that he was out of town and would email back Sun., ship them Mon. and email the tracking numbers Mon.. Didn't happen. I called 2 or three times Mon. night, answering machine again. Called this morning, Tues. and got a message that the phone was being checked for a problem. Called all day, same message and tonight got a message that the phone had been disconnected. Money Order was for $940!!!!!!!!!!!Am I pissed?

Same way I felt when I won my Cornwalls via e-bay. "There goes 900 dollars I`ll never see again. Is there anybody out there dumber than me. I think not. What a stooge I am. Like this guy is for real. What was I thinking when I made that bid. Oh! I remember. I wasn`t thinking at all. As usual. Way to go Greg. Dummy!"

They arrived a month later. I new it all along. 2.gif

My take on this is that the seller is REALLY REALLY new to ebay selling and he's completely naive ...or ...you got screwed.

No seasoned ebay seller will ship a 40lb item through the USPS. It is simply to expensive compared to fedex. It cost only 45 cents extra for delivery confirmation! The USPS counter workers ALWAYS ask if you want delivery confirmation or insurance. Did he even insure it?!

If you do eventually receive this 299 in good condition you should teach this seller a valuable lesson and tell him it never arrived. Demand your money back.

It would be very easy to get $175 refunded (maximum allowed) by ebays fraud protection plan if he will not agree to refund.

----------------

On 2/11/2004 8:42:53 AM BigBusa wrote:

My take on this is that the seller is REALLY REALLY new to ebay selling and he's completely naive ...or ...you got screwed.

No seasoned ebay seller will ship a 40lb item through the USPS. It is simply to expensive compared to fedex. It cost only 45 cents extra for delivery confirmation! The USPS counter workers ALWAYS ask if you want delivery confirmation or insurance. Did he even insure it?!

If you do eventually receive this 299 in good condition you should teach this seller a valuable lesson and tell him it never arrived. Demand your money back.

It would be very easy to get $175 refunded (maximum allowed) by ebays fraud protection plan if he will not agree to refund.

----------------

That's ridiculus. If you do get it, let the seller know and explain how he should ship in the future. You don't need to rip off the system. Bad advice IMHO.

If you don't recieve it, that's a different story altogether.

-------------------------------------

On 2/11/2004 8:42:53 AM BigBusa wrote:

---------------------------------------

Big Busa,

Youre suggesting that jorjen commit fraud. What kind of advice is that and what the heck kind of person are you? I do recall you expressing disdain for law enforcement in a previous thread but this is total dishonesty. It's criminal. How do live with yourself?

I've made quite a few purchases on ebay and I have just a few simple rules.

Never send a money order for more then $50.00, I figure if I get screwed out of 50, thats enough. That figure is just a personal choice.

Actually read the feed back on the seller, sometimes they have good feedback but show slow to ship or bad on e-mail, you know what you're up against.

Call your credit card company and find out their policy on internet/mail order purchases. Most will not expect you to pay if there is fraud involved or non delivery.

Get a paypal account and use that credit card, don't use the checking account option.

I purchased a $2000.00 dollar item and didn't get prompt e-mails or when I did get them, they were useless. I contacted ebay and paypal and was told to wait something like 60 days, screw that. Give the guy until the charge appears on your CC statement and that payement is due. Call the CC company and dispute the charge, this is the most important action you take.

Once the charge is stopped file all the online forms with paypal and ebay if you haven't already done so.

Now you're all set, the credit card company will look into the matter and once the seller can not supply a delivery recipt the charge will be credited back to you and you're ready to make your next ebay purchase.

----------------

On 2/11/2004 1:58:56 PM BigBusa wrote:

I'm suggesting this member get even with this ebayer for screwing him around for 3 + weeks.

That's not how you sell on ebay.

2 wrongs = a right.
2.gif

----------------

Actually, two wrongs don't make a right....but two (w)rights DID make an airplane; Orville and Wilbur ;-)

Give the guy until the charge appears on your CC statement and that payement is due. Call the CC company and dispute the charge, this is the most important action you take.

Once the charge is stopped file all the online forms with paypal and ebay if you haven't already done so.

Now you're all set, the credit card company will look into the matter and once the seller can not supply a delivery recipt the charge will be credited back to you and you're ready to make your next ebay purchase.

I thought he payed with a USPS money order. But this is good advice for eBay/PayPal transactions.