Definitive Technology vs Klipsch

Kyler Cavers

ok...ok. since I'm the cretin that started this tirrade (ps: I can't spell, but I do know what the words imply none the less...) I'll say this.

I got out of hand when it became personal, and to this I will say--at one point it became a question of how much more would I need to defend my viewpoint.

For all of this very childish nonsense-I would like to apologize to everyone on this forum for my very un-professional behavior.

I never intended from the very first post to imply any sort of hierarchy, I simply wanted to give my feelings about my speakers, which I really enjoy hearing, and have enjoyed hearing for several years now. I didn't want, nor did I think I put anyone elses choice down, and I was in complete understanding that this is a Klipsch forum, and so the opinions would be Klipsch related. I also will say that their are people on here who's opinions and equipment choices are incredible, and their technical expertise is far beyond anything that I maintain--and it is for this reason that I enjoy reading the posts here, and truely do value their opinions.

I didn't mean to start a war, and I had wanted this to remain friendly, especially since I REALLY LOVE KLIPSCH, I just saw that there was someone inquiring about another brand, and since I have them in my home, and have for around 3 years now I thought I would talk about them, and the fact that I do enjoy them.

My involvement with people on this forum has actually caused me to once again really listen to my speakers and identify why I like them so much, and I've found myself pulling out pieces of music that I haven't heard in a while so that I could understand my own fanaticism. It is this new found scrutiny that makes me enjoy this forum that much more. This thread, in no small way, has been a strong reason for me to sit and really listen to my speakers, which I'm still as pleased with as the day I first heard them. This is a blessing, and its something I hope everyone can say.

Thank you for reading this, thank you for tolerating me, and thank you for all the expertise that you provide.

RFinco

----------------

On 2/17/2004 4:30:56 PM skonopa wrote:

It would be interesting to compare how they sound to the clarity and detail that I get out of my Klipsch. Unfortunatly, nobody in this area sells Def Tech speakers, and I don't feel like driving up into DC or down to Richmond just to listen to a pair of speakers I am not interested in buying.

----------------

I've been thinking about hauling my front towers over to DAMONRPAYNE's to do a A\B, but we both have been rather busy lately and my front towers are 135 lbs each and are really big unweildly monolith's (they're like those things that the monkey's were fighting over in 2001...). This is still something I would like to do though just to compare the two. Like I've said before, I really like both companies quite a bit, So I'd love to hear the nuances of each speaker.

after that I'm going to go trade my speakers for a bunch of those BOSE clock radios, and maybe some of those little cubes--

14.gif7.gif

skonopa--question for you, or for all of you--EAR!! I need some technical expertise here...keep in mind my wallet isn't as big as I'd like.....

Skonopa--

I notice you are useing a receiver as a pre/pro and a B&K 200.7 amp (the very same amp I've been considering)

and I wanted to know what your thoughts are in regard to useing a "higher" line reciever as a Pre/pro vs. selling the receiver and getting a dedicated pre/pro....

anyone's thoughts on this?? I'm open to all suggestions. my concerns are thus: my speakers are a 4-8 ohm range and in turn my receiver (pioneer elite vsx 49tx) is having quite a bit of trouble driving them, but I really do love the receiver's capabilities as a processor, and I don't have the kind of money to buy a HIGH END pre/pro right now.

anyone?? anyone?? ...bueller.....bueller....

"This thread, in no small way, has been a strong reason for me to sit and really listen to my speakers, which I'm still as pleased with as the day I first heard them. This is a blessing, and its something I hope everyone can say"

Even thouigh I could ill afford them, I have had no regrets and no second thoughts since I bought my Klipschorns in 1977. Let's see what you have to say about your DT's in another twenty odd years. That will be telling.

Rick

----------------

On 2/17/2004 8:04:25 PM RFinco wrote:

Skonopa--

I notice you are useing a receiver as a pre/pro and a B&K 200.7 amp (the very same amp I've been considering)

and I wanted to know what your thoughts are in regard to useing a "higher" line reciever as a Pre/pro vs. selling the receiver and getting a dedicated pre/pro....

----------------

Well, I think using a "dedicated" pre/pro will probably result a little better quality sound, since the higher-end pre/pros tends to have better quality DACs, processors, etc.

Me using my Denon AVR-3802 as a pre/pro is purely a money saving move on my part (why spend another $2K for a pre/pro when I got a perfectly good pre/pro in this still new receiver). The Denon is also still fairly (I had it for about 2 years now), so it is more than capable of handling all the current formats. it does indeed do a fantastic job in that capacity. Denon has been well regarded in terms of thier pre/pro functionality. Eventually, I'll make the move to a dedidcated pre/pro such as the B&K Ref 50.

Also, maintaining the reciever as a pre/pro and getting a seperate amp is a the most logical move towards seperates, unless you have the money to get a whole new complete pre/pro and amp package. Selling off your reciever and getting a dedicated pre/pro may not be a bad move either. I just don't feel like dealing with selling mine, plus when I do eventually get a dedicated pre/pro, I'd like to use it in place of that old Yamaha R-V702 reciever I got in my old setup down in my basement gameroom.

In response to your ealier post:

Yeah, that did get a little ugly. I commend you for coming on here and like that. I am not going to place blame as to who may have "started" it, but you definitly showed you are man enough to admit any wrong you may have committed and apologized for it.

And yes, I am getting close to 2 years into owning my RF-7s, and I still enjoy them like the day I first hooked them up and put that first CD in. So much better now I got that B&K amp to power those babies. I am willing to bet that B&K will really make your Def Tech's sing and I gurenteed once you power those up the first time with the new amp, you will be floored. I sure as hell was 9.gif

You Klipscheads should be ashamed. Where's the class?

Defintive Technology makes GREAT sounding speakers -- and I almost went in that direction once. Bipolars are awesome, but in the end -- I was won over by hair trigger dynamics.

Brennen, you need to lay off the LSD for a while. What, Definitive Technology has a midrange driver -- and so this makes them closer to what PWK "preferred". Man, you are losing it. If you ever make it into Ohio let me know. I'll take you over to my son's place, and we'll put on a "little horn" demo for you with his RF-7s and Quicksilvers.

Dean---Yes, you understand the theory. PWK didn't like modulation distortion caused by a single driver reproducing both bass and treble tones. The RFs are a recipe for IM distortion and the Def-Techs can avoid it.

The RFs are not PWK's idea of what a speaker should be, that's a fact. Whether people like them is not my point, I'm talking technique here, not preference.

I'm going through Ohier today on my way to DC to visit my daughter, maybe I can catch you on the way back.

On 2/18/2004 9:46:16 AM TBrennan wrote:

Dean---Yes, you understand the theory. PWK didn't like modulation distortion caused by a single driver reproducing both bass and treble tones. The RFs are a recipe for IM distortion and the Def-Techs can avoid it.

The RFs are not PWK's idea of what a speaker should be, that's a fact. Whether people like them is not my point, I'm talking technique here, not preference.

I'm going through Ohier today on my way to DC to visit my daughter, maybe I can catch you on the way back.

----------------

Tom,

I am curious if you know PWK's actual involvement in the company - from when he officially retired until he passed away - from a speaker design perspective. Having just come back into the Klipsch fold after using Cornwalls for 20+ years - I was aprehensive about the Klipsch LLC direction from a design stand point.

I did do direct comparisons in my own environment of the CWs to the RF5s and was pleasantly surprised at the results. However, I did wonder if Paul really had anything to do with the design direction. Given his strong opinions, I questioned if he had really supported the new WAF factor designs.

MarkBK

• 6 years later...
  • 8 years later...

Figured I’d share. I was a big DT fan for many years. I spent tons of money on their stuff for my home setup. Last dec the center and powered sub went out, I said screw it and got a Klipsch 504 center, I was so impressed I replaced the SS with 502s then one 15 sub, then another 15, then the tops  😂. I just replaced the DT powered towers with 80-60s. So needless to say, after the center I went from all DT to all Klipsch in 5 months. You can feel the Klipsch a lot more and they don’t back down to whatever you throw at them. 

• Like 1