sub amp sucks

coo1asice

I decided to take a look inside my sub and a look at the so called "BASH" amplifier.... all the amplifier sections for each output are the same, even the sub amp. every device is the same, so how do they determine that there's 160 watts out of it? hmm... good question. i just think the sub is underpowered, not limited.

?

160 watts is underpowered? First of all, wattage ratings don't mean as much as you think. Second, how much do you know about electronics? Were you expecting the sub amp to have its own PS and gigantic transformers? Get real, this is a computer setup.

Take a look inside your friends DTT3500's. Oh, and check out his 30 watt sub too.

Hmm well I don't think the sub is that bad I mean it's only sportin' two 6 ½ subs, as where others have 8's like my friends altec and I think the Klipsch blow it away all around.. although the Altecs are pretty nice though, I'm assuming you didn't buy one? I mean if it sucks sell them to someone who wants them

coo1asice, I am also a second year engineering student and perhaps I can help anwser your question (if dan F could help me out that would be great)

P = I^2 *R = ((DeltaV)^2)/R

This means that the power the amp puts out depends on the voltage and the resistance of the speakers. So the Sub is supposed to be about 160W and the sats about 60W Right.

So, we can assume that the voltage will be about constant between the amps so we can compare the sats resistance and the subs resistance to get a comparison of the power.

160/60 = 8/3

So the sats have about 2.66 times the resistance of the sub.

I measured the resistance of one of the sats and got 5.2 ohm's.

This means that the sub has a resistance of both subs (total ) should be about 1.955 ohm's

Now I could be wrong -- hell I am sure that I messed something up ==

but the important thing is that the same amps produce different power when hooked up to speakers with different resistance.

I also believe that you either have a defective sub -- or it is in a bad spot in the room --

Jhat is right. The impedence of the speakers determines the power draw from the various channels.

One of the benefits of the unique BASH multichannel configuration is that the voltage is available when and where it is needed.

Looks are definitely deceiving, because at one time, you had to have a humongous transformer and capacitor to deliver 400 Watts, and it was always there, generating heat, whether you used it or not. With the Klipsch BASH amplifier, the power is switched on on demand.

Look for more and more amplifiers to be designed with this type of technology. Not just in the computer biz.

The location of the sub really matters when determining the 'boom' of the sub. It will sound much better if it's set up (positioned) correctly, versus just lying there in a large open room next to your chair. When I moved my sub from the corner to behind my desk next to the wall, I noticed a hugedifference in how it felt.

I'm always confused as to why people have to take things apart and "inspect" them after a purchase. If you don't like how they sound or how they were engineered, why the hell did you spend all that money! Obviously you have heard them or heard of their quality before you bought them, so why complain after getting them? Enjoy!! I can't afford a "decent" home theater system so I splurged and got the 4.1 pro media set and crank the hell out of it from my office and watch DVD's in the living room. I can tell you my friend has a 100wt powered sub and a decent 5.1 speaker system along with it and I am hard pressed to "feel" the diference between the 2 subs, in any room. I am very proud of my pro media's and it will probably take me a long time to break down and buy a full home theater package because of them.

MovieFreak:

Stop before you start bashing too much. What Coo1asice has done is contributed to that little bug that every crazed computer/electronics/orwhateveryourinterestare person. He is going to be an engineer.. he is just doing his instinct by wondering about the design of the sub I buy a computer.. I take it apart to see what is in it.