Fundamental Frequencies

JohnA

I know the standard guitar tuning (E A D G B E) is tuned to A = 440 Hz. What is the fundamental of the others? What about an electric bass (E A D G)? Is there a good source of this information? Online?

John

Hi John,

All I can tell you off the top of my big, fat head is that the lowest string on a four-string bass is supposed to be approximately 40hz. Seems it was actually 40 point something. I've read it a number of times and I should remember exactly, but being weak of mind, it eludes me. cwm36.gif

------------------

JDMcCall

I'd tried something like that on Yahoo!, but didn't find what i needed. I am pretty ignorant of musical scales and need more obvious information. I tried your google search and MAY have seen what I was looking for if I understood the meaning of the scale/octave numbers. Apparently, a piano can hit 25 Hz.

Thanks!

John

yea john, don't remember exactly why, but google seems to do the best job i've found so far.

interesting on that piano. wonder what the lowest on a pipe organ is. thought i heard like 5hz.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

It kind of puts things in perspective, doesn't it? All the fuss and bother about achieving response down to 20hz or below. If popular music is your musical meat and potatos, why bother? Give me a high-output/low distortion pair of klipsch that can slam at 40hz! Below that - that's what they build RSW15s for.

Oh BTW; TtoK, I'm not really being hard on myself. I really do have this huge, fat 7 7/8 hat size head. I'm a total freak!!!s> When I was a kid, my dentist told my mom that I would be a music lover. He deduced this from the size and shape of my noggin! The guy must have been a student of phrenology. He nailed it!

------------------

JDMcCall

John . . .

Don't exactly know what you're trying for, but as far as tuning an electric bass, if they

do it the old fashioned way, they say to the piano player, "Hey man, gimme a G!".

Of course, in these modern times, they pack electronic tuners to the gig and leave

the piano men alone.

However, I sort of get the feeling you're more interested in learning about 'funda-

mentals' than 'notes'. Hope this little tidbit illuminates.

------------------

2 KLF-30s - fronts

1 KLF - C7 - center

2 RS-7 WDSTs - rear surr. (when avail.)

Velodyne HGS-15 subwoofer

40" Toshiba TW40F80 Theater Wide (16:9)

Yamaha DSP-AI integrated amp

Yamaha TX-950 tuner

B&O Beogram RX2 turntable

Nakamichi CR-7A cassette recorder

Pioneer PD-F1005 Multi-CD Changer (File type)

Sony SAS-AD4 DSS DirecTV System

Pioneer DVL-909 DVD/LD Combi Player

VCR1 - Toshiba W808

VCR2 - JVC HRS9400U

VCR3 - Sony Betamax SL-HF1000

2 Sanus racks (4 levels + use of each top)

I believe the answer is to be found at the following.

http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

It is my understanding that the open E string on the electric and wooden bass is at the 41.20 Hz frequency.

Therefore, it seems to me this is a good lower limit for frequency response on most speakers. On the other hand, the pedal tones on organ go lower.

The table confirms what we know. Going up or down an octave doubles and halves a frequency.

Does anyone know the tuning of the timpani or a parade type bass drum?

Gil

The frequencies bring up an interesting issue about why bass in music is interesting to the ear.

(Im at a bit of a loss here because a borrower from my lending library has failed to return the book. No, no one on the bbs.)

It has to do with the relation between chords and bass. If there is a real expert out there, comment is welcomed. H-E-L-P !

Consider a C major cord. It is made up of

C4 at 261.63 Hz

E4 at 329.63 Hz

G4 at 392.00 Hz.

But suppose we sound a bass note two octaves below the fundamental. It is C2 at about 65.41

Hz.

We know that in some circumstances, there are harmonics or overtones formed of a given frequency of the fundamental note. They are integer multiples of the fundamental. So, lets look at some multiples of that bass note.

65.41 x 4 = 261.41

65.41 x 5 = 327.05

65.41 x 6 = 392.46

We see that if the bass player plunks a bass note two octaves below the major chord the lead guitar player is playing, the overtones or harmonics of that single base note align very closely with the chord.

So, to some extent, the bass overtone is playing the same notes as the chord, given harmonics.

Some really smart cookie figured this out 300 years ago.

Why dont the numbers work out exactly? That is gonna have to be the subject of another post.

Regards,

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 06-27-2001 at 11:38 PM

I'm thinking of replacing my subwoofer with a parade drum and a steady supply of teenagers willing to work for minimum wage to strike it on cue from my DVD player. Should I wire the teenagers in parallel with the front speakers, or would that present too much impedance to the amp? Or perhaps create too much resistance from the teenagers? Wink.gif

DD2

Note

Just Scale Equal

Temperament Difference

C4 261.63 261.63 0

C4# 272.54 277.18 +4.64

D4 294.33 293.66 -0.67

E4b 313.96 311.13 -2.84

E4 327.03 329.63 +2.60

F4 348.83 349.23 +0.40

F4# 367.92 369.99 +2.07

G4 392.44 392.00 -0.44

A4b 418.60 415.30 -3.30

A4 436.05 440.00 +3.94

B4b 470.93 466.16 -4.77

B4 490.55 493.88 +3.33

C5 523.25 523.25 0

Bass is usually tuned Just Scale where piano is usually Equal Temperament.Telarc's big bass drum is 16hz.Concert timpanni are usually 25hz(tuned by ear).Full sized piano (A0) is 27.5hz.Four string electric bass E=41hz A=55hz D=73.6hz G=98hz with low B on a five string bass =31hz

djk, being a former fellow iowan from muscatine & knowing of the great iowa edu. sys can u give us the lower notes/freq. of the pipe organ &/or equalizers ala

edgar winter, etc.

another ? too please, if most receivers are rated only

down to 20hz, can they still hit sub 20hz frequencies?

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Yeah, I'd be glad to. I've already got a headache from the fireworks anyway. A little more cranium crunching probably wouldn't hurt any more. I don't work cheap, but I would work for a belle klipsch if you've got one sitting around gathering dust.

------------------

JDMcCall

Just to follow up on the 'error' I mentioned.

In harmonic tuning the third is at 1.25 the fundamental of the chord and and the fifth is at 1.5 the fundamental of the chord. So you can see that the numbers would work out in harmonic tuning but don't quite do so in equal temperament.

Gil