Question about mp3's

Impalass99

Hey everyone,

I have a somewhat wierd question. Currently I am using winamp to play mp3's and I also have ultra player installed. Personally, i prefer winamp for the mp3's instead of ultra player, so my question is... based on everyones personal experience, which player for mp3's do you guys use? Do you prefer winamp to any other, can you hear an audible difference? In addition, which plugins for winamp enhance sound? There used to be this plugin, WOW (www.wowthing.com) but thats been pulled. That plugin would enhance sound greatly. If anyone has some tips as to which winamp plugins I can use to enhance sound i would be greatful.

Next thing on the list, encoding mp3's. I currently use music match, for ease of use. I have ripped close to 600 albums, and i prefered musicmatch jukebox because it did it all for me, I would put the cd in, musicmatch would access CDDB, get the track listings, make the filename the way i wanted it (Artist - Album Name - Track - Title.mp3) and put them in corresponding directories. But, reading this BB, it has been brought to my attention that the musicmatch encoder is low quality. Any tips on what encoder i should use, which has the ease of use comparible to that of musicmatch? I have herd of audiocatalyst, but dont have much experience. I have also herd of variable bit rate encoding.. is this preferable? I rip all my cd's at 256 bit rate.

Thanks in advance

ImpalaSS

Well don't know your question about the plug-in for winamp, but I use this too and wish that plug-in was still available never knew about it.. oh well

For ripping I use AudioCatalyst and that's an easy prog. to use and it encodes 92?-320? but I do mine most at 160 don't hear much of a difference between the encoding.. not unless you do 128 and below

As for your plugin...

What did you like about the wow plugin?

My opinion - It muddled the bass a little too much. Yes when I used it the sonic impact was BIG, but it sacrificed the overall quality.

End of this opinion smile.gif

What do you like about the WOW plugin, maybe I can suggest something similar

As for your ripping needs, I like

Sonic Foundry. - little expensive

cool edit 2000 - easy to use and powerful.

Jon

Well, as far as the wow plugin is considered, i liked what it did for the sound through headphones. Basically, I just am curious if anyone has found some really nice plugins for winamp which makes the klipsch sound better (is that possible? :-P)

Thanks for the input guys

ImpalaSS

i think you can still find that plugin somewhere on the net...

or i may have a copy somewhere on my hard drive for those interested, but i didn't like it, it messed up the sound too much. just puts more emphasis on the bass & treble and the Klipsch don't need that.

neways, to encode mp3s your best bet is probably LAME encoder, it is the best encoder although it doesn't have the ease of use and the nice GUI of other encoders.

use exact audio copy to rip cds.

Exact Audio Copy is a program that, although it's much slower than all the other ripping programs out there, checks and rechecks and rerechecks the rip all the time to see whether it's really exact. any time it has a doubt after the ripping process, it will give you a screen where all the problems could have happened so you can check the wav and see if you can hear a difference.

it works really well and makes... exact audio copies of your existing cds really easy.

it also has the option to start one of several external encoding programs (among which LAME) after the rip is complete, you just have to provide the location of the program. so you have an integrated solution to create mp3s.