KG2s tweater issue?

jonpratt

Running KG2s on a Denon AVR-2801

Some high raspy notes/voices etc seem a bit too raspy and static filled.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

I am using mid quality Monster Cable with Radio shack gold banana plugs(screw down, not soldered).

A good example of the problem -

Eric Clapton and Friends DVD

David Sanborn's sax sounds a bit harsh especially when heard as a light background instrument.

Overall the sound quality of voices is good, unless they hit the high raspy notes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

I have KG2 with a Denon 3300 and the only thing I have noticed is at high volumns there is a static sounding hiss if you are close to the speakers.

In another post someone mentioned that the horns in the KG2s are d-horns, something that Klipsch did not stay with. I tried to get more info on the d-horn thing but"no reply".

TKA

You may have knocked the dome and coil out of whack when the cat knocked the KV-2 off the shelf. If the sound is NOT specific to just a few recordings, you may want to contact 800-klipsch to purchase a replacement diaphragm (not the entire driver) for the tweeter. It isn't very expensive.

Klipsch used the dhorm (dome + horn) tweeter in some speaker but moved on to superior horns with compression loading in the past few years. The dhorm design in the KV-2 and other models has symmetrical dispersion. Now we use 90 degree wide by 60 degree high coverage patterns in all but the Quintet (90 X 40 to minimize reflection) models. This is one expample of the Klipsch approach to putting more of the cost of any product into the core components rather than on cosmetics. Some may disagree with this philosophy, but that's how we do it.