KLF-C7 vs. Academy

Freak On A Leash

So, I had a KLF-C7 that I was bidding on yesterday and lost, but the guy and I exchanged emails about it and I mentioned that I really wanted an Academy. He responded by saying that while the Academy is a better timbre match to the Chorus II's, the CLF-C7 would sound better because it has a larger horn and plays the mid-ranges better. So, I started thinking about this and was curious what others thought on this that have heard both paired with the Chorus II's, Forte' II's, or the Quartets.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Freak

He is correct the midrange driver is larger in the KLF-C7 and the KV-4, it is a 2" driver if I am not mistaken. Efficiency is also higher in the C7 and the KV-4 99db vs. 96db. I think the sounding better is up to debate since it depends how well it blends with your other speakers. I had a KV-4 and loved it, but when I had the chance to get a single La Scala for a center I did not hesitate for a moment. Needless to say the La Scala provides a seamless match for the Khorns. Timbre is indeed important and matching you center to your mains is very important. The tweeter in the Academy looks tiny to me and my KV-4 certainly looked beefier.

Freak-

Stay away from the KV-4 with your Chorus IIs. It's a fine speaker, but it was meant for the Epic line. I "upgraded" from a KV-3 to the KV-4 with my Forte IIs as mains. It is indeed higher efficiency, but it is a much more forward, or bright, sound, which doesn't blend well with the Chorus/Forte/Quartet line.

That put me on the search for the Academy. When I found one and hooked it up, there was no contest. Academy, even with the lower efficiency (which is compensated by raising the level through the receiver), is the perfect "small center" match for this line of speakers. I say "small" because the ideal match would be another Chorus/Forte/Quartet.

I did a 3-way shootout between the KV-3, -4, and Academy while they were all in my possession. If you do a search for "Center Channel Shootout" in this forum you'll find it, but it was about 2 years ago. All are great speakers, but you need to match them with the rest of your HT. Looking back, I'd go for the KV-3 over a KV-4 with the Chorus/Forte/Quartet.

Now as far as the KLF-C7 goes, I have not done extensive listening with it, but soon after I bought my Academy, I took it down to a fellow board member's place, Chickey, and we did a quick comparison between my Academy and his C7. He had Chorus IIs as well. The outcome? He bought an Academy within a few months and sold his C7. Again, nothing against the C7, and for the prices that Academy's are going for, you could do pretty well with one. But if you want that true timbre match, Academy is where it's at.

Well, I appreciate the replies and considering what the Academy is going for and because I didn't get it.....WEIRD......I am going to purchase a KLF-C7 and make do for the present time. I figure it will be the closest match to my Chorus II's other than the Academy. I don't doubt that Academy is a perfect match by listening to it in a few moments, but the prices are TOO steep.

The nice thing about my Pioneer Elite 45TX is that it offers a 5 band EQ per channel and I think with some proper tweaking I could make the center sound pretty nice. It also has to be much better than the RC-3II that I'm currently running. Last night I watched a little LOTR Two Towers and noticed the RC-3II really doesn't keep up as well as I'd like. The Chorus II's are just so much better.

Freak

Here is something I found a bit interesting while searching the net for the speaker in which you describe. Now, I would assume that in this compairison chart that the Academy would be listed under the perfect match for the Chorus, Forte',Cornwall, Heresay, and Quartet, but it's not. They list the perfect match for these speakers being the C7. It's hard to find a matching chart for these speakers and I remember stumbling onto this one other time and couldn't remember where I saw it. Also, the list some newer speakers on it and am surprised that the Academy isn't listed at all....

http://www.audiocompaniet.no/matrix1.html

Guest Anonymous

Hiya Freak, was looking at that matching chart and I have the Cornwall mains KLF C7 center and the HeresyII surrounds(as shown in the chart) and I believe its correct cause the sound is seamless. My reason to purchase the C7 was on suggestion by my Local Klipsch dealer after I mentioned the Acadamy center their response was a big laugh and that C7 is a better match to the Cornwalls(they did not have the C7 cause it had been discontinued). But in this hifi world we decide to live in everyone has their own opinion!!!.....Tony