Dampening -Woofer Basket- On Klipschorn

Dylanl

Dean---I'm not saying you're not hearing a difference or that the basket is still vibrating. I'm saying that damping the vibration doesn't lessen the amount of energy directed towards vibration, it just damps it. You said the problem was energy loss and not vibration, that's all.

Look Dean, I got nothing else to do today but be a pest. I had a nice lunch then went to the library. Later tonight I'll read a book on the social history of the Alamo and maybe watch "A Night to Remember", I bought the DVD yesterday.

Tomorrow I'm gonna get my oil changed and a carwash; the good wash where the Mexican guys clean the inside and the windows and dry the car.

Maron, this conversation reminds me of one ten years ago with a British divinity student. He was morose about modern cathedrals not having the soaring vistas that famous cathedrals of Europe are noted for. He was sketching a classical cathedral with traditional dimensions, and the larger he made the nave, the wider his walls became. After banging out the CAD blueprint, he realized that he had rediscovered flying buttresses, four hundred years later.

My L or W bracket vibration reduction is measured with the sensor grounded on the bracket itself, not the horn. I hope you didn't have to put the waders on over this part!2.gif

Dylanl,

If you look around some on that ACA site, maybe take a gander at some of the turntables those people are into, you'll see why why a lot of of the guys are skeptical of stuff from there. This is more of a "bang for the buck" type thing here, they don't seem to know about that over there. I think a lot of the benefit of damping woofer baskets is found in Cornwalls, which are a direct radiator in the bass region and seem to get run hard a lot. Khorns make so much room-filling sound with such low power I doubt there's much to gain on the basket caulk deal.

Another reason the responses might be perceived as a little brusgue or whatever is that this subject has been debated ad nauseum here, complete with flame wars, personal insults, accusations of stone-deafness, etc. IOW, the usual treatment. I think this is how speaker geeks show love. :)

Yea, Maron, that is where the flying buttress comes in2.gif I'm wondering about the carpet spikes for the larger Heritage as well. The rest mass of the Cornwalls and larger intuitively seems to be able to overcome the force induced by speaker movement. I'll have to whip out my slide rule and swag this one, but reason dictates the rest inertia of the entire speaker will be far greater than the inertia movement generated by the woofer. Hey, at least we aren't arguing over AC/DC theory of a capacitor!

Dave......While you,v got the slide rule out. With the mass enertia of the earth...How large would an asteroid have to be to obliterate the earth? All Im trying to say is that vibration of the L bracket will be masked by the music at the mouth of the horn by a facter of 10.

----------------

On 2/27/2004 8:57:15 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Dave......While you,v got the slide rule out. With the mass enertia of the earth...How large would an asteroid have to be to obliterate the earth? All Im trying to say is that vibration of the L bracket will be masked by the music at the mouth of the horn by a facter of 10.

----------------

If we were able to accurately predict where that asteroid would hit, all the audiophiles of Earth could congregate there, bringing with them their rope caulk, Dynamat, and other damping materials (Dave, mind calculating this? Thanks!). We could save our planet! On the other hand, just having all those people there would probably do the trick even without the rope caulk...

----------------

On 2/26/2004 12:31:44 AM 3dzapper wrote:

I have another mod in mind that I "discussed" with my wife tonight. She thinks that I am a little on the far side of the edge but, she humors me.
2.gif

Rick

----------------

Rick,

You're being a bit vague here. Does this involve caulk?

"watching Rosie being stuffed into a Cornwall might be fun to watch."

Sort of like the daytime TV version of 'The Cask of Amontillado', but re-titled 'The Urinal' in honor of Rosie.

At the end would she cry out 'For the Love of God', or would it just be 'expletive deleted'?