McIntosh C22 vs Reissue

Mike Frankel

Mike, McIntosh never reissued anything while they were under original management. When Clarion finally managed to buy them out, they almost blew a knee out getting some of the original flagships reissued as "commemorative" new equipment. While I have not heard neither the original nor the reissue(ie the MC275 or the C22,) this action was undertaken to gain from a marketing and sales approach, not a product approach. The quality probably is addressed when you observe that the reissues routinely sell for $500 to $1000 less than the originals.

If you are buying for a purist's dream of owning McIntosh, or to own a hot cachet item, I would stick with the original. If you are shooting for sound, Alan Songer, Jazman, and a few others have some in depth expertise and can guide you far better than I. It is a big investment, solid financially if you do it with prudence, but you can reward yourself more with lesser equipment in the short run.

One important difference (to me at least) is that the reissue had better output switching capability...it could handle two sets of amps and switch them in and out independantly, the original did not...the reissue was lovingly made to sound like the original but with a lower noise floor and less hiss. If you can find a reissue at a godd price I would pick it up. others may disagree, let´s see what they say. regards, tony

BTW you MUST visit roger russell´s page for info about everything McIntosh: http://www.roger-russell.com/

If you are pursuing vintage (collectible) notions the C22 original currently holds it value better than the reissue model. However, the original has some outdated features (level matching, tape EQ, low freq trim, etc.) on it that few people have any real use for and has single-ended amp outputs only, tube compliment is 6 12AX7's. If you listen to very old vinyl the original C22 has a RIAA vs. LP compensator switch. The reissue has balanced amp outputs, an additional tape monitor loop, and uses 3 12AT7 and 4 12AX7 tubes. If you check out this link http://www.roger-russell.com/preamps.htm#C22r it has features and specs listed, and this link http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/en/Frame_McIntosh.htm has images and .pdf's of the manuals for both models.

If you're not worried about having a vintage McIntosh system you may want to consider their latest design: the C2200 http://66.216.98.167/mcprod/products/McIntoshProduct.jsp?product_id=10 . All the benefits of the C22's original circuit with modern features, superior switching, balanced outputs/inputs, and remote control. Having owned both an original 60's vintage C22 and my current C2200 in my opinion the C2200 is a better sounding preamp and doesn't require the maintenance (pot cleaning) of the older units. It does cost a little more than the C22's but used can be had via Audiogon. Both model C22's run about $2k used and a C2200 averages around $3k used.

Gentlemen:

Thanks for the inmput and opinions. I probably want to go with the older configuration, since I do listen to a lot of old LP'S. I am interested also, in the fact that the bass and treble controls are +/- 20 db, since I like a lot of leeway in the tone controls. That is why I have ruled out most modern preamps, since they do not have tone controls. The McIntosh 220 only has a +/-12 db for bass and treble.

I am also considering an Eico St 84 or HF 85 and a Scott 130. It really depends on price and availability, but to me it is like McIntosh had contact with the Roswell Aliens or something. Their preamps from about the same time seem like they were functioning on a higher level of technologhy than anyone else.

I know you pay a price for it, but if all you guys agree that the McIntosh is superior, I will probably play and waiting and hoping game to get my hands on an original C22, unless a reissue comes along art a bargain.

What does anyone think a fair price for either the original or the reissue.

Best,

Mike

Hello SAAgain All:

I have a chance to get an original C22 for $1500.00 including shipping and insurance.

Should I go for it?

Do the things that were updated really make a difference? Does the output of the original limit me to cery\tain amps, as one member stated.

I have an unmodified Dynaco ST 70, that I plan to use with it.

Is that the right kind of amp?

Which modern tube amps could I use if I find that I do not like the sound of the Dynaco with the C22.

Sorry for all the questions, but it is a big investment.

Thanks

Mike

----------------

On 2/25/2004 5:56:31 PM Mike Frankel wrote:

Hello SAAgain All:

I have a chance to get an original C22 for $1500.00 including shipping and insurance.

Should I go for it?

Do the things that were updated really make a difference? Does the output of the original limit me to cery ain amps, as one member stated.

I have an unmodified Dynaco ST 70, that I plan to use with it.

Is that the right kind of amp?

Which modern tube amps could I use if I find that I do not like the sound of the Dynaco with the C22.

Sorry for all the questions, but it is a big investment.

Thanks

Mike
----------------

IMO,

Modern preamps are better. I would buy a modern tube preamp (without the extra circuitry and tone controls) for less than $1500, and use the extra funds for a better power amp.

Sort of off the subject, but another McIntosh preamp tale:

I've got a McIntosh C40 preamp and I did a test by bypassing it, running my cd player directly into the output MC300 amp, which has gain pots on the input channels that I could use to control the volume. Then I A/B'd the C40 with the same cd, etc.

I expected to be able to tell a difference hand down, but the bottom line was this:

The volume knob on the C40 was more convienient to use.

THATS IT! the difference in sound quality was not enough to dissuade me from including the preamp in the circuit.

It ain't being lazy, it's just too close to make a change, even to a passive volume control...

I previously had an Audio Research preamp that had a "direct" input on it. Not even close to the C40. The C40 is hands down the best preamp I've ever owned.

DM

Mike, I am selling a similar Mac in order to buy one of Mark Deneen's Blueberry preamps discussed extensively in another thread in this section. It has better specs, better build quality, and thirty years from now will only be hitting a similar age range. $1500 is torward the lower range of pricing for a C22, but it will be far above the league of the ST70. I am in the exact same equipment situation as you and know how these Macs sound with a built Dynaco ST70.

You should check out Mark's preamp thread, and at some time in the future, pull the ST70 into the garage for some fine tuning. Craig does a fair amount of Dynaco rebuild tweaks, and I will dig through posts to see who Ken Johnson had rebuild my Dynaco ST70 in Texas.Maybe Ken will see this and chime in.1.gif

Mike, you will have a very good system, BUT the Dynaco will be the limiting component here. You would rather have a tuner, CD player, or phono being your limiting component, in my view, unless your system is a single source dedicated one.

My preamp is spoken for, and is not a C22. I sent you an e-mail with more details on the above.