Klipschorn placement

richieb

Have had Fortes only five days and am ready to upgrade, Klipschorns I believe. I could use some of your expertise on placement. The room has plenty of space with high, angled ceilings and a recessed area where my Fortes reside. The recess is 9.5 feet wide with side walls, floor to ceiling. One side is 24" deep to the back wall, the other is 36". Are these side walls deep (long) enough for the K-horns? This setting is ideal for the Fortes as they fit nicely between an entertainment center and the side walls, with the corners reinforcing the passive.

Also, e-bay item 3080276697 Klipschorn. Is this a good vintage and what is a good price. This would be ideal buy as the seller offering to deliver to my area - for free. Very generous indeed.

A Newbie to this forum but a past LaScalla, Heresy and current Forte owner. Thak you all in advance for your assistance.

Rich

How big is the main part of your room, and is the recess in the center of one wall, or to the side? The edges of the two K-horns will only be a little over 4 feet apart. The bass waves from the two sides will barely have room to breathe before they start to mix it up with each other. Paul P. is probably right that it's not enough room.

A K-horn is flush with the wall for 22" from the corner, which means 24" is just enough to clear where it is flush with the wall, but NOT enough to visually "cover" the space behind the part that angles away from the wall. In other words, the part of the side of that K-horn that stands away from the wall will project beyond the short 24" wall. This also means the bass horn lens will be incomplete on that side, as bass-horn and false-corner wisdom says that uninterrupted wall length should be more like 44" from the corner.

The 36" wall will just cover the full width of a K-horn. Better.

A larger issue may be whether K-horns can load up and properly disperse their sound in the ENTIRE room, if they are crowded into a narrow recess and far away from the room's actual main corners. The beauty of how K-horns fill a room with sound should depend on sitting in the actual corners, i.e., at room's outer boundaries, the main walls. You might hear poorer dispersion at the sides of the room, which I think K-horns ordinarily are pretty good at.

Larry