separate amplification

steelie

Hi all,

This is my first post on this site and I'm looking for a little advice. I'm considering moving toward separates to run my system and I'm looking at Rotel and Parasound amps. Input on other amps to consider would be good too but I can't see buying something more expensive than Parasound's A51. I'll be connecting the amp to my Denon until I get the funds for a separate processor. Anyway, I'm wondering if I'd be better off buying a 2 channel amp, like the A21, to drive my mains and then a get a smaller 5-channel amp, like the A52, for the rest of my system. Are there any advantages or disadvantages to this sort of approach and does it matter if I power the system with two amps rated at different watt levels? Volume isn't the issue for me but I'd like to get the cleanest, deepest sound I can afford, especially for music.

Thanks in advance for your help

'drew

Steelie,

Running with amps rated at different power outputs probably won't be an issue as long as you balance channel level. That being said, some amps 200W model sounds different than their 350W model.

Personally, I like the idea of getting a separate 2 channel amp: I want to have a clean 2 channel listening sound. When I have my 5 channel amp on for 2 channel music, I can hear a tiny bit of noise from the other speakers. This will also depend on how quiet your preprocessor is.

----------------

On 2/25/2004 3:42:41 PM steelie wrote:

Input on other amps to consider would be good too but I can't see buying something more expensive than Parasound's A51.

----------------

The B&K Reference 200.5 or 200.7 amps are really nice. I have a 200.7 amp myself, which I absolutly love the sound of. I to am connecting my Denon reciever as a pre/pro, and it does work nice. Yeah, getting a seperate 2-channel amp to power the fronts and a 5 channel amp to power the rest is a good idea, since if you want just two-channel listening, using just the two-channel amp should theoretically result in better sound. In my case, getting the 7 channel amp was cheaper for me than getting two amps a 2 channel and 5 channel. Also, when listening to two-channel, I don't get any noise out of my other speakers.

I agree with the other posters on this topic. I run a monster two channel amp for pure stereo listening, and engage my separate two channel amps as required for home theater. If you do decide to go the 2+5 routine (or in my case the 2+2+2 configuration), I would suggest favoring your budget in the direction of a better two channel amp, as opposed to investing the same $ in each channel. You'll find you won't be pushing your surrounds that hard, especially with ultra sensitive Klipsch, making 250 watts x 7 a little bit of overkill. Of course, if your budget permits it, by all means enjoy it!

JMHO,

C

Welcome to the forum.

The parasound a52 and a23 are plenty to drive the reference series and they do a damn nice job too.

The parasounds sound great. I have a pioneer 49txi and since the parasounds have been integrated the sound quality was quickly noticed and take for granted. Having to send back the A52 for a hum in channel 5 the center and surrounds have been connected to the pioneer. The lack of depth is very noticable. The A52 is surely missed. this is not to take away from the pioneer but it jsut cant do what the parasound does.

I was very disappointed in the parasounds when I saw the made in taiwan sticker on the amps. Not sure how much pride goes into building them.

Scott

----------------

On 2/25/2004 6:15:31 PM Bruinsrme wrote:

Welcome to the forum.

The parasound a52 and a23 are plenty to drive the reference series and they do a damn nice job too.

The parasounds sound great. I have a pioneer 49txi and since the parasounds have been integrated the sound quality was quickly noticed and take for granted. Having to send back the A52 for a hum in channel 5 the center and surrounds have been connected to the pioneer. The lack of depth is very noticable. The A52 is surely missed. this is not to take away from the pioneer but it jsut cant do what the parasound does.

I was very disappointed in the parasounds when I saw the made in taiwan sticker on the amps. Not sure how much pride goes into building them.

Scott

----------------

I wonder is the A52 and A23 do the same/similar sound??? I'm interested in getting them in the future.

BTW you are disappointed by the sticker? Comon the majority of computer hardwares are manufactor in Taiwan or Korea now. They do have superior technology other than anywhere in Asia except Japan. And getting close to Japan too.

As long as they sound good and it's in great quality, I don't care if it's made by a child who's not even educated(as long as they have skills to manufactor them 9.gif ).

Thanks for all the quick replies. Reading the posts I got to wondering the same thing ccsakura did but I'm curious how the A21 and A52 match up. Maybe I'll have to test drive the combo to see for myself.

I like the idea of putting together a system 2 channels at a time, but I'm sure I won't be able to pull off getting three new Carver amps2.gif

Maybe three B&K's? They're on my list too but I need to find out more about them. I've read rave reviews about B&K, now I just have to listen to some.

Thanks again for your thoughts

You will easily find a balance. It will only take once.

I set my Mac preamp vol to about 11 O'clock and select the input switch to the Denon.

I then use the Denon volume control for the entire system.

You can adjust the main volume(s) like all of the other channels.

It really isn't a problem.

DM

If you are concerned about 2 channel music than I recommend doing as you suggested. Get a good 2 channel amp and a 3-5 channel amp for the surrounds.

It depends on how much you value your music listening. For me, I listen to stereo music 90% of the time and I'm on my fourth amp in a year and a half trying to find that magic music/HT set-up. I think I've found it using a good stereo amp along with a multi-channel amp for HT but I haven't actually tested it in HT yet, so I can't be certain.

I see. So you still use one nob for the master volume after you've calibrated. I misunderstood but that's interesting. How do the Mac and Denon compare to your ears?

Rotel's 1095 is one of the amps I was considering. It's a five-channel amp if I remember right, so that still leaves room for another two channels down the road, right?

I have the Rotel and love it. It is a 5 channel amp, but they make a 2 channel amp with the same specs if you want to go to a 7.1 system later (I'm considering that now myself). I knew this would be a very good home theater amp - I've been surprised at how good is sounds in 2 channel stereo - really a solid two purpose amp, in my opinion.

i think it depends entirely on your budget, i used to run rotel, and my current b&k avr 507 just is a better product, but in all honesty i never compared it to the 1095, i did have extensive comparisons with the 1075, and b&k won in all aspects, except price, for a reciever you cant go wrong here, seperates do an outstanding job as well the older rotel products are great, but from personal prolonged experiences i have found that currently rotel is having a few problems since they changed manufacturing locations12.gif

My home theater began with a Yamaha A/V receiver. This was a change for me from my two channel days when because I was used to separates there. After a while I bought another Yamaha receiver to get the newer features, H.T. is getting like computers. You buy a new computer and in a year or two it is obsolete, and so is your A/V processor now. Thank God for ebay, now we have a sorce for getting rid of are one or two year old A/V receivers or Pre-Pros.

I pulled out of the closet my old Phase Liner power amp to use on a second pair of rear surrounds. I used it for a while, but I was surprised that it didn't sound as good as the Yamaha amps. I then began looking for a so called high end multi-channel power amp. I looked B&K, Parasound, Cinepro, and McIntosh. I ruled out the Cinepro, because it didn't have the warmer sound of the others. I was after a more tube like sound, but didn't want tubes. I ended up with the McIntosh MC126 Six channel power amp rated 120 watts at 4 ohms and 80 watts at 8 ohms. I took it back the first week, because it didn't have enought power. I then got the MC206 six channel power amp, 200 watts at 4 ohms and 120 at 8 ohms. I've been using the MC206 for almost two years now and have been quite content with it. The 206 has been powering the mains, front and rear center, and one pair of rear surrounds. The Yamaha is powering the front effect channels and the second pair of rear surrounds. I bragged to everyone about the improved sound that I had, do to going with the six channel McIntosh power amp. Tighter bass and more of it, More open and warmer mids and highs.

I've been doing some reasearch on the McIntosh Two channel power amps that have the autoformers in them. I was being told that these two channel amps would sound better then my 206, which I believe to be one of the kings of the multi channel power amps. Last week I broke down and bought the MC202, a 200 watt per channel power amp at any ohms. Well I was guite amazed with the difference. The MC206 six channel amp weights 60 lbs. The MC202 two channel amp weights 75 lbs. I guess the weight alone should have been a hint to me about the difference in the amps. The bass is so powerfull now that sometime I think that it may be too much. I think I need a new sub now. My Sunfire Signature used to be able to just keep up with my Klipschorns, but it is now left in the dust. The mids

and highs may even be a little too warm for my liking, since I improved upon the mid drivers, horn, tweeter, and network already. I am so pleased with this amp I'm going to buy another MC202 to power the front and rear center so my front end speakers all sound the same. I was going to wait to do this, but the mains sound so good now I can't wait to add this amp to the center channel. The MC206 will now be retired to the four rear speakers and the two front effect channels.

The point of this conversation is to say that I believe separate amps to be better then multi channel amps, and multi channel amps to be better then the all in one receivers.

I may be forced to now add a MC202 to a pair of my rear surrounds, but that will have to wait.