RP-5 questions

WhalerCane

Textf>

In my blind enthusiasm, I recently bought a pair of RP-5's, and now of course of I have some questions. I'm afraid I'm a newbie and not very audio literate, so please bear with me.

1.) I paid $1100 for the pair and they are new. Did I make a good deal or get ripped?

2.) I assume Klipsch has dicontinued this product. Any idea why?

3.) Is there a good reciever that will drive these speakers for less than $600 and what are they? If not any suggestions?

4.) Do I need 150 watts per channel or will 100 do?

5.) Will the built in sub woofers do the job or should i consider a seperate sub?

I'm sure i have more, but that is it for now. Thanks!

WhalerCane:

Those speakers originally retailed for $2000 a pair, so you got a great deal. The only reason we are discontinuing them is that they are not a good fit in our new Reference lineup. Don't worry, they are great speakers...welcome to the world of Klipsch!

As far as receivers go, there are many on this Forum with opinions to give you...I pass the torch to them...

PhilH

Save you money, and get a lower powered reciever with the quality your Klipsch speakers deserve. They don't need much power at all, probably 50-60 watts is all you would ever need. Many thirst for more, only because they "can", and if you want all the bells and whistles, you usually have buy additional power as well.

Good luck!

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

I'm not supposed to do this, but if you don't mind buying something 4 years old, I have a Yamaha RX-V990, Dolby Digital-Ready (requires separate processor, read on) 100 X 3, 25 X 2 for rear, .0125% distortion AND a Yamaha DDP-1 Dolby Digital processor (that I've never used, I bought it just so I could bundle these 2 together) for the price you're talking about.

Only thing is, you won't get DTS unless you get another processor for that - if that matters to you...

If not, there are all kinds of receivers around that would push those speakers for less than $500, even less than $300...

I've got a friend looking at a Yamaha HTR-5250 on eBay right now for $250, and it's 100x5 with Dolby Digital and DTS built in...that seller has 5 of them.

Feel free to e-mail me.

There's a Yamaha HTR-5280 w/ Dolby Digital Matrix (6.1) and DTS, 110 x 5, etc, on eBay right now, buy-it-now for 549. It's new in box, retails for $800. Not a bad deal.

LINK

------------------

Front: dbx Soundfield V - 15" woofer, 8" mid, ribbon tweet, 3.25" mid & dome tweet on top

Center: KLF C7

Rear Surround: Polk f/x bipole/dipole

Amp: Yamaha RX-V990 100x5

DVD: Yamaha DVD S795 (built-in DD Processor)

CD: Yamaha CDC 575 5-Disc

VCR: Toshiba M752 6-head

TV: Mitsubishi 40" Tube

DirecTV

Sony Playstation w/ s-vid & RCA connection to V990 for awesome gaming picture & sound!

This message has been edited by drewzter on 06-28-2001 at 11:55 AM

Guest polymon

There are a ton of GREAT receivers out there around $500 from brands like Yamaha, Kenwood and Particularly Onkyo that will work exceptionally well with the RP-5.

I had RP-5s for awhile in a small/medium room with an open-type area to Kitchen and Family room. They sounded great without a sub. Unfortunately the Mrs. didn't go for Black when most of the other decor is oak. Try without-you'll find they have prodigious bass. If you REALLY want a sub, Klipsch has new Rference subs due out in August/September that will match well.

Have fun...

------------------

Polymon

whaler, i had the rp-5 for a while & yea u shouldn't need another sub (u have 2 already). in fact i'd advise against it as it could cause some real bass conflicts.

great price!

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

WhalerCane,you got a great deal.

As far as receivers go,my advice to you would be to audition and bone up on the Denon 2801 or 3300.Also the

SonyES receivers pack a lot of features for the price.

My best advice would be to wait until you can get a Denon 3801,or other 7 channel receiver.

No, you don't need 150 watts to drive the speakers.The lower end is powered.You could drive them with a transistor radio.They would sound like you were using a transistor radio,too.Save money.Buy a good receiver the first time around.Build a GOOD system one piece at the time if you have to.

Get the timbre matching center and rear speakers(if interested in HT)and get a sub last if you want one.

You won't need one, and if you buy one early you won't cry about wasting your money on something you didn't need.

Use line level to low end of RP's,carefully adjust bass

gain,and enjoy.

Bear in mind that I do not have RP's and generally don't know what I'm talking about.

Keith

Whaler,one more thing.

Years ago,when I had a life,I fished for a hobby.I bought several boats over a period of time.About a year after the first purchase,I decided I needed a larger outboard(needed more power).I traded motors for around $2500.Had I purchased the larger outboard originally,I could have saved $1500(traded used motor/depreciation) and enjoyed the more powerful motor from the get-go.I learned a lesson.

Several years later a friend of mine decided he'd buy himself a new boat and,while at the dealership,asked me what horsepower outboard I thought he needed.I told him to check the Coast Guard plate on the boat.The plate tells you how much power you need.If you buy the more powerful motot now,I told my friend,you'll save money in the long run and be happier with your purchase

all the while.You'll have the extra power you need,when

you need it,and realize better performance.He wisely bought the maximum rated horsepower outboard for his boat and is happy with it to this day.

WhalerCane,check the plate on the RP's.

Sorry about the fishy analogy,but its true.Use it for what its worth.

Keith

talktoKieth is right on target! I live by the addage "Too much is just enough". Some mistake that for WAY too much, I only require "Just more than enough". Don't settle for too little.

------------------

Thanks,

Bill Dillon

Mains: LaScalas

Center: KLF C7

Front Effects: None Yet

Rears: Chorus IIs

Rear Center: None Yet

Sub: Velodyne CT150

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V3000

DVD: Sony 560D

TV: Toshiba 61" 61H70

Thanks all for your responses. I get that basically, I good reciever of my preference will do without needing to be high powered, but that if I can pull it off, I should go ahead and get something I like that puts out 150 watts because there is a fair chance I will be going back and wishing I did.

I understand this. I bought a 36' vega, and now I'm wishing I got the XBR.

Any advise on a center channel with the RP-5's. I read in another thread that the RC-7 did not mix well. Is there much difference between a RSC-1 and a RC-3, and which would be better for my speakers.

once again, thanks for all of your comments.cwm11.gif

This message has been edited by WhalerCane on 06-28-2001 at 10:02 PM

The proper center match is the RC-3. Not the SC-1.

On the topic of power, while it is true that nothing exceeds like excess (or to use my life long motto, anything worth doing is worth overdoing) I want to offer just a brief comment on power. There will be NO audible difference in volume between 100 watts and 150 watts. This is because the relationship between volume and power is logrithmic not linear. You are much better off with a higher quality 100 watt per channel model than with a lower quality model that delivers 150 watts. There are differences which are not revealed by the power rating. Always buy the best quality you can afford.

• 18 years later...

RP-5 Wiring/Function.

I recently acquired a pair of RP-5's and do not know much about them.

I assumed that the 12" subs were stand alone and inactive without low level input.

However, I noticed that the sub amp assembly is directly connected to the "Low" speaker posts.

It appears that the 12" woofer is active with just the speaker level input?

Thanks