Check your wave/direct sound setting

Merricus

I was listening to Mp3s and noticed that the Pros did not sound as loud and the hiss in the background was more noticeable. I thought something had gone bad with the preamp or someting but as it turned out the wave/direct sound setting in volume control had been turned down to about half. Make sure this is set to the maximum. It makes a world of difference in overall sound quality.

It depends on your card. From my experience, the SB Live cards get crackly when wave/direct sound is up too high, but most other cards respond well to having the wave sound maxed.

What I do (I have an SB PCI512) is have the wave/direct sound and master volume in windows maxed. Then I just use the control pod volume knob and it sounds great. Since the pros are never turned up very high from the preamp, hiss isn't a problem and it sounds excellent.

I 've got sblive x-gamer, and i just started to lower my pc volume to 50% and bumping up the pro's to 75/80%.

SOUNDS FANTASTIC, NO HISS smile.gif

Although when i watch dvd's i bring the pc volume up to 75/90%.

Just last sunday i watched The Matrix (again smile.gif) and pc was 80%, pro's were 75% and man, that's the loudest i could stand watching a movie.c>

My sub is located under my desk/feet and not only was the floor shaking, so was my chair.

My printer's paper tray was making a lot of noise, maybee i should contact HP and ask for a quieter tray wink.gif

Baz wrote:

quote:

I 've got sblive x-gamer, and i just started to lower my pc volume to 50% and bumping up the pro's to 75/80%.

SOUNDS FANTASTIC, NO HISS

I have the original SBLive full version and along with the CP-1 preamp on my v.2-400's and I pretty much have to run the sound card at under 75% volume. This card is pretty noisy and turning it's volume level down helps alot with the hiss level (I do have all unused inputs muted) and gives you more control when adjusting the volume on the CP-1.

Baz wrote:

quote:

My printer's paper tray was making a lot of noise, maybee i should contact HP and ask for a quieter tray

Hehe....maybe you should ask them for a whole new printer instead....free upgrades for life (or even when your paper tray starts acting up)! biggrin.gif

hmm i hear hissing on mine above 1:00 volume. i have my main volume at 50%, cd, wave, midi, at 100%, and everything else muted. even when i try changing the levels around it still hisses above 1:00. is there a problem with my sound card or promedias?

actually i just realized i still hear the hiss at 11:00 and above. i just raised my main volume to 75% so its regular listening level at 10:00. i also checked my connections...i dunno whats wrong. maybe dust?

ok merricus, i just realized i was wrong. i can max out my wave volume with no change in quality, its the volume control to the left that makes it buzz and crackle. i can still put volume control at about 90%. with volume and wav at 90% each, halfway on the speakers is uncomfortable loud tho smile.gif i just realized i dont think i have ever maxed these out. i need to move em out of my room so i can blast em and see how loud they are .. heh.