KG vs KLF debate. Who is King?

t-man

Ok people.. Over time, I have heard several informal comparisons between the KG 5.5 and current, err..discontinued KLF series speakers. How do you all think the KG 5.5 matches up? What do you suppose the differences are bewteen a KG 5.5, and say a KLF 20?

Any opinions out there?

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

T-man, the difference beteen the KG's and the KLF's I noticed is that the KLF's have a higher treble sound to them. Also the KLF's have bigger magnets so there is more power coming out of them. You get more range of sound from the KLF's. Other than that they sound almost identical. KLF 10's are actually identical to the 5.5's. Very simular to each other.

Yea Montigue, looking at the specs the KLF10 seems very similar to the KG 5.5. The KLF 20 is a 3-way speaker, though.

IT seems wierd that despite the similarities between the KLF 10 and the KG 5.5 that the Klipsch website (new and old version) chose to mate the RC-3 with the KG 5.5 instead of the C-7, which was given honors to the KLF 10. Sounds dumb to me, which suggests there must be some major differences between the two speakers??!!

Anybody here demo both for an opinion? Have you actually A/B'd the two, Monty?

Thanks,

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

I havent A/B the two of them T-man but listening to the C-7 and looking at the KLF 10's schematics I can tell you for sure there is almost no difference between a KG 5.2 / KG 5.5 vs a KLF 10.

It would be totally senceless to have a high end KG series speaker and want to upgrade to a KLF 10. But a KLF 30..that would be much better indeed. Same sound but just a lot more of it.

who ever said the RC-3 would be a better match than the C-7 w/ the KG's is totally wacked out of there skulls. I listened to the RC-3 and it sounds like a aluminum can compared to the C-7. The RC-3 can't even hold it's own against the KG 2.2.

Monty

This message has been edited by montigue on 07-08-2001 at 03:16 AM

I replaced a set of 5.5's with KLF 20's in January. The biggest difference that I found was batter clarity on vocals. The 20's were much better at producing voices, male or female than my 5.5's. With movies it doesn't seem to be that big of a difference since the center is taking care of most of the dialog. On music however the difference was very obvious. As far as the center to use the 20, 5.5, and C7 all share the same tweeter diaphragm so it would seem that the C7 would be the best choice. I used a C7 with both the 5.5's and the 20's and was very hapy until I built my 5.5 center. Now I am even happier.cwm1.gif

Q.

I would tend to rely on the opinion of someone whom has actually A/Bed the two.Send Flason a PM t-man.Or better yet do a search for his post where he gives his opinion/results of the question you ask.Regards,

Keith