RB-75s

cjgeraci

I am going to order RB-75s from a local dealer tomorrow. The last time I demoed these speakers, I did not look at the bottoms. The Klipsch site says that RB-75s have "bottom panel threaded inserts (to bolt to a speaker stand)."

1. Does anyone know where these inserts are located on the bottom?(corners? what size threads?)

2. Does Klipsch recommend bolting these bookshelves to the stands for increased bass response?

3. Do RB-75s owners have any recommendations for stands, and if so, where did you pick them up?

Thanks.

Carl.

-----------------------------------------

(projected) Samsung TXN3245FP,Harmon Kardon AVR 7200,Denon DVD-2900,RB75s, RC7, RF3IIs,RC3II,SVS 20-39PCi,SVS PB2-ISD

Yamaha RX-V1300,Onkyo SKS-HT500,Axiom QS-8,HSU VTF-2

• 2 weeks later...

I just got them and was more than dismayed to find that they only have two holes in the bottom center of the speaker. I am bnot yet sure what thread size other than I know the scres from my Omnimount 75s fit perfectly.

I called Klipsch to ask them what gives and they replied that they do not recommend putting them on omniounts like i had my KG2.5s since they are not constucted as well (no dados (strong wood joint)). The two holes are there to simply prevent them from being knocked off a stand.

I am still going to put them on a new set of omnimounts (60s) since I have figured out a way, knowing that as soon as I drill into the cabinet I am going to void the cabinet warranty.

Get the sturdiest, most stable stands that you can afford for those monsters, preferably with a large steel column that you can fill with sand, and a large top plate. Using mounting screws should not really be an issue unless you know there's a high probablility that they'll be bumped or hit with a frisbee/nerf ball....as the RB-75's are pretty heavy, but maybe you might need the screw if the stand's top plate is only 6" x 6". Using stands is the best choice for mounting "bookshelf speakers" if you do have the floor space. Bass could get too muddy or boomy if the speakers are on a shelf up against a wall, but with stands you can (and should) place them at least 1-2 feet from the walls. Weak and wobbly stands rob the speaker of bass and overall performance because some of the speaker's energy will be lost if the stand wobbles or resonates when program material is played. Really, a marble pillar would make an ideal speaker stand, but that's just not practical for most folks.

Don't skimp on stands. Here's one page with choices. If I had RB-75's, I'd probably be considering something like the Lovan BA2 or Sound Organization Z570 models on this page:

http://www.racksandstands.com/asp/show_cat.asp?catid=10

Solid maple stands make for awesome stands to. If you wanted to go with a wood look. Make your own wheew are they expensive. There is a speaker stand and wood working company on ebay. That runs out of PA i wonder if they would make a custum stand for you out of maple. Just type in speaker stands and look for what i am talking about. They are making hand made speaker stands for like 60 dollars not bad and your pick of stain. See if they would go the extra mile and make them out of maple.

I agree with Whadyasay. After some reconsideration, I do not think that screwing these beasts to the stands is necessary. My toddler is not allowed in this room, and there is no chance of the speakers getting hit by a foreign object such as a tennis ball.

A Klipsch technician suggested going with the ones pictured with the RB-75s on this website (appear to be Sanus NF30s), but those stands appear somewhat questionable with a speaker of this girth (plus the small base plate size of the NF30s). Whadyasay, both the Lovan and Sound Organizations options you previously suggested are probably the way to go. I am still trying to decide between those two stands to see which suits my eyes the best. Again, thanks for your suggestions.

Leprechaun: how do you like your RB-75s? I am still waiting to receive mine to complete the upgrade puzzle.

---------------

Carl.

Samsung TXN3245FP, Harmon Kardon AVR 7200, Denon DVD-2900, RB75s(ordered), RC7, RF3IIs, RC3II, SVS PB2-ISD, SVS 20-39PCi

Yamaha RX-V1300, Onkyo SKS-HT500, Axiom QS-8, HSU VTF-2

Again, thanks Whadyasay for your input. I ended up ordering a pair of Sound Organisation Z570s. That should hold the fort for a while......10.gif

-----------------------------

Samsung TXN3245FP, Harmon Kardon AVR 7200, Denon DVD-2900, RB75s(ordered), RC7, RF3IIs, RC3II, SVS PB2-ISD, SVS 20-39PCi (stacked)

Yamaha RX-V1300, Onkyo SKS-HT500, Axiom QS-8, HSU VTF-2

• 2 weeks later...

I like them quite a bit. I have not driven them too much yet and I primarily watch movies so it is hard to isolate them. They do seem a far cry better than my other speakers. If I had them down low on stands I am sure they would sound better where I have mine up on the wall. Had to do it though since 1.) My room congig. would not lend itself to stands. 2.) I have two small kids. 3.) I have two big dogs. 4.) I have two cats with VERY sharp claws.

Good Luck.

• 7 years later...

I like them quite a bit. I have not driven them too much yet and I primarily watch movies so it is hard to isolate them. They do seem a far cry better than my other speakers. If I had them down low on stands I am sure they would sound better where I have mine up on the wall. Had to do it though since 1.) My room congig. would not lend itself to stands. 2.) I have two small kids. 3.) I have two big dogs. 4.) I have two cats with VERY sharp claws.
Good Luck.

I apologize for resurrecting this very old thread but I am currently trying to figure out a way to mount my RB-75s on a ceiling. My question is more for leprechaun since it sounds like he mounted it to a wall. You said you ended up drilling into the speaker - where at exactly? Up high on the back? With what size screws and how did you mount it? Any help or pics would be greatly appreciated. You can check out my thread here to see diagram of my room. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/p/154364/1625023.aspx#1625023