Cable TV amp for tiling/drop-out?

Colin

My 25-year old coaxial cabling apparently loses enough dB that my higher cable channels (Sex in the City and the Sopranos!) suffer from tiling or bit drop-out. :( I dropped down to four outlets (including cable modem) but that only helped a bit. I want to put an amplifier on the box in the attic, but I am worried about actual improvement, cost and high Florida temperatures. Any experience, any suggestions?

Thank you in advance, best audio web site, for all your help,

Colin

You have rg59 you need to upgrade to rg6 dual or quad sheilding. rg59 has high freq. rolloff. belden rg6 cost about $60 to $70 per 1000ft. The cable co. and sats all use rg6 now. You will see the difference. And look at your splitters they need to go to 1 gig some of the older ones only went to 500 or 750 mhz so this is your other problem. If you run new cable I would run two lines of rg6 and two lines of cat5 or cat6. when you sell your house it will be a good selling point but you may find it useful now. I just upgraded 10,000ft the splitters and amps at the tv station. Yes its a big system 4 drops and maybe 60 or 70 tv sets. we needed to upgrade for hdtv.

Colin,

Are you running any ground isolation devices like the Mondial Magic? The reason I ask is that I experienced a similar problem, only to find out that the Mondial Magic (at least the unit I had) did not pass the full bandwidth spectrum as required by digital cable. I removed the device and all was fine.

Colin

(the other one)

Actually, that super-expensive ($50!) Radio Shack amplified splitter did wonders at a friend's place. He had a Terk TV55 that was doing OK, but couldn't keep consistent lock on the local HD channels. We grimaced as we installed that thing in replacement of a basic 4-way (unpowered) splitter - and it was a night and day improvement. Stuff was coming in like the towers were right next door!

Yeah, the cable guy wanted $45 to install a powered splitter, I asked about the Radio Shack model, and he thought it was crap, but that it what I was wondering about, a $5 cable is a lot cheaper than pulling new wires, thought I just added a $30 hub to my home network, so I dont see why a $45 cable amplifier should be such a problem, just dont know which one to get or if there are other alternatives.