Placement and mounting of RB-35 surrounds ?

markmaple

I just received my RB-35s that I will be using for surrounds. I will be mounting them flush on the walls using the single keyhole on the back. I want to mount over a stud since the speakers weigh 24 lbs each. The problem is the studs on the facing walls are not aligned. I can either have them offset by about 8-9 inches or I can mount one using a wall anchor. What would everyone suggest?

I'm kind of a remodeling geek, so here goes:

There is NO WDRYALL ANCHOR that will support this amount of weight for any significant period of time. Remember, this is not a picture frame, that baby is VIBRATING! BTW- nice matched system. If you're good at drywall repair, you can open up a cavity and put a block between the studs where you want to hang the cabinet. Alternately, hang a short shelf ( 18" or so) between the studs where you want to place the cabinet, which will support the weight, then velcro the bottom of cabinet to shelf, or use the 'hanging' bracket just to keep the speaker in position.

8-9" offset may not be terribly significant, depending on your listening position. Try building a temporary set of stands to experiment with this speaker position (before you make holes in your walls) and see how it sounds. I'm always one for the practical simple approach of testing and listening vs all this theory and construction.

When handing into studs, drive a 4p nail into drywall at several points, to make sure you find the center of the stud (they're only 1 1/2" wide) so your mounting screw goes into center of stud. Use a #10 or 1/4 screw at least 2 1/2" long, remembering that some will stick out, 1/2" of screw is only in drywall, and you want at least 1 - 1/2 of screw securely into stud. The best way is to drill a small pilot hole first, only the diameter of the shaft of the screw, so the threads will still have lots of wood to 'bite' into. Remember to put small plastic 'bumpon'or felt pads on rear corners of speaker to reduce vibration with wall or drywall damage.

Good listening!

Colterphooto1, thanks for the response. You make a real good point about the fact that the speaker will be vibrating. I hadn't thought of adding a board between the studs. I think this is the way that I will go. The bummer is that I just painted that wall over the last couple of weeks. Oh well!

I hadn't thought about the velcro. That's a great idea to stabilize everything. Still, ask a hardware store about an anchor. I hung a 20 plus pound metal sun for my girlfriend using one, at the recommendation of a hardware guy who said some anchors could hold well above 20 pounds. Granted, it's not vibrating or anything but if you can find one it beats opening a wall to cross a stud with a shelf.

Still loving the sound from those RB 35s now. I wish I would have found out that position earlier. Now the RS7s are no longer on my list of what's next to buy and I can focus on my amplifier. (A new sub would be good too)

Hey, look at it this way, at least you have matching paint to cover up the patch. If you have a cordless drill, use it to 'toenail' 2 1/2 drywall screws to firmly attach your 2x4 block to the studs in the wall cavity. You can place your block 'flat' to the drywall and it will be easier to install and give you more room to place your hanging screw. (hope this makes sense- hard to describe construction) IM me for more details on blocking and patching a stud wall.

Me, I'll be tearing out the 70's wallpaper from the 3800 sf home I just bought yesterday! Lotta fun- better get the destructo rock blaring!