Hoosiers

TBrennan

Men of 44th Indiana Infantry. These fellas fought in Tennessee and Georgia and plundered their way from Atlanta to The Sea with Uncle Billy. They are typical of the young Midwesterners who tore the heart out of The Rebellion in Kentucky, Tennessee, Mississippi and Georgia.

Pretty rough lookin' set of men. Note the sergeant at the left; one of the smallest men in the group and evidently one of the toughest.

post-6913-13819253336136_thumb.jpg

Just to add a little bit of history too. There was a "General Hoosier" in the Army. When the north and south civil war was over many of these younger "kids" who were 14 and up who had left their farms and families and joined the war. They looked at "General Hoosier" as an "adopted dad" so to speak. Between Indiana and Kentucky boarders, (which KY was an indepenedent state although ask anyone from KY they will say is was def the KY was def. in the south...LOL ) many of these young men settled in southern Indiana and were known as Hoosiers men.. or simply Hoosiers.

I live in Indiana...and I have studied this in my own research and reading from the Indiana Historical Society journals and I believe this to be about as close as we can to the "real" understanding where the name Hoosiers comes from. Now Kentucky would love to say it is about people knocking on your door and saying Who-Is-There.. Or Who-is-your daddy???

We, too, have Kentucky jokes.... Like if you get a divorce from your wife in Kentucky, can you still call yourself brother n sister? LOL Silly, funny, I am sure Politically in-correct stuff that just makes fun of people and eachother. KY.... Where men are men, and sheep are scared. I am sure the same jokes anyone has from a neighboring state applies here too.

As far as the little guy... that seems to be "big little man" complex. I have a close friend he is all of 5'8" and was a drill sargent in the marines for 15 yrs. That's a lot of butt kicking getting guys into shape. I know he is amazingly strong, and could kick about 99.9999999% of anyones *** anytime, anywhere! I used to ask him what if you get someone say 6' 5", you know, 230 lbs in great shape, a young kid that I know would kick my own *** just looking at me? He said, "Thats the first kid I go after." "If the recruits could see I could kick his ***... They would never think twice about coming after me." I asked him have you ever lost? He said, "One time I got beat up some but I didn't quit...after about 10 min of fighting the recruit said he was sorry after I tired him out and I had a good choke hold on him... as he tapped out. And he was never was a problem after that.

He has never had a fight out of the service that I know of, very driven, and pretty successful out in the non military world now.

That Sergant on the right in the picture looks like Dale Earnhardt, the Private next to him could pass for Jr!

I have one of those Springfield rifles Model of 1861 that has been in my family since one of my ancestors brought it home from the war. He was from the Putnam, Connecticut area.My family has ties to that area that pre-date the Revolutionary War. And to New England from the Mayflower's second trip. They settled Duxbury, Massachusetts Bay Colony in that era.

Rick

Rick---Do you shoot the Springfield? My best friend owns the P-53 Enfield that his great whatever grandfather, one of Sherman's Illinoisans, used in the war. Rifle is in excellent shape, I tell him he should put a dry charge in it and fire on the 4th of July seeing as his ancestor was at Vicksburg which surrendured on the 4th of July.

The P-53 is the rifle the Hoosiers in the photo are armed with. Looks almost identical to a Springfield, especially in a black and white photo.