Owens Corning 700 Series Rigid Fiberglass

artto

I finally found a local supplier in the Chicago area. Roselle Building Materials, Roselle. 630-894-5200

These are 2'x4', sold at a minimun of one 'bundle' which equals 48 sq.ft. (6 panels)

FR705 unfaced 4" is $3.85/sq.ft. ($184.80)

FR705 unfaced 3" is $2.90/sq.ft. ($139.20)

Lead time is about 2 weeks.

Thinner versions are correspondingly less$.

I didn't get pricing on FR703 because its not as dense & doesn't have as much low frequency absorption.

Thanks to Griffinator for supplying the Owens Corning link to their spec sheets which apparently even OC customer service couldn't find!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

artto beat me to the punch on the spec link, but here's another one dealing with acoustical performance. Seems much of it has already been mentioned in the HT/listening room thread, but I found it good reading none the less.

http://www.owenscorning.com/comminsul/faq-acoustical.asp

Ineresting that they claim thickness has a greater effect on sound absorbtion than density. Would that be because a greater portion of an individual wave would be inside the panel at any given time?

Champaigntheir answers are sort of ambiguous. But they specifically point out that they are referring to fiber glass insulation. And go on to say Thickness is the most important acoustical property of fiber glass insulation in terms of its contribution to high STC ratings. Theyre not talking about absorption.

A STC or Sound Transmission Class rating has to do with sound transmission, not absorption. These are 2 very different issues. STC ratings are usually considered as part of a construction or building system. In other words, one component in relation to how its used with other materials & methods of construction (ie: 1/2 gypsum secured directly to 2x4 studs, FR705 insulation in between the studs).

Even though their NRC ratings (absorption) for #705 vs. #703 show the same absorption at 125Hz at the same thickness, keep in mind these values are for 1 & 2 thick material. If the tests went to lower frequencies & the thicker materials were used you would start to see a difference between 703 & the denser 705. 125Hz is only the lower end of the mid bass range.

Keep in mind, that for the most partdensity (mass) = blocking. Porous / fibrous = absorption. The larger the surface area and/or depth of the material, the more impact it will have on longer wavelengths (bass) All materials have some combination of the two.

May I just say that it's sure damn handy to have an architect on the forum? Not to mention griffs outstanding inputs, plus others that have have thrown in their $.02. If any of you ever need a wiring diagram, technical advise, service bulletin check, or anythng else for your vehicles, give me a shout. I feel I owe a few favors.

Ran into this stuff while looking at some other materials from the same manufacturer.

http://www.illbruck-sonex.com/prodb_SNX_PanOneTech.html

Looking at the specs between this and the OC 700 panels, it seems like this stuff has very similar SAC #'s except at the lowest, 125 Hz range. Is it safe to assume that is because it's density is only .5 to .7 lbs/c.f as opposed to the 700s' 3.0 to 6.0 lbs? It would make it significantly easier to mount in some areas, but since I believe it's those lower frequencies we're most concerned with, the benefits of easy mounting would be more than offset by it's poorer low end performance?

----------------

On 3/12/2004 5:03:22 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

May I just say that it's sure damn handy to have an architect on the forum? Not to mention griffs outstanding inputs, plus others that have have thrown in their $.02. If any of you ever need a wiring diagram, technical advise, service bulletin check, or anythng else for your vehicles, give me a shout. I feel I owe a few favors.

----------------

Actually, I need a service manual for a '90 Toyota Tercel V6 - any chance you could hook me up? 9.gif

I have the whole thing here, except it's on DVD. The Haynes and Chiltons are ok, but they seem to have quite a bit of generalizations in them. I could probably get you a paper factory manual at a 30-40% discount, but won't be able to check availability until Monday. However, if there are any particular questions you have, I could get the info printed off the shop puter and fax it to you.

----------------

On 3/13/2004 1:18:32 PM Champagne taste beer budget wrote:

A 90 Tercel with a V-6? I thought it sounded odd, didn't have a listing in the computer, checked a filter catalog, no listing, checked a gasket catalog, no listing. Sure it's not a Camry?

*edit* I guess I gotta assume you know what MODEL of car you drive. lol The Tercel should have a 1.5L 3E-E engine.

----------------

Ooops.

It's a Camry wagon. My bad. It was given to me a couple days ago - I'm still getting familiar with it.