Owens Corning 700 Series Rigid Fiberglass

artto

That's what I thought at first, too. Looking at pickys' post in another thread, he said he's on roughly tube #30 of caulf @$3.15 each, call it $100. Not sure how much the bat style insulation is, but I'd guess $2-300 for the amount required for all the walls and the ceiling? Just called Home Depot, $28 for a bag of 15" that covers 77.5 sq.ft., so figure I'd need $323 worth. $425 so far, another $300 to eliminate all the labor of cauling everything and know for sure that there are no air leaks? hmmmm.. debatable, but interesting, still waiting to hear other thoughts on the spray foams' qualities or anyone with experience with it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expanded foam is a closed pore insulator.... therefore has no acoustic benefit other than sealing and its own mass. Hurd is right about its fire hazards and (Canadian) code requires it to be fireproofed when used inside a wood structure. You can simply use caulk and polyethylene to seal the air leaks in your wall. You can also use a acoustic/thermal door seal and a drop sill (seuil tombant) for your door.

Be careful of electrical plugs, plumbing, and ventilation ducts especially.

Rob

This is an open pore polyurethane, specifically designed for this application. It lists some burn characteristic specs on the technical info page, but I have no idea what they mean. I'll have to check that out. Again, it was just a thought lying in bed trying to fall asleep, thought I'd bounce it of you guys, I knew you'd have the right recommendations. Thanks.

----------------

On 3/12/2004 1:23:29 PM artto wrote:

I finally found a local supplier in the Chicago area. Roselle Building Materials, Roselle. 630-894-5200

These are 2'x4', sold at a minimun of one 'bundle' which equals 48 sq.ft. (6 panels)

FR705 unfaced 4" is $3.85/sq.ft. ($184.80)

FR705 unfaced 3" is $2.90/sq.ft. ($139.20)

----------------

Artto, I finally found a place local that has this stuff, but he tells me there is no 4" thick 705.

He also asked me about board thickness or something like that? Do you know what he would be talking about?

m00n: you might want to find out pricing and suppliers for Roxul mineral wool insulation products in the U.S. The acoustical properties of the Roxul semi rigid board product I looked at ( Rxl 40 ), is very good, if not better than the Owens Corning fr 705.

In 4" thickness, it is $ 1.25 Canadian a square foot. It is manufactured out of basalt rock and slag ( mineral wool fiber ), it will not absorb water, does not burn and sheds less than a comparable fibreglass product.

I found a local wholesaler who brought me in a bundle ( 4 sheets of 2' x 4' 4" thick ) for $ 40 cdn. ( roughly $30.00 usd ) If anyone else would like a look at the products they offer, the website is www.roxul.com. $ 3.85 u.s. a square foot for Owens corning 705 4" is a little on the steep side, I think. The roxul rxl 40 is less than 1/6th the price and will work just as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought some of you into the room treatment thing might find this information interesting. If you snoop around in there, there is a lot of interesting stuff.

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=26;t=000146

Strictly acoustics, so don't go looking for any amp/pre/interconnect/speaker wire info. Or arguements/flames. Kinda nice for a change. 15.gif