Sony ES Receivers

Dman155

I am looking at a Sony STRV333ES but I've also seen STR-DA333ES's on eBay. Whats the difference? I've had a hard time finding info on the ES line, even Sony's website is less then elaborate. Post links to reviews if you know of any, and anywhere there's a detailed list of specs. Thanks.

Also, if you use an ES receiver with klipsch, tell me what you think.

Dman,

I've used a Sony ES reciever since 1994 and have never had a minutes problem with it.

Just yesterday plugged up Jurassic Park laserdisc with KG5.5's,C7,S6's and SW12II. I still can't believe the sound after all these

years,and Pro Logic at that.I've heard others

bad mouth Sony products, but I've had good luck with the many Sony products I've owned.

The only advice I can give you is to be certain that the reciever you buy will work for you for any future component you may want to use with your system.Its probably going to be around quite a while smile.gif

Not my opinion... smile.gif

Here are some specs..

Sony STR-DA333ES

80 watts per channel x5 8 ohms 20 - 20,000 Hz, 0.05% THD

Equal power to all five channels -- Left, Right, Center, Left-Rear and Right-Rear -- important for theater-quality Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic Surround Sound

24 bit Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby Prologic decoding

32 bit DSP engine supports Digital Cinema Sound Processing

5.1 channel input for future surround formats

Preamp outputs for front, rear, center, and subwoofer

2-way pre-programmed LCD Remote Control pre-programmed to operate many brands of A/V equipment

4/8 ohm switching

4 optical digital inputs

1 optical digital output

1 coaxial digital input

5 analog audio inputs/ 2 outputs

5 video inputs/ 3 outputs all with S-Video

Built-in Dolby® Digital (AC-3®) decoder enables digital sound that is far more dynamic, spacious and realistic; generates digital multi-sound which separate discrete Left, Right, Center, Left Surround, Right Surround and (LFE) Subwoofer channels. Includes digital inputs for DVD, DTV and other products

DTS® Digital Theater Sound processing

Digital Signal Processing (DSP) with 29 preset acoustic environments to reproduce music in the appropriate setting

Digital Cinema Sound system -- a Sony exclusive that recreates the precise acoustics of three movie production dubbing stages at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, California; you'll hear movies the way the producers and directors heard them

Digital Cinema Sound Virtual 3D, Virtual Multi-Dimension and Studio Mix Modes overcomes limitations in rear speaker placement

Dolby Pro Logic® Surround Sound brings home all the excitement and emotional impact of movie sound tracks; decodes and amplifies all the surround channels already encoded in most movie videocassettes and Laserdiscs, many TV dramas and sports broadcasts

Dual Monitor outputs for video monitoring

Discrete output transistors amplifier refinement that offers high speed, high current capacity and low distortion

Two AC outlets

Speaker binding posts for secure, high-quality connection to high-tech speaker cables

Five year "limited" warranty

STRV333ES

110 Watts x 5, 20-20,000Hz, 8 ohms, 0.05% THD (in surround mode)

110 Watts x 2, 20-20,000Hz, 8 ohms, 0.05% THD (in stereo mode)

24 Bit + Dual 32 Bit Digital Signal Processing

Virtual Matrix 6.1 Mode

Digital Cinema Sound - Cinema Studio EX A/B/C Modes

Concert Hall Modeling for Enhanced Music Reproduction

Multi-Room/Multi-Source Audio Output

Analog Direct Switch for complete DSP bypass and pure stereo signal

5.1 Multi-Channel Inputs: 1 Set Multi-Room/Multi-Source.

On Screen Display: On Screen Graphical Display for simple setup and simplified daily use.

Remote Control: 2-Way LCD Remote Control with Learning and Macro Capability

Rear Audio/Video Outputs.

Rear S-Video Input: 4

Rear S-Video Output.

Rear Audio/Video Inputs.

Front Audio/Video Inputs.

Front S-Video Input: 1

Headphone Jack: 1 Digital Inputs (Coax).

Digital Inputs (Optical). Surround Power Rating: 110 Watts x 5

Stereo Power Rating: 110 Watts x 2 A/B Speaker Switching.

Tuner: AM/FM Analog Audio Inputs.

ES 5-Year Limited Warranty

Dimensions (WxHxD): 17 x 6-7/8 x 16 inches

Weight: 35 lbs. 3oz (approx. unpacked

I will look for more

Here are some reviews:

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/AVReceiver/product_67156.shtml - STR-V333ES

http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/AVReceiver/product_6492.shtml - STR-DA333ES

I have a sonyda30es receiver, similar to the 333 you are looking at, I just bought the complete line of klipsch reference speakers, rf3's, center, rears & ksw12 sub, love my receiver & speakers, for the money I think sony puts out a great product tons of hookups, the only problem you'll find is that there is too much flexability, there are tons of setup options, almost makes me wish the days of plug it in and hit play were back! To let you know though I am haveing one problem and I posted it the rf3's are very weak on bass, I know i'm gonna get told i'm crazy but that's the way it is for me and hopefully I'll fix the problem. One other thing that might help you in deciding if you haven't allready yet, all of my systems components are sony and 7 years to date HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM how unbelievable is that! My favorite component: Sony da55 dolby digital sattalite receiver, this thing kicks butt GREAT remote! email me if you have any questions.

I have the DA-555ES and love it. I think that it was a real price at $1000 msrp (I only paid $500 as a benifit of my wife working for sony). Never one once of trouble in the 1.5 years that I have had it. I hear Denon is a nice match but I would have to buy the 5800 to get any real upgrade and that is $3000 compared to $1000. The only thing that I don't have that I would have liked is Dual room/Dual source capabilities.

By the way I have the reference line and can't imagine them sounding better on another receiver. (maybe because I upgraded from another Sony)

------------------

Come on honey why can't I spend some more money?

I have the DA555ES aslo w/KLF30 mains, C7 center, KSFS5 rears and a deftech 15" sub. I upgraded to the Sony from a Yamaha. When I first turned on the Sony, I remember thinking that I liked the 2 channel sound better with the Yamaha. Now that I've had it for awhile, I guess I'm used to the Sony! For home theater, I like the Sony's sound fields better. The virtual 3D surround modes are awesome. EQ and speaker control lets you tailor the sound to your ears and to your room.

If you can find a DA555ES, you can probably pick it up for around $550-600. 120w per with all the bells. Big bang for the buck, plus a 5 year warranty. Buy it.

• 1 month later...

HTADDICT -

Part of the problem you may be getting with lack of bass is in the receiver. I know Sony makes some very fine products, of which, I have a few, but amplifier designers they are not! A higher current amp may be your solution. I prefer the Denon, but there are many others like: HK, Yamaha, and NAD to name a few.

I have not seen your other postings, but if you try a higher current amp, you might just be suprised how much bass those RF-3's will produce.

------------------

RF-3's : mains

RC-3 : center

RS-3's : surrounds

KSW10 X 2 : subwoofers

Receiver: Denon 2801

DVD: Panasonic DVD-A120

CD: Yamaha CDC-765

Cables: Tributaries

Sat Receiver: Hughes Direct-TV DD5.1