RC-7s with Cornwalls? Will it work?

texas42

I'm looking to upgrade my center channel but only have 26" of space for my center. This effectively rules out the KV-4 and KLF-C7 to use with my Cornwalls. I know the academy is the 'recommended' center for heritage speakers but I refuse to pay an inflated price for one. The RC-7 seems like a well built, accurate center that would only be used for home theater. As my Yamaha RX-V1400 has dedicated program to compensate for timbre and sound levels, do you think this would be the best match considering space available? I've also ruled out using a single Heresy (well, actually the WAF wasn't too high on this) 8.gif I didn't like the way it looked either, come to think of it. Any ideas appreciated...

Colterphoto1 loves his rc-7 with Cornwalls, I believe. Again, this is the top of the line ref speaker...it should sound wonderful. And a lot of dialog, and action goes through your center. Thats why perhaps your cemter channel is your most impotant buy in HT along a close second your sub, speaker wise.

We could argue it does or not match the corns across the front from a timbre match. (OK, it doesn't.) However..I think this is more of a problem if it is WORSE than the front speakers rather than perhaps the same (which is always preferred) or better. Not everyone has the space for a older vertical on its side Cornwall II.

Now better? Well it is the newer technology for sure. It has incredible dynamics, and probably the bottom line is try it and hear for yourself. Do not get too overwhelemed if someone in here sais it is not a good fit..afterall it is what you think that is important! All we can add in here is critisisms..I mean helpfull suggestions.

My 2 cents.

well said, Indy. I do indeed have RC7 as center between two Cornwalls and LOVE the sound. There may be a slight Timbre mismatch, but my ears are blown anyway. What I looked at more than anything was an efficiency match to the Corns. Most HT amps will let you turn DOWN the center relative to the mains, but you cannot adjust the mains lower than the center channel. (at least thats the way it is on my Yammie 850). I use the RC7 at about 92-96% depending on the source material. BTW, has anyone listened to NFL with the center (with announcers) turned WAY DOWN to about 75%, then jack the main volume WAY UP! The crowd noise is tremendous, just like being there. But I digress.

I think you'd be very happy with this combination. When listening to Movies, you very rarely directly COMPARE the sound between the mains and center. Yes, some sound effects move across the soundstage, but that happens so rapidly that only massive timbre match would be bothersome. In critical music listening ( okay, unless your SACD or ??) , the RC7 isn't working at all, so again the mismatch doesn't bother. I've honestly never directly hooked them up to compare, maybe I'll do that in the new house just to prove to myself that it's a fine combination.

RC7's and Corns ROCK!

I was considering a RC-7 for a center with my front Khorns, but was told by forum that the RC-7 would disappoint and not timbre match. I have since been considering a Heresy on its side, but also feel I wouldn't like the "look" of it on top my 65" Pioneer Elite HDTV. I have 40-42" width to work with on top my RPTV and so I was thinking about horizontalizing a Heresy, or Cornwall and incorporating them into a newly fabricated enclosure. ?? proper dimensions. Does anyone out there know what the proper enclosure dimensions would be for a 12" Heresy woofer/mid tweeter horn/12" Heresy woofer horizontal center arrangement?

I thought of taking the Heresy, or Cornwall Mid and Tweeter horns and placing them over top each other horizontally in the new fabricated enclosure and use the original crossover. Then put the 12" heresy woofer to the Left of the mid/high horns, and add another 12" heresy woofer (does Klipsch supply these as parts?) on the Right. So, woofer, mid/hi, woofer a la Academy arrangement, but create a three-way system with better oompf to try to equal the Khorns. What do you think?

Are the mid and tweeter horns in the Cornwalls bigger or better than in the Heresy? The specs at Klipsch indicate they have the same compression drivers, but I don't know about the exponential horns mounted to the drivers.

I see you have a Pioneer DV-563A. I just bought one, but haven't hooked it up yet. Does it rock? How do SACD and DVD-A disks sound over the RC-7 with Cornwall fronts? Is timbre good for music in surround sound?

Speaker cabinet building is an art as much as a science. Certain laws generate certain results. Changing this for the woofers in a different enclosure without the proper program to test the results... might yield really bad resuts. Not to mention a waste of your time and efforts and cash.

A few have tried I am sure to do what you have said too. Maybe a few will chime in here. The Heresy is a good center... especially to Cornwalls... As Colterphoto1 and I both agree, the key is to get a center as good as or perhaps better than too. An academy is not a good fit... so your back to a heresey, older vertical on it's side Cornwall II, a La Scala, or belle. Or as Q man has done make an enclosure to house a K horn Center too..LOL..

OR

Try as we have said a RC-7, and see for yourself if it does what you want too. I think you would be quite happy with it myself..especially when you consider you can keep it in the cabinet as is now...and get an incredible center. Most dealers if your really serious and you have a good relationship with them, will let you "Borrow one" for a night or two. Take it home and see and hear for yourself.

Well,

I went ahead and won the ebay bid for them today so will find out soon enough. With the YPAO function of my Yammy RX-V1400 I should be able to get them to blend with the Cornwalls for video. If not, hmmm...maybe a pair of RF-7s are next....

Thanks to all who responded!

Regards,

Dave

• 8 months later...

WOuld be interested in how this turned out for you. I just bought the Yammie 2400 myself and let YPAO to the adjustments. I'm still very happy with my setup although going to experiement with a KLF-C7 soon (it's coming as pair of a set with 4x RB5's- total price $800- not bad). Perhaps the KLF will be better match to Corns, then I'll have a RB5/RC7 setup for the basement!

Michael

i had the suggested setup for ahwile, and yes it does work, just not well or up to par with thier respective series. by this i mean the 7 is excellent as a center in an reference setup, but corns are not reference they are heritage and voiced very differently, the 7 can be set up to match spl's but not voice, it can match volume but not timbre. i tried and tried but it always jumped back and forth when crossing across the front, if you want seamless you will look for a matching series center, i have watched this debate go on and on, and the people who have used the 7 as center raved about how good it sounded, until they had a chance to match, once they did they were converted, because the difference is very noticable, not only were the converted they jumped on the no mixing bandwagon