Yammie/Klipsch incompatibilites?

endover

not to mention the other complaint was that there was no subwoofer imput for the external dd decoder. so not only does it have weak rears there is no dedicated sub woofer channel. so my reciever is technically a 5 not a 5.1. the sub is derived from the main channels.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Griffinator,

I have a question for you where did you find info on the RX-V3400 (I am assuming that is the "3400" you were referring to). I just got off the Yamaha web site and nothing was there still had the RX-V3300. I have an RX-V3300 and was just curious where you found this. Its not critical info for me just a curiosity as my RX-V3300 is still new, at least to me. Anyway just wanted to know where you found it? Thanks

Jim

----------------

On 3/21/2004 1:42:30 PM J.4knee wrote:

Griffinator,

I have a question for you where did you find info on the RX-V3400 (I am assuming that is the "3400" you were referring to). I just got off the Yamaha web site and nothing was there still had the RX-V3300. I have an RX-V3300 and was just curious where you found this. It’s not critical info for me just a curiosity as my RX-V3300 is still new, at least to me. Anyway just wanted to know where you found it? Thanks

Jim

----------------

That's a good question, actually. I think it fell out of somewhere in the back of my head, because there is no listing for a "3400" on Yammy's website...

The link posted above is to Yammy's "past model" page, where I drew info about the 2090.

----------------

On 3/20/2004 10:14:01 PM Griffinator wrote:

Yammy just started making 7-channel amps.

----------------

Don't know why they just recently would make a 7 channel when back in '96 Yamaha was making 8 channel receivers...

DM

I don't know about Yamaha's "8 channel" units that were around in 96 but my RX-V3300 is billed as an 8 channel receiver and I dont think its really a true representation. The "front effect channels" are tapped off of the front left and right channels. There are only 6 discrete channels you can use the and the other two outputs are used as either Front effect or Zone 2 at 25 WPC. Its not a true 8 channel receiver. You can play 8 channel stereo if you use the front effects but again the front effects are, as I understand it, just splits off of the front main L/R. I like the receiver very much but its only a true 6.1 rig.

Well, I am not sure about the exact model, but I know back then I had a buddy who had one, and he thought that the "extra" zone front pair was totally cool - he regarded it as an 8 channel - he even wired his living room to use it. I think that it's over-kill.

The point I was making was that Yamaha has been in the multi-channel business for a few years now, and they are regarded by some (like my friend) as HT trend-setters.

DM

I'm currently using the RX V1400 Yamaha with Corns and heresy's and they are not harsh. The receiver has infinite adjustments for tone control and even balances the speaker system automatically if you choose. Hooked up to these speakers it will definitely chase the cat out of the house. I picked mine up on Ebay for less than $550 after lightening zapped my JVC 9010vbk (thank you Lord). Do a search on the net (google) for the gear your looking at and read the reviews of people who purchased the equipment. Also look at the features as well. Your going to be using this as a hub for other equipment tv, dvd, etc. make sure your happy with the functionality. The yamaha remote is not the most user friendly device and it doesn't have back lighting. But the unit has plenty of input/output devices for all your toys. I'm happy with mine, but to each his own. good luck10.gif

The front effect channels arn't over kill. Once you listen to them set up right you will never be able to live with out them. These two channels broaden the soundstage and give you more of the feeling of live music. I use a pair of LaScalas for my front effect speakers. They are placed above, behind, and to the left and right of the Klipschorn mains.

----------------

On 3/24/2004 6:03:01 PM D-MAN wrote:

----------------

On 3/20/2004 10:14:01 PM Griffinator wrote:

Yammy just started making 7-channel amps.

----------------

Don't know why they just recently would make a 7 channel when back in '96 Yamaha was making 8 channel receivers...

DM

----------------

See above. I'm talking about a traditionally recognized 7.1 configuration, with Main L/C/R + L/R Surround + L/R Surround back.

The 1400/2400 are the first such amplifiers in Yamaha's lineup. They've never done a config like that before.

It always makes me feel good when I see someone has as the same front effect speakers as I use for my mains. Talk about system envy Q-MAN U DA MAN!!! I imagine that does sound pretty spectacular with the La Sclala's as Front Effects, do you invert yours? I've seen some of your pics and your custom room and speaker work ... awesome. Actually I have plans, and I use that word loosely in the vaguest meaning, to attempt a conceptually similar task. Of course I am KHornless and for at least the short term it will be with my La Scala's as my mains and then will probably fill in with Heresy's to set up a pseudo 8.1.

Yep, Q-man is generally right on about things.

Still, let me clarify my opinion, in that I found that with good speakers on the front mains that are capable of producing viable "depth" information, the other front "zone" speakers seem unnecessary to me...

That doesn't mean that I am the last word on things, of course.

DM2.gif

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

----------------

On 3/21/2004 1:56:32 AM Griffinator wrote:

Good lord, man. That's not a true 7.1 anyhow! No wonder the Denon replacement sounded so much better - crikey, you're talking about a 3.1 system with auxilliary front and rear channels - the 3 true "front" channels are 100 watts apiece, while the rears and the "front effects" channels are 35 watts apiece.

----------------

The speed of technology or marketing? Two or three years ago I bought a Yamaha RXV 1300 (6.1 x 100w) to build my home theater around. At the time is was just out, cost about $1,000, and was "state of the art." Reading through this forum and looking at Yamaha website made me realize that it has been passed up at least 5 times, is now about half the price. It feels like it is almost obsolete. I think the manufacturers have ten years of future "state of the art" technology locked in a vault somewhere and just release it a bit at a time when sales start to dwindle on the last years "state of the art" system.

I got a Yamaha RX-V640 wich is rated at Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 2020,000 Hz, 0.06% THD, FTC), Main Channels 85 W + 85 W, and I'm using a pair of Klipsch Heresies '82, with a KSW12 powered subwoofer and I really like how this sound.

I can't afford a better/more expensive amplifier, at least not right no. It's also almost impossible to get a pair or LaScalas, Klipschorn or something like those here in Argentina, so I think I'd stay with this configuration for a while.

The only thing I would comment its about the highs... this tweeters has too much bright, wich could very nice with some kinds of music, but not with others.

Cya!

DiEGO

----------------

On 4/24/2004 11:38:20 PM DiEGO10 wrote:

I got a Yamaha RX-V640 wich is rated at
Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 2020,000 Hz, 0.06% THD, FTC), Main Channels 85 W + 85 W
, and I'm using a pair of Klipsch Heresies '82, with a KSW12 powered subwoofer and I really like how this sound.

I can't afford a better/more expensive amplifier, at least not right no. It's also almost impossible to get a pair or LaScalas, Klipschorn or something like those here in Argentina, so I think I'd stay with this configuration for a while.

The only thing I would comment its about the highs... this tweeters has too much bright, wich could very nice with some kinds of music, but not with others.

Cya!

DiEGO

----------------

Your excessive highs would definitely be because of your Yamaha. You really need to hear Klipsch with tubes. It's amazing.

I had a cat named Griffin

I had a fish named Slater

Now poor Slater's gone...

Griffinator!

Ah, yes, what's in a name? Would arroz by any other name be Shakespeare's treat? So far, my favorite SS amps are big Yammy and Denon models. I prefer the Yammy on the 8 Legend Home Theater because of the quality enhancement on movies that front effects channels (when properly set up) can make with an all monopole 6.1 rig. I use the Denon in an all Heritage system that is primarily used for music. I just haven't found the "tube rolling time" to revisit my totally tubular days of yesteryear.

My Yammy is the same as Avman and (my hero) Q-man enjoy. I think the finest comment I have received on the Legend Home Theater came from a couple of Renaissance friends who live on the road most of the year. They are BIG Eagles fans and so I invited them to listen to their superb "Hell Freezes Over" DVD. At the end of the close harmony "Seven Bridges Road" (in dts only!), I asked them what they thought of my sound system. Their somewhat unimpressed reply was, "Gee, we don't know Ed, I guess it's okay... it's just like being at the concert... is that the way it's supposed to sound?"

Well, Forum friends, some of my best friends may be audiophiles... but a few are just "honest ear" folks... whose idea of music is being there when it happens. The sound that allows me to surreally "be there when it happens" has brought me to Klipsch... and this Forum. Of course, being there at a concert does not usually mean acoustic. Saturday night at my place we had a concert by a couple of friends, pianist/composer/humanitarian Spencer Brewer and multi-Grammy winning jazz saxophonist Paul McCandless. Together they have put out over thirty records even though they usually perform independently. Listening to a freshly tuned grand piano and a virtuoso multi-sax performance without amplification is an ear-joy that all audiophiles should have as a reference point, IMHO.

But most entertainers at my place prefer to be amplified particularly on the outdoor stage. The reference on this thread to wattage reminds me of the differences between my home theater and two (or more) channel gear. Indoors we use a pro 3400 watt QSC amp feeding just two EAW pro speakers and the four pro OAP monitors that let the musicians know how they sound) are fed by a separate pro 1400 watt QSC amp. And, yes, there is a multi-channel sound board and a gaggle of EQs, voice shaping and special effects tools that one would expect in a pro set up. The point of all this is not how much Ive put into sound, but rather how manipulated the being there sound is when you are there!

I appreciate the candor of the Griffinator (what ever his diet)... even to the point of 'fessing up to a fishy factoid (thats what unleashed the doggerel) from the dark resources of his off-the-top of his Yamaha head set. I appreciate that the Griffinator is not only responding to the more knowledgeable posts but its great to see him (and others) providing basic info that particularly benefits newbies and lurkers many who will become fascinated try thinks reflected here as opinion grow in knowledge by the experience and keep the Klipsch fires burning in two-channel cozy cuddlers and/or multi-channel movie mavens.

I know it sometimes gets redundant for all you old Klipsch Forum Pros but going over the basics in many of my posts is what averts a flood of email from those who havent read my previous posts. This thread, for example, has references to configurations other than the multi-faceted two-channel (i.e., PWKs favorite three-channel stereo and two-channel augmented by a whomping sub come to mind) and the 5.1 recording standard. Plus, of course, I should include my favorite, the legitimate but somewhat rare 6.1 recording format that was introduced with Gladiator DVD movie epic. Gladiator hmm, that almost inspires another piece of HornEd doggerel.

IMHO, the number of discrete full range channels (the 5 in 5.1) and the narrow range low bass channel (the 1 in 5.1) available should be the standard not the number of speakers hooked up to ones rig. For example, my 6.1 Legend Theater has six identical monopoles for the 6 in 6 (fed by a high end 6.1 receiver) and two adequate subwoofers (fed by a separate megawatt pro amps) plus two front effects speakers to better shape the sound stage (Yammy fed too). After a demo, some folks call this system an 8.2 system based on the number of speaker cabinets.

I prefer calling it a 6.1 system because 6.1 is the maximum number of channels that can be input from source material (e.g., a 6.1 DVD because there are no 7.1 DVDs in the commercial market to my knowledge). Granted my receiver manufactures a sixth channel when playing 5.1 source material and that signal is discrete. However, 7.1 is a bad name because there are only six discrete channels with the rear center channel being sent to both rear center effects speakers. Similarly, the front effects channels are derived from the discrete source channels and not a standard feature of most amp brands. And, surely, just because there are two subwoofers in a custom bass corner (which creates the effect of four free-standing subs) doesnt change the fact that they are fed from one low bass channel.

7.1 is a shameless marketing ploy that makes the least important discrete channel, the rear center channel, the focal point of the system meanwhile, the most important discrete channel for multi-channel movies, the front center, if filled by a speaker of diminished capacity when compared to the left and right mains. At least Klipsch did a better than average job on the RC-7 (though clearly not the equal of RF-7 elegance) and provides identical left, center, right MAINS on the new THX (shhhudder! 8.gif ) speaker system with genuine di-pole (dddouble spprraay shhhudder!! 14.gif ). Sorry, folks, I can abide some tomfoolery but earfoolery leaves me cold and THX is the gefilte fish approach to lox on my bagel! Lest I offend, let me hasten to add that the ersatz example did not imply a particular religion which is not my heritage but has my respect.

For what its worth, on May 2nd my Swiss Miss fiancé will be strolling down the outdoor garden aisle to the tune of five live woodwind ensemble multi-megawatt amplified through four pro speakers to hundreds of spectators no doubt lured by the gourmet victuals, premium wines, upscale dance band and the promise of a red hot movie on my 8.2 2.gif Klipsch Legend Theater. -HornEd

PS: Gracias Diego... your Klipsch standards are fine... and there are many on this Forum who envy what you have put together in Argentina... and rightly so. "Butt" be informed that "CYA" can mean more than "see ya" in some quarters of the U.S.A. 6.gif