Parasound CI or C2 Conttoller

Q-Man

Does anyone use the Parasound Halo C1 or C2 Controller?

I run 10 channels in my home theater set up and I finally have them all powered by McIntosh amps. I ordered my last amp today. I'm now using a Yamaha RX-V3000 as a processor because of it's front effect channels and fine DSP's. The Parasound C1 & C2 has two Aux channels ( channel 9 & 10). You can program these two channels to play what you want. You can mix content from any or all of the other eight channels into these, mixed in any proportion. You can also add delay, bass management from 40 to 120 hz. to the sub and volume level adjustments for these two channels. This is the only A/V processor that I've found that can now give me the front effect channels like the Yamaha has, even more so.

I was ready to buy one untill my McIntosh dealer told me that I won't like the harsh and bright sound of the midrange and highs that Parasound is known for. Has anyone ever heard a statement like this about Parasound?

Q,

I don't think you're Mac dealer is being totally straight with you, or he is seriously misinformed about Parasound. I run an older Parasound pre/pro and it's definitely not bright - the mids and highs are smooth and laid back, if anything. I too am considering the C2, and after auditioning it, I came away impressed that they had managed to maintain its 2-channel neutrality while supporting a host of advanced HT functions. It's on my list of upgrades. A number of other folks are running the C2 on this forum and have reported nothing but positive results.

Colin

I have the C2, which is identical to the C1 but without the screen. I am also using the HALO amps, one 5 channel and one 2 channel. In my opinion, this is the finest setup I have owned with my Heritage HT. I am using Belles for mains and a La Scala for center. I do not find any portion to be harsh at all.

This is a superb pre/pro. I know a couple of other guys on the forum own this setup with Heritage speakers and have never heard anyone complain about the sound quality.

I would guess that a lot has to do with what units are amplifying the signals.

I would take that comment with a grain of salt.

JMO

----------------

On 3/18/2004 5:37:58 PM Q-Man wrote:

I was ready to buy one untill my McIntosh dealer told me that I won't like the harsh and bright sound of the midrange and highs that Parasound is known for. Has anyone ever heard a statement like this about Parasound?

----------------

I guess your Mcintosh dealer told you something about Parasound but not their's HALO series. I've heard some people said their HCA-1205A were little bright with Klipsch speakers but not the HALO. Still it's the amp part but not the pre/pro 9.gif

Thanks for your opinions and the information.

Are any of you using the Aux. channels #9&10?

Most of the dealers that I have been talking to want to point me in another direction for one reason or another. When I try to explain my system and desires to them they also seem to think that I'm nuts. I wonder where they get that idea from?

The McIntosh dealer is pushing the Sunfire Theater Grand 4. I'm tempted, but it's extra channels arn't as flexible as the Parasounds. I talked to another Sunfire dealer and he suggest or prefers the Anthem pre/pro. This goes on and on. One Parasound dealer also carries Lexicon, but prefers Parasound and he may let me try one for a few days. I have time to make up my mind yet, because after buying two more McIntosh power amps I don't have the cash to run right out and by a pre/pro. 8.gif

Steelie,

I'm sorry to say that Audio Classics last MC202 is on it's way to me. I asked them for you if they expect to get in anymore. They told me that they don't show any coming in, but that they take in trades everyday. He said that he would give you a good deal on a 252. You can also put your name at the top of the list for the next 202 that they get. If you are interested, email me and I'll give you the name and number of who to call and talk to.

Q-man. If you live in the DFW area, you are welcome to come take a listen to my C2 and Heritage HT. I know some of the other contenders are very good and about the same price range. I do know that Parasound has a 10 year warranty and OUTSTANDING service and support. If you are looking for good pricing PM me and I put you in contact with a good dealer. The Parasound site has links to several HALO product reciews in the last year. Take a look at what other are saying about the product.

Good luck.

----------------

On 3/19/2004 11:59:57 AM Q-Man wrote:

Most of the dealers that I have been talking to want to point me in another direction for one reason or another. When I try to explain my system and desires to them they also seem to think that I'm nuts. I wonder where they get that idea from?

The McIntosh dealer is pushing the Sunfire Theater Grand 4. I'm tempted, but it's extra channels arn't as flexible as the Parasounds. I talked to another Sunfire dealer and he suggest or prefers the Anthem pre/pro. This goes on and on. One Parasound dealer also carries Lexicon, but prefers Parasound and he may let me try one for a few days. I have time to make up my mind yet, because after buying two more McIntosh power amps I don't have the cash to run right out and by a pre/pro.
8.gif

----------------

Interesting. From what I've heard both from people and my own ears, the Sunfire Grand, while a fine unit indeed, is extremely warm to the point of muddy. That is, in comparison to other units as Parasound or Lexicon. The Anthem units always seem to received plenty of praise whenever they are brought up, so I would doubt you'd go wrong there either. Again, you have to listen.

It's very odd that many dealers would be pushing you away from Parasound, and though I would normally say it's because they're trying to sell you Macintosh or whatnot instead, that hasn't been the case in my experience here in LA; where I would assume people to be shadier than most other states.

I knew nothing about seperates before I bought mine. I was still stuck in the world of receivers and thought those were the end-all, be-all heart of the home theater. However, I spoke with ALL the biggest dealers and high-end stores around town, and they ALL pointed me towards Parasound, despite also being dealers for Mark Levinson, Classe, Krell, Lexicon, and McIntosh to name a few. The big boss of one company even told me "if you were asking about anything else I would've referred you to one of my people, but you're asking about Parasound..."

If it's any consolation, he told me that Fabio, who owned a ridiculously nice Krell setup he uses to show off to his friends, entertain the honeyz, and showed to Tom Green on his show one time, switched all his componenets to Parasound once he gave it a listen. Dunno how seriously we take a guy who can't believe something ain't butter though.

Regarding the auxillary channels, you should ask the blokes on Club Parasound at "htguide.com." They are more than knowledgable with every nook and cranny of the C1 and C2.

Thanks for the offer to listen to yours, but I'm in Florida.

I've been reading the reviews on the C1 & C2, and they do make the controller sound very good. I felt like I should run right out and buy one. I went to the htguide web site and found the Parasound forum as you suggested. I'm now saying to myself, that there is no way that I want one of these. There are so many post about people having problems with the controller locking up. It sounds like a computer freezing up, and that scares me. I'm not very computer literate and that's all I need. Others are having problems with down loading updates and causing chip failure. Darn, I've been waiting a couple of years now for some of these features and the thing is supposed have excellent sound.

I signed up as a member on the htguide site, but I havn't received my pass word yet. When I receive it I'll start asking the Parasound guys some questions.

Q-man, don't let that deter you. It's only because on such forums, nobody is going to talk about how much they love their controller's over the next guy. The only point is to share thoughts about different features, or discuss problems that are arising. So naturally, it will seem like 90% of all threads pertain to problems. It's no different with the Anthem or Rotel or Lexicon etc. clubs on that same site. Or even computer forums where people are discussing the Mac G5's, Alienware Aurora's, etc. It's a given that it's a good product. Problems are the only thing people need to post for, in order to get help.

FWIW, I've had mine for about a year and have not had any problems since I got the current unit. My original unit did have a minor problem and Parasound exchanged it for a brand new one, paid for shipping both ways! I don't think many other companies do that sort of thing. I would guess that any processor chip based unit can be susceptible to such problems. I do know that Parasound stands behind the gear and you can't beat the ten year warranty. Whatever unit you get I'm sure you will enjoy it.

It looks like I will wait another year or two. The C2 doesn't have a bass management system to my liking. I have an outlaw ICBM bass manager between the RX-V3000 and the amps. The ICBM lets me set the crossover for six of my speakers at 40Hz and 60Hz for the other four speakers.

Maybe someday a processor will give me everything I want.