Will La Scala's match with a RC-7 for the front three?

kenratboy

i have run an rc 7 with both cornwalls, and cornerhorns, and it just aint right, although the 7 sounds great all by itself it just does not match, it is very noticable, the trabsitional sounds jump in and out, once i bought an lascalla for my center, everything fell into place, all sounds match as if they had the same point of origin, same time delay, everything. an heresy would give the same effect, you just cant match the heritage sound.12.gif

I can not answer your question exactly but I can tell you that last night, I listened to my two cornerhorns, a Belle and two Cornwalls in DTS for the first time, all driven with a Yamaha. My son and I watched "Saving Private Ryan" first time and the effects were much better than any theater I have ever been in. We were ducking from the bullets bouncing off tanks and rocks as if we were there. Completely seamless all the way around. Settle for the RF7 if you must but make it your goal to end up with all heritage. I am in awe and truly blest.

I have a mixed Reference/Heritage set up. While the sound is not unpleasant its not what I would prefer. I did it mainly to stay within my initial budget. First I use a RC 3 II, it cannot keep up with the La Scala's. I have to boost its signal almost 6.5 db to make them close and when I turn it up the La Scala's just simply take over. An RC 7 might stay closer but the timbre mismatch will be noticeable. If you can get a third La Scala you would be much happier. I know some of the forum members have split the bass bin and the squawker/tweeter box to put one above the set and the bass bin below it. That way you won't have your TV mounted up near your ceiling. That is my goal when I get the cash. Another option is the aforementioned Heresy. But I believe you will be happier staying in the Heritage family for your entire set up. As I said before my set up does not sound bad but its not what I want in the long run.

• 2 months later...

Don't ever do it!!!

(you may want to see my latest post on "oh La Scala...")

I tried (albeit with RC-3s) - wasn't life threatening, but with a Heresy in the center now - nirvana.

This has to be the closest to how God intended sound to be reproduced.

Sometimes we have to do what we have to do. If you have or can buy everything all at once then find a way to fit in a LaScala center. If not then upgrade as you move on like alot of us. I started with a C-7 in the center, then went to a LaScala after about 6 months to a year. I used the LaScala for quite a while before going to the University Classic for a better bass horn to match the Klipschorn mains. I finally figured out a way to use a Klipschorn for my center. Now I think I'm happy, but who knows?

Use the RC-7 if you like. How fussy are you? Is this going to be the last thing that you ever do? Or are you going to change things down the road?

Everytime I think that I'm done, and that my system can't get any better then it is I get some other lame brain idea.

I dunno, I'm pretty happy with my Cornwall/RC7 setup, but then, like OZZY, I've been subjected to 35 billion decibels for 30 years. LOL I like the sound quality of the Cornwalls for stereo listening, but also appreciate the hi-tech approach the RC7 brings to Home theatre listening. Isn't there room for both without having duplicate systems in my main listening/viewing room?

I'm an ex-sound engineer and appreciate the arguement for 'timbre matching' which can only be derived by speakers of similar driver design, etc. but can some of the more seasoned listeners please explain more fully why my system is such a no-no?

Thanks gang,

Michael

I was actually running a radio shack center. I started upgradeing to klipsch and finally ended up with a center lascala. The most obvious thing is you need a good center. Your system is only as good as your center speaker. I used every center klipsck makes and none sounded as good as the Khorns run in phantom. I wasnt happy until I got a center lascala.