hybrid tube/solidstate for use with horns?

KungFuNat

I agree that Blind A/B testing is the only reliable method of forming a reasonable opinion. Proving out the "choice" usually takes more time, which would bring the following into play...

Interestingly, it seems that the mysterious is preferred over the known.

An analogy is the "grass is always greener", "the wanting is better than the having", and the always final "familiarity breeds contempt".

DM1.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Owned two differant tube/ss hybrids, Jolida and Unison Research Unico, 100 and 80 WPC. Jolida build was average at best, sounded no differant than my Denon seperates. Unisons build and looks were excellent, top notch sounded swell--until my tube CayinTA-30 integrated arrived. Absolutely kicked the crap out of the Unison which was three times the money, Italian you know. Check out the Cayin, it is built like a brick **** house, excellent fit and finish, all point-to-point hand wired, can use a variety of output tubes, self-biasing; the sound from my Forte 1 is so satisfying. Go all tube, don't stop with a hybrid.

----------------

On 3/25/2004 5:35:22 PM fini wrote:

"warm," "impact," "pinched," "solid."

I don't know if we're talking about the morning listening session, or the morning "constitution." I will make amends...

----------------

"Honey, what the hell are you doing in there?!"

7.gif7.gif7.gif7.gif

"Sorry, honey, it's really pinched this morning, but with a lot of impact"

(LARGE SPLASHING SOUND)

3.gif

"Man, that was just so warm and solid..."

14.gif

• 1 month later...

Hello Posters:

Having a frat brother who is in the audio franchise arena he has allowed me to try out all brands of tube and SS amps and pre's.

I loved the Audio Research...earlier Macs...Conrad Johnson, etc.

He brought a little SS amp to my attention to use for my computer speakers.

Its an Audiosource 2 with cool vu meters and retails for $249.

I was between new power to try so I hooked it up to my La Scalas and later to my Heresy 2s.

Since I will be moving soon most of my audio gear is packed. So I use a Creek passive pre and a Velodyne ULD 15/2 sub.

The sound is clean...airy and very tube like sounding. My Audio Research gear is crated. I may just post my AP gear on Audiogon and keep this little amp.

I A/B it against the Monarchy SM-70 Pros and the little Audiosource was right there in the mix.

Spend thousands if you wish, I like the little AS. If you want to see tubes glowing in the dark built an array and fire it up. LOL!

Being a theatre pipe organist...trombone player and once in a while bari-sax player take it from me I know the best taste in sound and look into the Audiosource 2. I have no monetary connections with them so take it from a 37 year Broadcast Journalist and a grad of voice...instrumental music and an associate in audio performance the little AS is a small price to pay for a champ. All outlets allow you a 30-45 day trial.

Best,

Craig Johnson

Lock Haven, Pa.

Former member of the M.I.T. Audiophile Society, Cambridge, Mass.

Hello Posters:

I have all my M.I.T. audiophile notes crated for my upcoming move so I would need to review them to see if I knew your friend.

One extremely important item I left out in my previous posting.

Room treatment is extremely valuable in getting the right sound to your ears.

Armstrong Cork makes a sound tile in a variety of colors that does wonders for the sound.

Background: Whether it be a church auditorium...performing arts center...movie palace, when the room is empty the sound is alive and in some cases edgy much like horns of the Klipsch loudspeaker.

With the room full of souls it is a mellow event. Souls capture sound bites like sound tiles. The more used the sweeter the experience.

In my last sound studio I had the entire wall behind the equipment...speakers treated by their 4x8 sheets. The side walls were treated as well and the wall behind my sweet spot was also treated. The ceiling was treated and painted with reflective gel.

The floor was tile and if the sound was still too edgy I had a 28x28 foot oriental rug that just made the listening experience all the better.

I used this room to produce my Jazz shows on CD then FED EX to whatever broadcast group that used my expertise. I never had a complaint of outside noise.

In my new home I will have a 32'x32' sound studio with 16' ceilings.

The fine folks at Armstrong or at your local home center will be of great help. If not, email me and I will put you in touch with my Armstrong Cork source.

Happy Listening!

Best,

Craig Johnson

Lock Haven, Pa.

Broadcast Standard Equipment. Too numerous to mention!