Academy for $160!!!!

rckpls

----------------

On 3/23/2004 10:53:56 PM heretic wrote:

Wow -- that auction lasted 25 seconds! Hope it comes true for the buyer -- remember what happened to our Freak on a Leash?

----------------

Are you talking about the guy that "won" an Academy for $250 a while back? Did that deal fall through?

----------------

On 3/25/2004 6:03:10 PM mandi wrote:

This one looks pretty fishy as well, they say they Think they are posting the correct information. and come on,,,,,,,someone that sells on EBAY that much does not put it under KLIPSCH?

----------------

Are you saying the deal for $160 is falling through? Were you the "winning bidder"?

Looks like it was originally listed the day before. In the ad, you'll see where the seller says:

"NOW IF ANYBODY OUT THERE NEEDS THIS ITEM RIGHT AWAY, DON'T HESITATE TO CONTACT ME WITH AN OFFER. IF WE CAN AGREE ON A PRICE, I WILL END THIS AUCTION & START A NEW ONE WITH A ' BUY IT NOW ' AT OUR AGREED UPON PRICE"

This is what happened. Gotta love the internet!

Yeah, but the "agreed upon price" may well have been much more. I am sure the buyer and seller knew what kind of fees would be due to eBay from the seller. The seller likely did his DD and therefore made the conditional offer which, I think, is a violation of eBay rules. It would have been better to have cancelled the auction altogether to avoid suspicion. It did NOT sell for $160, I am sure.

The Academy was designed by Klipsch to timbre match the Heritage line, but to fit easily on a TV. Otherwise, you need to do a HornEd job to convert an existing speaker for horzontal use. The Academy is quite rare and has been known to go for over $500 in recent auctions.

Bill

----------------

On 3/27/2004 7:28:57 PM mandi wrote:

I would love to hear the difference between the KLF-C7 that I have vs. the Academy to see if it would be worth the couple dollars difference that I would probably wind up paying if I did a switch.

----------------

I have a KLF-C7, and bought an Academy off Ebay a couple of years ago. Neither are a perfect match for my Chorus and/or Fortes, but I liked the KLF-C7 better and decided to sell the Academy from $250. Many will disagree, but I thought you should hear from at least one person that's not crazy about the Academy.

Mandi-

A few years ago I took my Academy down to a fellow forum member's place as a way to audition it with his set of Chorus IIs. He had a KLF-C7, and after hooking up the Academy, he was sold. Just a few months later, he located an Academy and sent the C7 packing. Chickey, feel free to add your thoughts here. 1.gif

JHawk - Exactly right. The KLF-C7 was just too "shouty" when paired with my Chorus II's. You always knew there was a separate center at work. With the Academy, there's simply a seamless front sound stage, with no hint of transition between the mains and the center.

Hope this helps,

C