AM/FM and Radio vs. CD

m00n

I know I've asked this before but it's been so long I forgot the answer.

1) Why does AM and FM sound so different?

2) Why does a perfectly tuned in radio station sound better than CD? (well in my opinion it does anyway)

FM radio really monkeys around with the source signal. They add lots of EQ before they broadcast. Ever wonder why male DJ voices sound so deep and "manly"? I find my CDs, in general, sound better than the radio while playing in my car.

FM permits the reception of stereo, which in itself is going to sound better than AM. There are other reasons, I'm sure, but I can't give them to you.

AM (amplitude modulation) is restricted in audio bandwidth to 5-8khz to keep their sidebands from "splattering" into the adjacent channel. Each channel allocation is spaced 10khz from the adjacent one. AM reception is more prone to local electrical noise and nature created (static crashes) etc. than FM. FM (frequency modulation) is broadcast in a portion of the radio spectrum less prone to static and manmade noise, VHF or very high frequency(88-108mhz). As far as audio quality goes, many stations use huge amounts of compression to enhance their apparent "loudness" as you tune across the station, additionally they use peak limiting to stay within their bandwidth allocation. What you prefer is based on personal taste in music reproduction and with digital broadcasting on the horizon (actually here now) I guess a new debate will arise concerning digital broadcasting vs. FM etc. FM audio bandwidth extends from 25hz to 15khz so thats something to think about when you consider that CD peaks out at 20Khz! I think FM is probably due to be gradually phased out over time but will be here for awhile yet. Try this--the next time you hear a familiar tune on FM that you have on CD, play the CD immediately after hearing your tune on FM and then tell me that the FM is better!! Well again, I guess its based on personal taste. BTW, TV audio is also FMed but the highest audio frequencies are only about 12khz or so!! Amazing what a little EQ at the broadcast end can do......

Really? FM radio sounds better?!? Must be the limited frequency response it has - 20Hz-15kHz at best, the incredible amount of dynamic range compression they use resulting in only 6-12dB of dynmaic range (the joke in the industry is if the signal level needles move the engineer gets fired!) or the previously mentioned EQ to give everything a little more bass and treble than it originally had. All of this seems to go against the "Audiophile Code" but whatever floats your boat. Maybe you're listening to the local PBS/NPR station in which case the compression and EQ may not be applied.

All that comp is necessary for one simple reason - to provide a strong signal and consistent volume throughout the playlist.

The record labels' push for "louder" CD's is actually giving the radio people fits because these ultraloud, no-dynamics CD's are ending up sounding "quieter" on the radio equipment, which they end up having to compensate for on-the-fly.

That's from a radio station manager I spoke with about the subject, BTW, before someone accuses me of not knowing anything... 14.gif

Hmmm...I think radio sounds like CRAP compared to CD. Only because when stuff is supposed to get loud, it actually sometimes gets quieter...It all goes back to the ENORMOUS amounts of compression they use at the stations.

The EQ settings might have something to do with the perceived "better" sound, although I still prefer a good ole' flat response (with maybe a little bump in the low end).

I know.... You all think I'm off my rocker, I like FM over CD, I like my tone controls cranked up high...

But yeah there is someting about FM when you get a good signal sounds great. Perhaps it's the eq.... I dunno. Maybe it's what Wheelie said, soundstange, I dunno, but FM seems more open more.... I dunno. Eh.

----------------

On 3/25/2004 3:59:34 AM cwm wrote:

AM (amplitude modulation) is restricted in audio bandwidth to 5-8khz to keep their sidebands from "splattering" into the adjacent channel. Each channel allocation is spaced 10khz from the adjacent one. AM reception is more prone to local electrical noise and nature created (static crashes) etc. than FM. FM (frequency modulation) is broadcast in a portion of the radio spectrum less prone to static and manmade noise, VHF or very high frequency(88-108mhz). As far as audio quality goes, many stations use huge amounts of compression to enhance their apparent "loudness" as you tune across the station, additionally they use peak limiting to stay within their bandwidth allocation. What you prefer is based on personal taste in music reproduction and with digital broadcasting on the horizon (actually here now) I guess a new debate will arise concerning digital broadcasting vs. FM etc. FM audio bandwidth extends from 25hz to 15khz so thats something to think about when you consider that CD peaks out at 20Khz! I think FM is probably due to be gradually phased out over time but will be here for awhile yet. Try this--the next time you hear a familiar tune on FM that you have on CD, play the CD immediately after hearing your tune on FM and then tell me that the FM is better!! Well again, I guess its based on personal taste. BTW, TV audio is also FMed but the highest audio frequencies are only about 12khz or so!! Amazing what a little EQ at the broadcast end can do......

----------------

I have compared tunes right after i heard them on radio alot of times. And yes i think the fm was much better not so bright warmer with miles more soundstage. And i know your right about the frequency response and i think that has a ton to do with it sounding so good. I have had sony amps that literally sounded phenominal with fm radio. PUt in a cd and it was the crappiest amplifier you ever heard.

My favorite FM station has bragged for years about sending a clean straight from the CD signal. No EQ,no filtering,no limiting, no nothing. Recently I noticed that thrir signal sounded GREAT! Familiar songs had more seperation and more depth. It sounded better than my CDs of the same songs. But this is decieving. On listening very closely, the music was breathing. This is to say that different parts of the song would come in artificially loud. So be careful when making judgments about FM because they are not intending to provide music,they are selling products and want the fullest,richest sound possible even if it is artificial.

----------------

On 3/25/2004 5:04:40 PM Lone Palm wrote:

My favorite FM station has bragged for years about sending a clean straight from the CD signal. No EQ,no filtering,no limiting, no nothing. Recently I noticed that thrir signal sounded GREAT! Familiar songs had more seperation and more depth. It sounded better than my CDs of the same songs. But this is decieving. On listening very closely, the music was breathing. This is to say that different parts of the song would come in artificially loud. So be careful when making judgments about FM because they are not intending to provide music,they are selling products and want the fullest,richest sound possible even if it is artificial.

----------------

Artificial or not i wish they would do this to cd's. I would be so happy.

----------------

On 3/25/2004 6:30:51 PM wheelman wrote:

----------------

*Rant*

Do it to your own CD's by cranking the bass and treble. I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore because I can't stand all the smilie faced EQ and compression that they add. If you want more air in your music just add 4dbs around 5khz. It's not real music anymore, but hey, it sells.

If you like it that way then do yourself a favor and buy Bose. Radio has no HF's, the bass is pumped up to make boomy fake bass just like Bose.

As Grif said, the music industry has caught on to what sells in radio. They have been adding the same crap to CD's over the last 10 years. Maximization and fake boomy bass. The radio stations have been doing it for years and now they are complaining that music is being created that way....lol

They will die a slow death just like the CD is because of adding all this fake noise.

*/Rant*

Just my $0.02.

----------------

On 3/25/2004 6:58:44 PM Strabo wrote:

----------------

On 3/25/2004 6:30:51 PM wheelman wrote:

----------------

*Rant*

Do it to your own CD's by cranking the bass and treble. I hardly ever listen to the radio anymore because I can't stand all the smilie faced EQ and compression that they add. If you want more air in your music just add 4dbs around 5khz. It's not real music anymore, but hey, it sells.

If you like it that way then do yourself a favor and buy Bose. Radio has no HF's, the bass is pumped up to make boomy fake bass just like Bose.

As Grif said, the music industry has caught on to what sells in radio. They have been adding the same crap to CD's over the last 10 years. Maximization and fake boomy bass. The radio stations have been doing it for years and now they are complaining that music is being created that way....lol

They will die a slow death just like the CD is because of adding all this fake noise.

*/Rant*

Just my $0.02.

----------------

Iv'e done it not even close. That is adjust the eq you can't get it like that. If you have thousands of dollars worth of sonic maximizers and eq's may be and a really really good cd player.