Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Lone Palm

Just listened to the "Will The Circle Be Unbroken Trilogy". It is comprised of three albums spanning 30 years. #1-1972; #2-1989; and #3-2003. It's a five disc CD box set with the sixth disc being a concert DVD. All Star cast and pristine recording. Only draw back is DVD is in full screen and not wide screen. A must for anyone who likes acoustical music

• 2 weeks later...

So, how do you think the three volumes measure up?

To me, it's hard to compare 2 with 1 and 3. It is really a different animal.

I was initially disapointed with three, but after a couple of listens, I started to get into it.

My 1-10 ratings are as follows:

volume I - 10

volume II - 9

volume III - 9

One 10 and Two 9's is a pretty good score. I think the recording quality is head and shoulders above most everything else. The DVD really struck me. In the special features they speak of various techniques they used. They keep it simple which usually leads to superior recordings. I beleive through my recording experience, the less you do to a signal, the less you have to fix. Most of these albums were done with the musicians sitting in a circle in the same room in the studio.