Decorator Corwall

richieb

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The decorator model was designed with no grill on the front so that the beauty of the wood finish could be enjoyed. Yes their are both vertical and horizontal placement of the horn versions of the decorator cornwall. The vertical version allows more placement options than the horizontal one i.e. it can be laid on its side. Whether their is an advantage to one of the other if there is one I think it would depend on your room, placement and listening preferences.

----------------

On 3/26/2004 11:46:04 AM edster00 wrote:

Here is one of Chris King's decorator Cornwalls-one of the nicest looking speakers I have ever seen!

----------------

Thanks for the compliment. BTW, Joshnich found a pair of 1977 "Decorator" Cornwalls with all the right stuff in them (Alnico, Type B crossover, etc.) that are in pretty bad cosmetic shape. We are partnering up to completely restore them and possibly sell them either here on the board or through eBay/Audiogon. Believe me, we're not in this for the dough. But the process of restoring mine was so enjoyable that we're going to do it again. We're thinking about finishing them in a sort of piano black. The construction of the project pair is exactly the same as my pair (stain grade motor board, NO mitre joints, etc).

Chris

Nice corns Chris! Did you just restain them, or did you completely reveneer them?

Here one of my decorator models, the other is in exactly the same condition. They are 1975 vintage, haven't had time to take the backs off. The guy I bought them from had a cheap set of radio shack foam grills on them and stained the sides and edges of motor board only.

I plan on re-veneering, but if they are any suggestions to save some time and money to refurbish without re-veneering, my ears are open. I would like to keep the unfinished edge look on them. They don't look the best, but they sure sound nice. I hope the picture works.

-PB

PBLeftCorn.JPG

post-8967-13819253632134_thumb.jpg

Hey Gary,

In order to realize the full ugliness, check out another angle. These are old basement pictures. They have since been cleaned up significantly and actually reside in my livingroom right now.

However, they need to go to the "veneer guy", no doubt.

One thing I can vouch for is that the "insides" are very nice still. Perfect performance. I do not worry about the looks that much knowing they are 31 years old, and can be restored fairly easily.

But I fully agree, they get the UGLY award. 6.gif

Nice LaScalas though, huh?10.gif

post-12535-13819253633884_thumb.jpg

Chris King..

I also have the flat faced early 1980 model Cornwalls... If you do as nice of a job again as you did in your pic... And would want to do one more set...(If possible and $$ looks good for your time too..) I would love for you to do mine. Never stained...would look incredible just like yours IMO!!!

They look like pierced Corns above without the 1/2 stain job.

Indy

I fell back in love with my 1976 CBR Cornwall's when I saw Chris's. Finishing these is my spring/summer project. Mine are flawless veneer to start with so the the challenge is obtaining a similar reddish, handrubbed look. They may eventually displace my Klipschorn's I like the look so much.

Cornwall7.jpg

Andy (HDBRbuilder) built my C-BR Cornwalls in '79, and he states that my raw birch are also the Decorator models, even though they do not have the flush motorboard, like all those posted on this thread. I wish they did, though...I think Chris's Decorators are the most beautiful Cornwalls I have ever seen! Simply stunning!

post-11084-13819253636574_thumb.jpg

So did the "Decorator" design change somewhere around 1979? Mine are like Chris and Pierce's with a flush , grill-less face. Jim's have a recessed grill more in line with the finsihed Cornwall. I defer to Andy's expertise but it does raise the question of what truly is a decorator Cornwall.

----------------

On 3/26/2004 2:30:59 PM mark1101 wrote:

Hey Gary,

In order to realize the full ugliness, check out another angle. These are old basement pictures. They have since been cleaned up significantly and actually reside in my livingroom right now.

However, they need to go to the "veneer guy", no doubt.

One thing I can vouch for is that the "insides" are very nice still. Perfect performance. I do not worry about the looks that much knowing they are 31 years old, and can be restored fairly easily.

But I fully agree, they get the UGLY award.
6.gif

Nice LaScalas though, huh?
10.gif

----------------

Mark,

LOL! They may be ugly but they're still corns! Pretty low WAF with those I'd imagine.2.gif Nice scalas BTW.

Gary,

It's "girlfriend acceptance Factor" for now. I haven't gone down yet! (But the ship is sinking fast).

The LaScalas will be banished to the basement as well. I'm sure of it (too big)

Just when you climb out of the basement, your back in it. Oh well. Maybe I can get a garage bay just to stay above ground (222 and heresys if I'm lucky).

Trust me, those corns will someday get the custom veneer job and probably still be basement material.

I'm done.

----------------

On 3/26/2004 8:22:40 PM Jon Anderson wrote:

So did the "Decorator" design change somewhere around 1979? Mine are like Chris and Pierce's with a flush , grill-less face. Jim's have a recessed grill more in line with the finsihed Cornwall. I defer to Andy's expertise but it does raise the question of what truly is a decorator Cornwall.

----------------

No. You can tell that they are decs because the jionts are not mitered the same way. You can see the edges of the plywood in them - with and without the flush m-board.

josh

----------------

On 3/26/2004 1:39:50 PM pierceb wrote:

Nice corns Chris! Did you just restain them, or did you completely reveneer them?

Here one of my decorator models, the other is in exactly the same condition. They are 1975 vintage, haven't had time to take the backs off. The guy I bought them from had a cheap set of radio shack foam grills on them and stained the sides and edges of motor board only.

I plan on re-veneering, but if they are any suggestions to save some time and money to refurbish without re-veneering, my ears are open. I would like to keep the unfinished edge look on them. They don't look the best, but they sure sound nice. I hope the picture works.

-PB

----------------

All I did was sand...and sand...and sand some more. Then I brought them to a local furniture refinisher (The Strip Joint - Redondo Beach, CA) that stained and sealed them.

You may not have to re-veneer them. If you did, you would lose the exposed edges of the wood and completely change the look. You could probably find a refinishing shop near you that could strip, restain and seal them for less than you might think.

Chris