My New 2 Channel Babies

There are some Epic and Legend models I feel Klipsch should've kept building, along with the Cornwall, natch. It's funny how they were built for only a couple of years and then discontinued, only now to become rare classics! Like the KLF-30, I feel the CF-4 should've remained in production...oh well.

Cleve, just a thought...have you ever considered putting your Klipsch up on spikes to prevent cabinet scoot? I noticed they're not on their original feet.

Vital....You don't here much about the Epic's because they were only made for two years. There's not too many out there. Klipsch loyalists thought the Epic's strayed too much from the classic Klipsch sound, coupled with the cost of the 2 inch tweeter brought production to an end from what I understand. They sound wonderful with really impressive imaging.

----------------

On 3/28/2004 9:48:34 PM Bill H. wrote:

Cleve,

I know you can't get it now, but on Audiogon are a pair of CF4's..........

----------------

Thanks, Bill. The only problem with those - they're black, and my CF-4's are cherry - dunno how scarce the speakers are - perhaps I won't be able to remain that selective in the future.

Yes, that is a D'Appolito array. When you think about it, Klipsch still makes lots of speakers configured like this - but they're center channel units. I don't know the advantage (nor conversely the design disadvantage) of such an array.

And the 'CF' stands for 'Controlled Focus' - I don't know what this specifically means, or how these CF series speakers differ from their predecessors in the Klipsch lineup, but I can tell you the stereo imaging is fantastic. Many times, I'm fooled into thinking my amp's accidently in 'Pro-Logic' mode, because it seems like the center channel speaker is turned on when in fact it isn't.

----------------

On 3/29/2004 1:02:11 AM Vital wrote:

Those CF whatever look killer. How do they sound and why dont we hear much about them? They look fantastic. Do they sound as good as they look? I would think they can thump out some serious bass.

----------------

I think they sound impressive, but I've never owned speakers of this price class before, and I don't know if I'm all that qualified at this point to evaluate them.

The bass - the bass is clear, flat and powerful. Unlike cheaper 'bass heavy' speakers, there doesn't seem to be any 'emphasis' on bass, unless the music calls for it. Your post inspired me to fire up the Dazy Web Laboratories SG2102 PC Oscillator program on my laptop, and sending some deep bass test tones into the speakers last night. At 25 hz, I turned the McIntosh up until the 100 watt/ch power meter leds stayed lit continuously, but before the Power Guard kicked in. There were things rattling in my walls, and kitchen, that I didn't know rattled. The speakers were clean though. I'll have to get an SPL meter to do some checking, but it seemed as if there was only a 'slight' rolloff from 100 watts continuous at 30 hz. The thing is - these speakers can handle three times that amount of amplification 1.gif