Dared MP-6 SET Monos

neo33

Last week, I picked up a brand new pair of Dared MP-6 SET Monos for $150 at a local garage sale. Talk about dirt cheap tube amps, lots of bangs for the buck. Though I can't find much info on these amps. Comments and thoughts are welcomed.

Damn, $150 for the pair? Does it come with a seperate power supply chassis as well? There is very little info on Dared Electronics...try www.daredtubes.net (or .com). Why was the owner selling a new SET?

My bro just won an eBay auction recently on the Dared VP-16, see:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=47584&sessionID={EE7DE016-9EFD-4396-BC34-D6F763186662}#top

He just bought NOS tubes for the amp, but hasn't tried them all yet. Even with the stock Chinese tubes he's happy with how well it mates to his KG 3.2s! It's not McIntosh, but for the money, it ain't bad either!

I think that amp uses a 6L6 as SET output. The tube is close to the KT-66, which I find works very well in class-A triode, no feedback operation. In fact, I experimented with SET mode as I modified the heath W5Ms that have become the pp amps I use now. SET operation worked well.

Leo

"Did come from the Matrix ?"

Which matrix, Craig?

"Does it come with a seperate power supply chassis as well?"

Sure does.

"Why was the owner selling a new SET?"

Well, let just say the wife is clearing out her husband "junk".

"I think that amp uses a 6L6 as SET output."

Leo, at that price I don't really care if they are true SET amps or not. I have done some search and found that some paid as much as $600 for them. These amps sound surprisingly good!

Ha ha...I get it. Chinese junks, and the Chinese boats called "junks"...heh!

Don't let my bro hear ya callin' his Dared integrated "Chinese junk"...Frankly, they are anything but junk. This Dared blows his JoLida JD 202a right outta the water!

Neo, dig yer monoblocks, man. Post some pics when you get the chance! His loss was definately your gain, my friend.2.gif

Guest Anonymous

Dared=Shanling, both are manufactured at same plant named DARED who is supposedly as good as SPARK. I just bought the Dared SL2000A pre with remote after talking to a guy on audiogon who insisted it BLEW his Rogue Magnum 66 away.

Neo, check out both Audiogon and Audio Asylum threads, just typed in dared and read for an hour or so...Some guys are really hot rodding these with GREAT results.

Yeah they are cheap, but they are fun too....I wanted to get the Blueberry, but with health issues and operations comming up, sometimes it is WISE to spend penny's and save the $$$$ for better daze2.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 3/31/2004 9:03:34 PM jt1stcav wrote:

Damn, $150 for the pair? Does it come with a seperate power supply chassis as well? There is very little info on Dared Electronics...try www.daredtubes.net (or .com). Why was the owner selling a new SET?

My bro just won an eBay auction recently on the Dared VP-16, see:

He just bought NOS tubes for the amp, but hasn't tried them all yet. Even with the stock Chinese tubes he's happy with how well it mates to his KG 3.2s! It's not McIntosh, but for the money, it ain't bad either!

----------------

Tell your Bro to check out the uprgrade reco's in my previous post...INHO the are big bang for the buck, yes they are cheap, look at all the hoopla reguarding the cheap panasonic krell killers and the threads on the cheap dvd/cd players....you other are frigging SNOBS...get off your high horse and welcom cheap fun11.gif heh heh heh ha ha ha, don't be so frigging foolish12.gif

Hey Guys:

I haven't posted for awhile, just lurking, but this one caught my interest.

I have had a other types of tubes, Wright 2A3's for example, but I wanted to try a 300b.

I bought new pair of the Dared 300b Monoblocks from the distributor on AudiogoN. (Not as good a deal as above though!)

Exactly like these:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?ampstube&1080874583

- Same seller.

I had to buy the 300b tubes, so I bought a pair of TJ Premium Meshplates and a backup pair of EH Gold Plates.

The seller was very cooperative, shipped fast and over boxed.

They are very smooth and detailed as a 300b should be, but no, they do not blow away the $1500+ amps. They are great as an entry level 300b, and can be greatly modified.

AS it turns out, one of my volume pots started making noise after 1 week. I contacted the seller, returned them and he shipped me a brand new pair. No problems. Great Service.

They are surprisingly heavy units and build quality seems good. (Despite my problem).

I would recommend getting a new, upgraded power cord. That made a BIG difference in the soundstage and background detail.

I would recommend them for anyone looking to get into a 300b amp. Yea, you will trade up again later, but you will be smiling from day one.

Jobman

"Yeah they are cheap"

They're definitely cheap, alright. And the PSU makes audible noise and my 87dB speakers hum audibly from 2 feet away.

The Moondogs are QUIET! You have to put your ears close to the Cornwall to hear any hum at all.

Guest Anonymous

Neo, congrats and they are great to modify and play with, once you mod them, who the heck knows, they may end up being THE DEAL, though it will cost a few $$$$2.gif

Don't be bothered by snobs....have fun11.gif life just isn't long enough10.gif

----------------

On 4/2/2004 2:14:35 PM smilin wrote:

Neo, congrats and they are great to modify and play with, once you mod them, who the heck knows, they may end up being THE DEAL, though it will cost a few $$$$
2.gif

Don't be bothered by snobs....have fun
11.gif
life just isn't long enough
10.gif

----------------

Who's that? Snobs with three pairs of Alnico Cornwalls?

6.gif2.gif

Rick