Music you just don't "get"

gtDark

dgb:

Although, I am a musician, I agree with you! My little two-year old grandson, Andrew didn't need any training to tell him to shuffle his little feet to just about any kind of music that he hears. What a happy, little guy! I guess ignorance is bliss in his case!

-Picky 2.gif

Andrew_01b.jpgpost-10177-13819253750794_thumb.jpg

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 4/6/2004 11:49:48 PM space_cowboy wrote:

The reason you "don't get it" is because most of you don't have any formal music training, you listen to all the BS on the radio or your musical "ceedees" and think you know it all. Unless you have have any experience with piano or an instrument or band or orchestra, you really have no idea what you are talking about.(snip)

----------------

Wow, I didn't know I had to go to school to enjoy music! I must be more ignorant than I thought (or didn't know more than I didn't know, if you catch my drift!9.gif). And all this time I thought I had been having a good time, boy was I wrong! If I didn't find this claim quite so ridiculous I might have been offended, thanks for the laugh.

----------------

On 4/7/2004 10:01:05 AM dgb wrote:

"Art people" think I'm a cretin because I think Jackson Pollock was a spastic orangutan who managed to hoist a magnificent scam onto a bunch of beatniks.
:)
It may be shallow, but I like Rembrandts and Monets. I can look at them all day long, but I won't give Warhol or Pollock more than a passing glance, usually in revulsion or at least, befuddlement.

----------------

Lol. Good point.

Smooooooooth Jazz

Pretty much like everything else, from gospel to opera, from rap to punk,

from metal to klezmer. Just don't get smoooooooooth jazz. It's like taking

all the calories and taste out of various forms of music, and you end up with

watered-down, soul-sucking, elevator music played a soon to be forgotten era of

boring musicians.

Space_cowboy brings up an interesting point. I too studied piano for many years (baby grand is in the living room) grew up with the brothers rock bands in the garage, took some music classes in college. This made me aware of different ways music is appreciated; brain, heart, soul. Ive been to classical music concerts where people had the sheet music in front of them and they read along, this is a lot of brain. Then theres the times like at a bar, had a few beers listening to the music and your feet cant keep still, soul. Sometimes I hear a song like Louies What a Wonderful World and its all heart. Then theres the times like when I lived in Monterey and gazillions of cool people came to the jazz festival (and blocked my driveway) Im not sure what that one is, LOL! but hey if they enjoy it, fine by me.

Its like what they say about art.... I dont know much about art, but I know what I like. I think music is the same way. Too much brain and the Emperors new clothes story kicks in. Everybody thinks this music is so bichen, sounds like crap to me but if everyone else likes it, its gotta be good so I like it too. If I have to think about it too much, it kind of defeats the purpose for me.

Brain, heart, soul, preferably all, if it sounds good to me, I like it.

----------------

On 4/7/2004 2:12:42 PM Frank Speaker wrote:

If I have to think about it too much, it kind of defeats the purpose for me.

----------------

See, I'm just the opposite. Music is so thoroughly ingrained into my being, I cannot help but think about whatever is playing, to analyze it, to break it down into its fundamental building blocks. If I don't find anything there, it's a turnoff.

I hear ya Griffinator. Im like that in that I have a hard time with background music, its hard for me to ignore music, I have to listen to it and pay attention. If it appeals to me, then I analyze it. But If I dont hear anything in it and have to analyze it all with my brain to get anything out of it then that's what I mean by it defeats the purpose for me.

You dont have to be a biologist to appreciate life and you surely do not have to be a musician to appreciate music. I may dislike some music but I would be wrong to criticize anybody for enjoying what I might be critical of. Kidding around is ok but condemnation is ridicules.

Mr. Ear, I gave country a chance several years ago and I dont put it down anymore. In the truck, when heading north or west, its my music of choice. Well, maybe not the old hard core stuff!

In Celtic music, the singer always has a high nasal voice and sings something like "Down round the shipping yard, the lass did look upon me, I cast her a stare, raised me mug, and sailed off to sea."

============

I know.

The Chieftains i like a bit, mostly the instrumewntals.

BUT, the female Celtic singers get me a wee bit fiesty in thought and deed.

===========

Speed Metal

I like almost all of the heavy rock of the 70s; but big hair speed metal of the 80s and 90s is good for about 30 seconds.

nearly as atrocious as RAP.

Cannot take lyrics that glorify deviant behaior to the point of homicide.

----------------

On 4/8/2004 12:09:31 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

I like almost all of the heavy rock of the 70s; but big hair speed metal of the 80s and 90s is good for about 30 seconds.

----------------

Give an example of a "Big Hair Speed Metal" band. I think you are talking about two different things.

----------------

On 4/6/2004 11:49:48 PM space_cowboy wrote:

The reason you "don't get it" is because most of you don't have any formal music training, you listen to all the BS on the radio or your musical "ceedees" and think you know it all. Unless you have have any experience with piano or an instrument or band or orchestra, you really have no idea what you are talking about. I also don't really care for some of what ya'll are bashing, but it does have a beat, maybe not your beat.

Beat me Daddy Eight to the Bar.

Space out.

----------------

Anyone can appreciate music without being a musician and even have a musical ear in the same way a musician, though he may have years of experience, still can't play worth a hoot or keep a beat.

George Lynch is a smoker on the guitar and awesome in my opinion, and he is totally ear taught. He knows nothing of theory or reading music. And he never practices he only gets practice when he teaches and of course touring and in the studio. He says he really relies on his equipment unlike Zakk Wylde or Eddie Van Halen which could play through a garbage can and sound good. Either way he sounds good to me. I just wish he would find a descent singer. You can get some really inventive players because they werent' taught by anyone or influenced that much by other players. Blah blah blah blah blah

Give an example of a "Big Hair Speed Metal" band. I think you are talking about two different things.

==================

Mettalica wanna bees.

The bands that did not figure out "Spinal Tap" is a spoof.

I cannot commmit grey matter to remembering bands like Slayer perhaps.

Many, but the most irritating in the rock era is the southern boogie bands:

Leanard Skynard (sp)

38 special

Molly fricken Hatchet (omp ba bidi a dom bab boo???) what the hell is that??

There are more, I just get too worked up trying to remember them.

dgb...I agree with the legends - they shouldn't be.

All bubble gum/candy a$$.

----------------

On 4/8/2004 11:32:03 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

==================

Mettalica wanna bees.

The bands that did not figure out "Spinal Tap" is a spoof.

I cannot commmit grey matter to remembering bands like Slayer perhaps.

----------------

I think types like Slayer, Nuclear Assault, Napalm Death et al are what he's referring to. High-speed powerchords plus barking/screaming = noise....