Best Cornwall Crossover

Deang

A very good question Dean, I would like to know that myself. Mine have the very old C-22 crossover in them. I always wondered if there was any huge benefit to replacing them. I just got done converting the AK-2's in my Khorns to AK-3's and there was certainly an improvement.

Dean, this is a question that I've always wanted a better answer to - but there are other variables involved.

My favorite Cornwall of them all was the mid seventies alnico versions with the B crossover (like you sold me, as well as my '76 decorator versions). I also like the late 60's version with the A type setup, like in my 68's.

Here is the problem:

In assessing the quality of the crossovers (especially when involving the 80's versions into the mix), one cannot simply switch in other crossovers and find out the difference. The late 70's and 80's versions used different drivers as well as crossovers - and different electronic requirements - so what differences are crossover related, and what is driver related (heppener drivers in later models) is difficult to discern, because you cannot switch crossovers freely from one model to the other - with all other varibles being the same.

For example, one cannot compare the 70s "B" to later versions and tell the diff between crossovers, because the drivers are different too, and have different electronic setups and requirements. So the question begs: is my preference of the 60s and 70's models (vs. the 80s) related to the crossover, the drivers, or both?? I suspect both - but I have always been curious what is attributed to the driver, and what qualities are attributed to the crossover build.

One of my plans in my 2 channel system will involve tweaking/experimenting with the crossover config on the Belles - I wish to try an "A" configuration and compare to the current "AA" type. As far as I know, that's the one config I can compare one vs. the other, with no other changes necessary. I could do this between the A and B in my current Cornwalls as well, but I plan to try this on the Belles first, to see what results I get.

Sorry I couldn't answer the question, but I'm sure interested in the topic.

The Original Cornwall. I believe we have Type B, Type B2, and Type B3.

What do you guys make of this comment?

"Some Cornwall crossovers (B2) have a vicious bounce-back in the 5-9KHz range, which gives you the ringing sound."