Trey URGENT!!!

erikjohn

I was just doing some pretty serious jamming and I noticed that the driver in my RSW 15 was getting quite hot. I could smell the heat. I'm not sure if it has done this before but is this normal? I felt the drivers on my SVS Dual Ultra's and they were totally cool. Any Ideas? Is it possible that i am not feeding the amp enough juice, 15 amp wall socket? I have never heard any popping from the driver or noticed any type of failure? I do have it hooked throght the marchland box that I got with the svs so it can get some pretty serious gain pumped into it and I've come to realize that that rsw driver can handle just about anything you can throw at it, but I also realize that heat will kill it. Am I just pushing it too hard? I mean it seems to take whatever I throw at at but without producing additional bass. Maybe I just need to find that middle ground. Ive been fiddling around alot with pplace ment and whatnot lately so it kind has gotten uncalibrated with everything else.

Erik

----------------

On 4/5/2004 11:13:36 AM erikjohn wrote:

I have never heard any popping from the driver or noticed any type of failure? ... but I also realize that heat will kill it. Am I just pushing it too hard?

----------------

Yup... a warm driver and the smell of burning electronics is a sign of overpowering a driver. You mentioned hearing no strain, but remember that sustained repetitive sounds (like a sine wave) may not cause over excursion of the driver (ie: bottoming out), but may push the voice coil near its thermal limit.

Count yourself lucky you didnt have a catastrophic failure... but Id lower the gain.

Rob

• Klipsch Employees

EJ,

All our subs have compresion ckt. on the input...no matter what you toss at it, the amp will only put out "X" amount of power. My guess is that you tosted the input ckt. if not the amp...do you know what amout of voltage your "booster" puts out and how clean?

man!!

how can you stand it!?!

i run about +5 on my sub level setting on my receiver(-10 to +10 is the range)so i don't have a problem w/the auto on working at lower volume levels and to be sure i am playing signal, not noise. that puts the volume control between 10 and 2 o'clock, and somtimes THAT is so much bass it is 'embarrassing'( trying NOT to p-off the neighbors who have been REALLY cool)

you must really have rediculous bass volume output, or a really bad room for bass.

avman.

Trey,

Theres nothing wrong with the sub or anything it still pumps major bass with no problems, I just got a little concerned when I felt thr rear driver and it was quite warm. As far as the sound quality ofthr unit I haven't nticed any loss. BTW the room is 25'x 30'x9.5' and it sit in one of the rear corners. If this component that you spoke of was fried would everything still work ok? BTW I use the BLACK BOX that is optional with the SVS Dual Ultra's that incidetally sit on top of my Khorns.

Erik

• Klipsch Employees

I talked with some of the Engineers that worked on that project. they tell me that what you are "seeing" is norminal. The woofer cone acts like a heat sink for the woofer voice coil. It "sinks" the heak away from the voice coil. I was told that during the power test phase of the project, we had the woofer get down right hot to the touch. However, we have never had a problem due to the heat. No glue joints coming lose, no disscoloration or anyother "bad' things. All they had to say was that you had to be driving the dog out of that thing...and it it is still working, they must have done there job.....

SVS , if ported, has more air flow over the woofer. This would help in keeping the temp down on the woofer. You may not have as much power driven with the SVS amp as the RSW...not knowing much about your SVS I can't say.