Who will be buying the new NV40/R420?

TheEAR

In this month's issue of maximum pc they did a speed test pitting the x800 xt against the 6800 ultra. Results are as follows (all in frames per second):

Test Program 6800 x800 radeon 9800xt

Halo 35.03 59.75 28.1

Far Cry 62 65.8 53

UT 2003 flyby 261 275.5 127.3

Aquamark 3D 63536 63487 45857

3Dmark2003 game2 95 88.5 45

3Dmark2003 game4 62.8 71.2 37.4

" pixel shader 2.0 156.4 121 157.2

So as you can see, the x800 won all of the real world tests while th 6800 won the theoretical benchmarks. Just some more info to help make your decisions.

-edit- wow that doesn't look at all like the pretty table that I made... what is up with this software???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

nVidia and nVidiots can pour out all the BS they want,fact is ATI beat them AGAIN in real world benchmarks...GAMES!

LOL

In any case I do not care,I am getting both.I am buying a Sapphire X800PRO this thursday!HE HE

And the 6800Ultra and X800 XT Platinum near the end of the month,preordered them too. 3.gif

Now where is my Doom 3 and Half Life 2?

• 3 weeks later...

ITs funny, because Nvidia is scared, and they have a history of pooring out these BS slideshows, they have done it in the past. ATI is a smarter company then, and anybody who deems otherwise is blind. While Nvidia showcases all this technology, they are still slower in games then ATI's offering. Even still, Nvidias technology is far from being in games. The Unreal 3 technology wo't be arriving until 2006 possibly. ATI focuses on today, and show good cause too, and as games advance, so too will ATI. Meanwhile Nvidia has their head up there *** and trys to but fails to manipulate the part of the market, that ATI took from them. With Technology that is far from being used, creating a more completeicated chip that requires more energy meaning FAR more heat. Face it, like the Athlon over the P4, ATI's cards are just plain and simple more efficent.

I also love how the drivers come into play when its a known fact that ATI's drivers have FAR improved since the Radeon 8500, while Nvidia has accually gotten slightly worse since the Geforce 3/4 days.

in reality, whichever video card you purchase your gaming performance will be more than sufficient. sure, the hardcore gamers want the best but the best in the gaming market is usually close to overkill.

as for Nvidia, it's possible that their unified drivers are becoming the bottleneck. it's nice to have a single driver set for all cards, but shouldn't they just make a cutt-off at some point and optimize the drivers for a smaller group of chipsets. plus, it would shrink down the size of their drivers too!

as it is, their current set of drivers is over 10MB.

People people listen up Nvidia just anounced their dual tandem GeForce 6800Ultra on a dual PCI-X board! Yeeeeehaaaaaaaaw yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

I am buying this dual PCI-X board and dual 6800Ultra as soon as its out.Yeeeehaaaaaaaaaw

Nobody beats my game machines NOBODY keep up with TheEAR 9.gif

Damn I am high,finally a real power monger system that will run DOOM 3 at 1600*1200 all detail maxed,yeeehaaaaw.Did I say yeehaw?

Two of these cards should run a paltry $1000 and the MOBO around 350-$500 depending on integrated options(SCSI,1394,Gigabit la,WIFI).

Who said PC's are getting cheaper,only junk is getting cheaper.

I don't know how long I can wait but I'd go for an Athlon 64 with a gig of RAM and an NForce4 mobo with dual PCIe x16 slots for Nvidia's SLI (yes, I am nuts enough to pay $800 to $1000 for an uber graphics subsystem 11.gif). I use my Hauppauge WinTV card to record TV shows so throw in a 250GB or 400GB hard drive and a Plextor dual-layer DVD burner for good measure 3.gif

----------------

On 6/28/2004 8:39:49 PM TheEAR wrote:

People people listen up Nvidia just anounced their dual tandem GeForce 6800Ultra on a dual PCI-X board! Yeeeeehaaaaaaaaw yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw

I am buying this dual PCI-X board and dual 6800Ultra as soon as its out.Yeeeehaaaaaaaaaw

Nobody beats my game machines NOBODY keep up with TheEAR
9.gif

Damn I am high,finally a real power monger system that will run DOOM 3 at 1600*1200 all detail maxed,yeeehaaaaw.Did I say yeehaw?

Two of these cards should run a paltry $1000 and the MOBO around 350-$500 depending on integrated options(SCSI,1394,Gigabit la,WIFI).

Who said PC's are getting cheaper,only junk is getting cheaper.

----------------

I dunno, there is a few Futuremark members that would give ya good smack around, course they are the hardcore of PC enthusists. Couple of guys have passed the 17,000 mark in 03, including the ever so legendary Macci.

17000 3D Marks in 2003 is great,its a single card setup,I can get with no trouble around 14000 from each card(X800 XT Platinum Edition or GF 6800 Ultra Extreme)

Now take two and I surpass 24000 with ease,and I factor in a 2000 loss to the way the cards work in tandem.

No single card setup will even touch what I will get with two watercooled monsters.

For now my X800's(Pro and XT Platinum)are A ok,I can run Far Cry maxed at 1600*1200 butah smooth.9.gif

I just improved cooling in both main systems,s=installed some Delta dual blade 60/80mm fans and a few Tornado fans.Now these systems really ...suck...air.10.gif

Bring on Doom 3,Half Life 2 and STALKER.

Links,nope sir...my card showed BIG artifacts at 13924 in 2003. LOL It does not count,with no artifacting I can get a shade over 12500.

Where did I buy mine,I sell these cards I know distrubutors.They do not have any in stock right now,should get more middle of July.I always get some rare items a few days before most 2.gif

• 3 weeks later...

No need to water cool,I just changed the coolers on the ATI X800 cards and boosted airflow on the 6800Ultra.

9.gif

Now all is good,nothing a few Delta double blade fans will not do 1.gif

Damn Nvidia is beating ATI big time in Doom 3,glad to have all the top dogs.I hope for ATI's sake they start working on optimising their drivers for Doom 3.Of they will lose sales BIG time.

And BTW do not buy Sapphire video cards,they overclock poorly.I had to sell my X800PRO.It6 stunk at overclocking like a piece of rotting meat,artifacts showed after wlike even at 515 core and 1020 memory.This with massive cooling!

Sapphire just lost me as a customer,the clowns.That will teach them to cut corners

HIS Excalibur ATI based X800 cards are way better,and with the blower coolers they are great overclockers and run quiet to boot.

ear,

took me a while to install the waterblock on the 6800gt... but after about 2 hours of work, it is installed and rolling on! sprung a leak but it was a minor one.

benched about 12176 on 2003... i may be able to go a little higher... but i see no point.

my overclock:

core = 431 mhz

memory = 1150 mhz

temps = 43idle/49load

stock:

core = 350

mem = 1000

temps 59idle/83load

Holy crap did I read right over 50 idle and over 80 Celcius under load! Damn that is hot,too hot.

I use two 60mm Delta fans blowing on the video card,51cf each.And the card has a air duct to force air thru the fan and to force more air on the heatsink.

The ducting works wonders and these ubber fans along side a 10000BTU air conditioning maintain 18 Celcius in the room.

My X800PRO stays at 27 Celcius idle and never goes above 38 Celcuis under full load! Both the X800PRO and X800XT PE use the BIG coolers stock on the HIS upscale cards.And I removed the blower fan and now use a 80mm Sunon Tornado(84cfm!).Now this is what I call forced air supercooling.

The 6800Ultra runns a bit hotter,35 at idle and 47 under full load.Still these are always under 50 Celcius,with stock 6800 cooling,with a little help from a few Delta screamers.

I cannot stand high temps,these ruin overclocking and stability at high speeds.

When I bench I drop room tems to near 16 Celcius!COLD But systems run at blazing speeds and are stable

u do know i meant "stock" like stock heatsink and stock temps (without my waterblock) right?

i dont do stock ear... if it aint tweaked... it aint going to my machine!

dang man... u got some nice cool cards there... i bet its cuz u drop those ambient temps down so low! my room is never cold - summertime here in the suburbs of chicago and it is hot hot hot!

what are you 3dmarks ear? u prob have me beat because i am more cpu limited than you are... 15.gif .

o well.. i got the watercooling... 10.gif .

I think that something is wrong with you. lol

----------------

On 7/26/2004 8:11:13 PM TheEAR wrote:

Holy crap did I read right over 50 idle and over 80 Celcius under load! Damn that is hot,too hot.

I use two 60mm Delta fans blowing on the video card,51cf each.And the card has a air duct to force air thru the fan and to force more air on the heatsink.

The ducting works wonders and these ubber fans along side a 10000BTU air conditioning maintain 18 Celcius in the room.

My X800PRO stays at 27 Celcius idle and never goes above 38 Celcuis under full load! Both the X800PRO and X800XT PE use the BIG coolers stock on the HIS upscale cards.And I removed the blower fan and now use a 80mm Sunon Tornado(84cfm!).Now this is what I call forced air supercooling.

The 6800Ultra runns a bit hotter,35 at idle and 47 under full load.Still these are always under 50 Celcius,with stock 6800 cooling,with a little help from a few Delta screamers.

I cannot stand high temps,these ruin overclocking and stability at high speeds.

When I bench I drop room tems to near 16 Celcius!COLD But systems run at blazing speeds and are stable

----------------