Dolby Digital From ProMedia 5.1

Maynard

Ok, I have gone through quit a bit of the board and want to make sure of something. I am getting a new computer and the ProMedia 5.1's whent hey come out. I want Dolby Digital surround sound. I am going to get a Soundblaster Live! XGamer 5.1 sound card. Would I still need to get WinDVD 3.0 in order to get Dobly Digital? Would I need anything else?

On a completely different note, has anyone here used a video out to use your TV to watch DVD's played from your computer? How is the quality?

Thanks

No, you don't need anything else

WinDVD can decode the dolby digital and dts formats and output them via the 5.1 analogs on the live x-gamer.

In my experience the s-video outputs from vid cards to TVs don't look very good, simply cause s-video aint that great, and it looks terrible after looking at the image on a high-res monitor.

Though, you should try it out anyhow, to see for yourself, since you don't need to do anything else but the s-vid cable, and if you have really big tv, it might better anyhow.

Once HDTV outputs become available on video cards, it'll be more worthwhile to hook your comptuer up to your TV, but then many of the HDTV sets out there now support simple SVGA inputs anyhow.

I set powerDVD to SPDIF output and the SB Live 5.1 does the decoding to my 4.1's, although i notice that the sblive is designed for cambridge speakers because the seperate subwoofer out is active, but if you turn off redirection it works fine

boy i bet that was confusing, get the game theater xp

tom

Any of the SB 5.1 cards would be perfect to use with the ProMedia 5.1's. The card decodes DD itself, but the media that you're listening to must be encoded in DD in order to get the 5.1 sound. WinDVD will output the DD (and if the version supports it, DTS as well) through the 5.1 analog outputs of the card.

For watching DVD on TV, you would need a card that is specifically designed for that. Just a normal video card with a composite or s-vid output won't look that great. You would need an actual DVD decoder card, ie. dxr3, to get a good picture on your tv. However, if you use a decoder card, you would need to use a separate digital audio decoder such as the Audio Tornado in order to get the 5.1 sound. This is because the dvd cards only have a digital audio out.

Paul

This message has been edited by oogins on 07-10-2001 at 05:52 PM

yeah...the game theater xp is perfect for the pros5.1...

Mike

Ok Mike, Please explain this one to me. The Game Theater XP has no AC3 or DTS decoder onboard. The PM5.1's have no AC3 or DTS decoder onboard. How is the XP even a usable solution considering most people buying a 5.1 speaker system will actually want 5.1 discrete sound? Please tell me if I am missing something here. I was very much looking forward to picking up an XP myself and it now seems that I will be stuck with another SB card if I want DD.

Please tell me I am mistaken, I still have a few days to return my SB5.1. Smile.gif

Tabby;

The GameTheater XP does have Dolby Digital. Either the XP or the SB 5.1 will work with the PM5.1 (and complete the Dolby Digital equation).

------------------

Klipsch ProMedia Customer Service # is

1-888-554-5665

This message has been edited by Dan F on 07-10-2001 at 07:37 AM

Gee Dan, I certainly hate to disagree with you here, seeing as you seem to know more than most when it comes to this kinna stuff. But, I just spoke with the fine people at Hercules the other day and they assured me that the Game Theater XP did NOT have a Dolby Digital Decoder built it.

6 channel audio is avialable through the Power DVD software that comes with it however (if that is what you are refering to) but the card itself has no DD Decoder, thus limiting your 5.1 channel playback to movies only.

Thanks for the clarification, Tabby. The XP's decoder is built into the PowerDVD software, instead of on the hardware; which may make a difference for the gamer- user.

------------------

1-888-554-5665

Well now I'm really going to screw things up and say that I am going to order a Game Theater XP Today and return my SB Live 5.1. I just got off the phone with my GUILLEMOT rep. and he informs me that the XP will soon be supporting DTS-ES, Dolby Digital-EX, and Prologic 2 by utilizing the headphone output as a dual rear center. As I own a small fortune in DVD's and can't remember how long its been since my last frag, I think I'd rather give up the 5 channel gaming and get the extra 2 discrete channels for DVD. Guess I'm going to have to get a set of 2.1's now too. Smile.gif

What do ya think Dan, Should that do the trick?

It must be December 18 1976, cause I haven't been this impatient since I was 6 years old waiting for Christmas day. Smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Tabbycatt:

What do ya think Dan, Should that do the trick?

Heh. That sounds like a plan. Did the G-man say whether the upgrade was going to cost extra? It seems to me that the Dolby and DTS folks would want a bigger bag of money...

It does sound like a very cool feature, and a good way to provide it.

btw; I haven't fragged much of anything since the original Wolfenstein <g>.

-djf

------------------

1-888-554-5665

Nope, It won't cost any extra. It simply upgrades the Power DVD software to a DTS-ES and DD EX version. and when a DTS-ES source is input such as Gladiator on DVD it takes the headphone and microphone channels and converts them into the rear centers. Neat huh.