Home depot speaker wire

wheelman

That's what they tell me. I did however notice a better sound with digital coax after awhile. That is wire ? I have acually hurd it smooth out on somethings. When somethings harsh it's harsh you don't get used to that. That's what some may call listener's fatigue

----------------

On 4/12/2004 1:29:44 AM TBrennan wrote:

Wheeler----Oh, the grifters that sell you the wires tell you it "burns in". So that's how it works, they tell you and you believe.

Not much of an electro-mechanical explanation but a great psychological one.

----------------

Same principle involves loudspeakers too.

Keith

• 1 year later...

I have researched this issue exhaustively and have discovered that the electrons used in Home Depot 12 guage speaker cable are superficially similar to those supplied in wire provided by other suppliers ...but in reality the wire supplied by home Depot is deficient as compared to higher end products. Home Depot being a huge chain exercises considerable influence with its suppliers in the area of cost and electromicroscopic analysis has established that the wire retailed by HD ( unknown to them ) does in fact use Class B electrons which are the causative factor in the inferior sonic character of their .30/ft 12 guage speaker wire.

Fortunately,only the supplier of the 12 guage had indulged in this shabby practice and the same tests that revealed the substandard electrons in the 12 guage wire revealed that the 22 guage speaker wire contained only the highest possible grade of electrons.

Sometimes a bargain awaits even for the uninitiated.

I like how Lynn humorously expressed his opinions regarding "wire," or other hot topics, without attacking the intelligence or sincerity of those holding different opinions.

You can add me to the list of "green" wire from HD. I probably have the same 12ga. as everyone else from HD and over time it turned green inside (have to look close) and became "stiff".

This was inside my house under HVAC control over a couple of years.

OTOH, I am still using some monster cable from the 80s which sold as "UV protected/deoxygenated". It has a thick opaque black rubberized shield and is 12ga. It has tons of strands, and still strips back with a brand new copper shine. It's over 20 years old and I still use it simply because I still have it, it looks and works fine, and it still reaches the speakers.

If it makes you feel better then buy expensive wire. The more expensive, the better you will feel.

Not one scientific "double-blindfolded" test indicates that you can hear the difference between lamp cord and the most expensive boutique wire when they are the same gauge and length.

Not one.

Nada.

Zilch.

If anyone has knowledge of a report to the contrary, please share it with the rest of us.

By Home Depot speaker wire, I assume reference is being made to wire with clear insulation.

It would probably please Lynn Marshall to know that I've replaced all of the 18 gauge zip cord that Klipsch put in the La Scalas Im resurrecting (see
Four abused Lascalas need a good home - sold ) with black 14 gauge zip cord from Home Depot. He would be pleased because zip was replaced with more zip, not because anything was wrong with what Klipsch supplied.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Most of the decades old Klipsch zip was fine and couldve been re-used. Nevertheless, it seemed prudent to put in fresh wire and theres no harm in going slightly larger. I expect that the vinyl clad 100% copper HD zip will work fine for years to come.

In a nod to Lynnm, I insisted that only egalitarian electrons be supplied. None of those snooty electrons that refuse to travel on anything less than boutique cables need apply. What happens to them when they get to the small gauge plebian copper wire in the networks and voice coils? Do they just refuse to go forward? Do they join the resistance?

post-8936-13819275922606_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread.

My Monster wire turned into just that -- a monster of icky green yecch. So I replaced it with the stuff in my signature. I think it was well under $30 for a 100' roll. Cheap to replace and sounds just fine to me. Maybe I'm just growing deaf to notice any differences.

Wow time does fly and so do points of views. I still think Home Depot wire isn't that great. I don't however think speaker wire is as important as I did back then. I still do think it's part of the chain, and that some color the sound a little. Some may be smoother for whatever reason, or harsher. Seems I like to find something a tad smoother with a blaring horn close by ( further away wouldn't matter much to me). Maybe for the same reason some folks like the tube sound. But that is still my opinion. Lynnm was very cool about giving you a good dissing. One thing i've learned is just because you do not agree with some people. Does not mean you cannot get along with them.

Well i just got some 12 guage on sale at .30 cents a foot. Well I am surely not impressed.

The wire I just hooked up from Home Depot is not their speaker wire.......It is 10 gauge electrical wire and for my system it sounds waaaaay better than 12 ga. Monster speaker wire or average 14 ga. lamp cord.

THERE...I just joined in the great speaker wire debate.........wasn't that fun?