6.1/7.1 w/ a twist

yromj

----------------

On 4/16/2004 5:55:57 AM JewishAMerPrince wrote:

Now I use RS 35s as my rear centers(s). The so called "spraying" effect of the RS as rear surrounds actually works quite well to deliver an enveloping surround effect on THX and PLIIx material.

JR

----------------

...and some folks fill their gardens with 6.1 plastic flamingoes.

Taste is, and should remain, a personal preference. For example I prefer fresh lox to yesterday's gefilte fish... fresh squeezed orange juice to citrus free powdered Tang... and having the full-range sound of my surrounds in my ear before the off-the-wall reflections arrive.

The ersatz "enveloping surround effect" is caused by eliminating the first side/surround sound waves and allowing only the second hand reflections to reach your ear... that's like forcing all your steaks, chops and filet mignon through the grinder so you can be enveloped in sonic burgers!

Modern DVD mixes send all the information required for the appropriate ambiance to the appropriate channels in 5.1 (6.1) movies or music... and your ears deserve to hear all the sound without the ear deseptive practices of sound spraying. 11.gif -HornEd

HornEd, can you say broken record? Don't take this the wrong way, I respect your opinion more than practically anyone on this board, but geez, give it a rest, we all know where you stand on the dipole/bipole vs. monopole debate a.k.a. identical speakers setup. I personally agree with your stance on that subject, but alas my ears tire of hearing the same thing thing over and over again just re-worded. I hope you don't take offense as none was intended.

You've got a point, Matt... and it's one with which I agree. The problem is that after covering this point so many times on the Forum, I still get a ton of email from newbies and lurkers on these same issues. Each time I address the issue again, my personal email Klipsch load goes down a notch.

Last year it got so burdensome that I took an eight month hiatus from the Forum. Much of the email then was from people who were convinced that somehow I was anti-Klipsch for recommending Klipsch center speakers for surrounds instead of the WDST approach... or for hints on how to convert various free standing towers to horizontalized speakers.

Maybe we could develop a codeword by which savvy Klipschers like you could recognize any new material that might be contained in a post. Believe it or not, I think I do post more new material than old... particularly with the 6.1 Khorn plus 4 Belles and a subterranean subwoofer that is now occupying the forefront of my audio excesses. -HornEd

PS: Please note that when I do do a variant of the same old all full-range monopole systems, it is in response to a person who (1) seems not to understand monopoles as a viable option or (2) is soliciting a better way to build his rig.

Ed, thanks for not taking what I said personally. My problem is not with you in particular (although it really looks that way in hindsight, I sincerely apologize) I just get tired of reading the same topics "discussed" on this section of the Klipsch forum when these "discussions" never really bring any new information, novel propositions, etc. to the issue at hand. I wish newcomers to the forum would utilize the "Search" function before posting questions. At the same time, although newcomers ask these same questions, forum regulars are in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation in that 1) if they don't answer the questions they are at times attacked by the question poster as not caring or 2) if they do answer the questions they are at times attacked by other regulars (i.e. me in this case) for repeating their stance on a topic. I apologize for composing my post in such a way that it unfairly singled you out of the whole when the problem I have is not with you but this entire forum. Thanks for being the bigger man and not taking offense. Wishing you always the best.

Matthew.