OT- What's your favorite personal firewall?

geekysteve

I'm so mad at BlackICE Defender right now, I've decided to start looking for different firewall programs for my home PC.

What type of personal firewall are you using? Like I just mentioned, I've been using BlackICE for almost a year. Never had any problems with it.

Then, I upgraded to version 2.1 (BugTraq had been listing a lot of vulnerabilities for 1.9), and ever since the upgrade I get the dreaded blue screen everytime I turn on my PC. I uninstalled 2.1 and installed 1.9- works great...

So, I contacted BlackICE- talk about jerks. Per their request, I sent them .dll files, .ini files, .log files, .sys files, and no response. I waited a week and wrote them again- no response. I waited another week and wrote them. They said nothing looked odd to them and that I should just use version 1.9...ahem? 1.9 is vulnerable!

So, I started using Zonealarm, but I'm exploring other firewalls...any ideas?

------------------

The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.

-- Qui Gon Jinn, Star Wars: Episode One

Try the world's greatest search engine: www.google.com

I'm using version 1.6.8.11 and what I don't know doesn't hurt me...

smile.gif

seriously that's a good question, I like blackice but it's got some weaknesses, so if anybody knows of a better program...

------------------

Pump up the BASS!!

Ive used BlackICE for 5 minutes.. it sucked :P not much for an interface. and or options.

i use AtGuard (by norton utilities) it works well... It can also block website banner ads.. and annoying java popup windows smile.gif

Another i heard is ZOne Alarm.. ive never used that tho..

(edited 07-05-2000).]

From what I've read,the choice comes down to Zone Alarm or Norton Internet Security 2000. NIS 2000 allows you to tweak the access to individual ports.It also integrates well with Norton System Works and includes a copy of the Norton anti-virus program.Norton is very good at posting new virus definitions and software updates so that would be a big plus.

Personally, I try to use freeware when possible but I can see that a firewall might not be the place to save a buck or two!

Thanks for everyone's input so far. I was really hoping that someone would have some info on the McAfee firewall program... For some reason, I'm not a huge fan of Norton products- I use what I "must", but otherwise I prefer McAfee.

So far, Zone Alarm has been working great- it's defended over 20 probes so far (1 day)...

------------------

There was a recent PC Magazine article about firewalls. They gave an Editor's Choice to Norton Internet Security 2000. I may seriously consider checking that out myself. I have been using Norton products for YEARS (well, actually PC Tools until Symtantic bought out Central Point and killed the product frown.gif ). I think the Norton products are good. If you don't want to spend the money, then Zone Alarm seems to be your best bet - Hey, like Hofy said - "If it is good enough for Leo Laporte, then it is good enough for me!".

BTW, Just how many of you watch the Screen Savers - hey, they are talking about compiling programs right now - something that I went through four years of college to learn to do smile.gif!

Steven Konopa.

For what it's worth, my experience. I have been using Norton Internet Security and Norton System Works for some time now, and all I can say is that I am a happy man, a satisfied customer. Sure, it doesn't come cheap, but the programs include almost everything you're gonna need. That way there is almost no need to use other programs which can lead to an unstable pc (more programs running=more instability). Norton has very reliable and stable products, support is outstanding. It is very user friendly.

What can I say, you got the cash? Buy it!

I have DSL and just purchased the LinkSys DSL/Cable Router. It provides a hardware firewall with network address translation. Really got it to resolve a problem with the BellSouth PPPoE Software, but this little box turned out to be a real gem!!

Oh yeah. I love the grc website. I own SpinRite 5.0, and I test my 'firewall' there occasionally.

I always send friends to his website- it's well done, and grc makes some awesome, awesome products.

------------------