Does anyone use a SUB w/Klipschorns

Dylanl

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't use a sub anymore with my Cornwalls, but when I did, my AudioControl Richter Scale was set to 90Hz and below while the Cornwalls played full frequency. IMO, the Klipschorns also don't need a subwoofer.

----------------

On 4/15/2004 11:27:15 PM jt1stcav wrote:

I don't use a sub anymore with my Cornwalls, but when I did, my AudioControl Richter Scale was set to 90Hz and below while the Cornwalls played full frequency. IMO, the Klipschorns also don't need a subwoofer.

----------------

Certainly not if they're nice and snug. Tom Longo uses his occasionally. You may want to email or pm him. He doesn't always check the board (DTLongo).

I use my sub occasionally with heavy bass material aka raprock or whatever i.e. Kid Rock. I cross it over at 35Hz since the KHorns do 35Hz..the sub gets the lower stuff..and usually, I don't use the sub. Klipschorns don't really need one..I just like it on that kind of music.

regards,

Steve

Nothing wrong with asking......that's why we're here!

Some may use a sub because the setup is not optimal - either in the seal of the speakers in corners, or room acoustics. If set up correctly/ideally, you will have such divine and accurate bass response that there is no need for a subwoofer. A subwoofer with properly installed Khorns is like a hot water heater - an exercise in redundancy.

I use the RSW 15 in DVD's and music DVD's too. Just to add a little thump to what is already a great low end. Do you really need it with K horns..?? NO.. Do I like it... YES!!

I do not always use it with music though, maybe 25% of the time with cd's.

If your real question is for music do you need it? NO you do not!

I set mine about 40Htz I think...about 12-1 O'Clock on the turn up dial... MORE than enough umph for sure!!

exactly..you don't NEED it..but if you like extra thump on certain type of music, well..where it calls for it..then I personally like the sub. On typical R+R, jazz, blues etc. it will muddy it up.

Let me reiterate..I only use it for bass lower than the (yes, they are sealed in the corners, properly set up) KHorns are capable of..and there's not a lot of that music around.

Steve

It all depends on the music you are listening to and how close you want to get to 'the real thing'. Whenever I went to a classical concert, I was struck by the sound and impact of the bass drum. I mean already a very soft thud registered and added the appropriate touch to a Mahler symphony etc.

Coming home to my Khorns I was always disappointed that good as the bass undoubtedly was, this impact simply wasn't there. Okay, it might be my room, it might be my amps, but fact was, something vital was missing from the sound.

Enter sub: I already had a sub from my previous speakers, hooked it up and.....yep, we were getting closer. Enter SVS (not affiliated in any way!) and at last I get bass response that is certainly closer to a concert experience (bearing in mind I am NOT in the hall, we are talking about a recording etc)than anything I had ever experienced in my four walls. To my ears a sub can add realism to reproduced music that even Khorns on their own cannot (yes, mine are snug in the corner...sealed). The setting of the sub varies a bit from amp to amp, but I have crossed it over between 40hz (being the lowest setting) and 50hz.

Wolfram

No, I don't use one. But like everything else, if I had the money to spare, and the room to set one up right -- I'd probably use it for movies. The cornerhorns do the slam/rumble thing pretty good though.

When did you get the K-horns Dylan, I guess I missed that (or just don't remember).

I agree with Wolfram and Q-man... PWK designed the Khorns to cover the essential range of a symphony orchestra... but there are drum and organ sounds that go way below the mighty Klipschorns prodigious reach. Getting down another 15 or 20 Hz with an "adequate" sub not only helps special musical passages... but gives dimension to movies that naked Khorns fail to supply. -HornEd

Chiming in and agreeing with adding a good sub. The thing I found interesting is not solely on passages where the sound is explicitely that low on a recording, but I believe that extra octave (40hz to 20hz) of limited degredation on the LF adds a fullness that completes the speaker without being obvious.

It did surprise me when I added the sub for my brother's Khorns - intellectually I knew it worked for all other heritage but was very pleased to hear what happened with the corner babies.

I use one and love it!

I bring the sub in around 25 Hz in order to keep it from competing with the Khorns. That way the Khorn "sound" predominates and the sub fills (there is probably a little gap between them which is no problem with me).

I do not need it on most music but I have some pipe organ CDs that just shine like no tomorrow with the sub.

I think I have it right because sometimes I have to get up and see if I still have it turned on. But when I get my organ music going the sub lets its presence be known.

My take? There sometimes is music below 40 Hz.

k-horns may "go down" to 35hz...but not with much power IMHO...with my k-horns, below 50hz I get rapid drop off...I love the sound of the speakers but can tell they do not plumb the depths of bass found in some synth music...I have considered a sub to fill in 15-50hz but I have not auditioned a sub powerful and lithe enough to keep up with k-horns...perhaps the bruce edgar´s sub? regards, tony

Tony,

I have read as well that only horn-loaded subs really blend with Khorns, but believe me, this sub of mine does an excellent job in providing the bottom end that I had been craving for....and for the price it's really a steal 9.gif .

Wolfram

I'll throw my hat into the "sub--yea!" category. When I first purchased my Klipschorns, I had them in the corners, but not with a tight fit, since I was in a home with baseboard radiators. I was also running them on the "B" terminals from my HT rig, which included my SVS sub. I though it was a great match, and the sub picked up where the K-horns left off.

Now that I have them in "almost" proper corners, I can really tell the bass that these speakers deliver. I am not running a sub at this time, and while the speakers sound great, I can remember certain times in songs where I know there is really low material, heard with the K-horn/sub combo, or on my HT rig, and it's not there with K-horns alone.

That said, while I would like to add a sub to the mix again, I don't know that I have the room. But I'm always looking for a nook/cranny to slip one in.

Dean I purchased my horns off of Bigdnfay from the forum. Once he built his own he had no space for the Model C 74 Khorns so he sold them to me. Best purchase I ever made other than my (mail order Russian Bride). I still have the RF7's also. Since I have a very good sub (SVS) I thought I would at least try. After having a few over to listen to my system, I found that the way I had my sub set for music was way overkill. That is why I was asking where on my horns the crossover would be set. Thanks all for the help, I knew there were many hiding in the closet. Why do so many feel that a sub is like voodoo? I think it is 2 channel stigma. No speaker that fits into your home can do it all. As near to perfection as the Khorn is they will always have their limitations. That's not even taking the room into consideration. Doesn't coming out feel good!4.gif