Surround or no surround for music

Hard 21

Not sure if this is the right place to post. Let me know where, if it isn't. I'm running R35 5.1 w/ RW12 and HK AVR7200. I'm no audiophile and I know, I know, listen w/ your own ears, but I could use some suggestions and opinions. Is there a particular setting for Jazz, Hard Rock, and Rap. Or should one use different setting for different kinds of music? For music, should surround sound be on or off. It seems like I like it a little better off. Also, I have a dvd/vcr combo that I also use as a cd player. I can use either the optical or the analog for cds. Which is best? 'Preciate it.

if you are listening to analog go 2 channel, reason being that the processor is merely matrixing the signal in the manner some engineer thinks the sound shoud be. so 2 channel music is best heard in 2 channel. but if you are listening to multi-channel sacd or dvd or dvd-a than you have the discreet channels to benefit your system. many many people do listen to analog in multi-channel settings, but when i have it just seems contrived, artificial, as you mentioned, it is a persons personal tastes that matter here12.gif

I think a lot of it is personal preference. Experiment, you have nothing but time to see what you like eh? Me? I'm still stuck in 2 channel stereo. Have not adapted to anything else yet.

BTW, how do you like that 7200? It's a beast aint it?

----------------

On 4/17/2004 11:56:46 AM m00n wrote:

BTW, how do you like that 7200? It's a beast aint it?

----------------

I'm totally satisfied. I haven't figured everything out yet (just got it yesterday), but after I realized that there was a plastic covering over the face and it wasn't used, I became very happy. I just want to get the most out of it. I used the EZset, but I didn't first do any adjusting to the speakers. The manual said to, but my TV is not new enough to get the on screen menus (the manual gives the instructions as if you do have that). I don't know enough without specifically following the directions. But to me it all sounds really freakin' good. Only problem is that I live with my parents and they agreed to let me keep it the main room for only a week. Then I'm gonna have to move it all to my bedroom. But that's not all bad. Anyway, I'm about to go read the whole manual. I'm sure I'll be back here to ask more questions. Thanks.

Try it and see. I'm definitly a fan of surround sound for music.

If you have a H/K 7200 try both DPLII Music as well as Logic 7 Music. They both can do very well. Be sure to try the adjustments in PLII Music as well as it lets you season it more to your taste. Unfortunatly the H/Ks don't give you all the L7 adjustments that are on the Lexicon's as they are very handy too.

Shawn

"I know, listen w/ your own ears"

You hit the nail on the head right there. I use the surround sometimes and others I stay in two channel. It depends on the recording and how well it matrixes into multichannel. There are times I like the expanded sound field presence. I have found disks that were originally mastered digitally tend to work a little better in Multi than ones where the original master was analog. I have a DTS 5.1 remix of Wings Venus and Mars and the reengineering was interesting but I think the original two channel sounds much better. Ive also found that some of the preset music hall equalizations are entertaining on live recording as well. What it really comes down to is experiment and find what you like. Hey - Its your system enjoy it.

It seem like I was listening to a CD in analog (no surround) and my center channel was active (my surrounds weren't). But later I thought I had things set the same way and no center channel. It may be my imagination, but was my center channel active when I was in the surround off mode listening to a CD?

You really owe it to yourself to experiment with all the receiver can do. H-K has some of the best surround processing options available in a receiver.

I don't like to spend five minutes of every CD fitzing with the sound though, so I have pretty much settled on Dolby Pro Logic II for all two-channel music.

" seem like I was listening to a CD in analog (no surround) and my center channel was active (my surrounds weren't). But later I thought I had things set the same way and no center channel. It may be my imagination, but was my center channel active when I was in the surround off mode listening to a CD?"

If you have a good sweet spot projection and good imaging you will here sonic images that sound like you center is active. Its all part of the stereo effect. Well-positioned and properly set up soundstages do that. This is something Klipsch speakers excell at when placed properly

I try to get the most realistic sound possible. Keeping it in two channel and using the least digital processing as possible seems to give the most pleasant and realistic reproduction for me(except when recorded in a surround format). Also my receiver has a pure direct mode which in two channel shuts down all the video and unused digital circuits for even better sound. But its all opinion.

----------------

On 4/20/2004 12:24:08 PM blowme wrote:

or look at it this way. when you go to see a band, the drummer doesnt move around the room while he plays. or the band isnt set in different spots around the room. they are all together, in front of you, on stage. convincingly recreate that and you really have something.

----------------

That's true, and I do usually use 2 channel for rock bands, something you would see live and on stage in front of you. On the other hand, I often times enjoy listening to electronic type music with surrounds on using Logic7. It just depends on the type of music for me. As others have said, just try it yourself and let your ears decide. And for the record, I listen to what I want to hear, not necessarily what some damn sound engineer or the limitations of the recording format tell me to hear; YMMV 12.gif.