O.T.: printer port working, but wont print

Psycho_Wolf

This doesnt really have anything to do with the pro's, but Iv been going here for about a year and most of you seem very knowlegeable. I am on a emachine, with Win 98 S.E. and I recently hooked up a new HP printer. Everything worked fine for about a week then all of a sudden the printer port stopped working. I have gone through windows help and its no help. The parallel port is enabled in the bios, and in the device manager everything is fine. I have uninstalled it and let windows detect the printer port again and it still wont print. I tried hooking up my scanner straight to it and it wont work either.

I have hooked both the printer and scanner to my laptop and they work fine. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing the printer port to not respond? I appreciate any help, thanks,

Psycho_Wolf

Ok, I am assuming you tried reinstalling print drivers and that your cables are ok..Plus i assume you tried hooking up printer minus the scanner too...go back to BIOS and take a look at the settings for your parallel port...they may have been changed it can cause the port not to respond it is the Pararllel mode. I can't remember which one it is so you will have to experiment..Choices should be ECP, EEP, ECP/EEP. Like i said, try each choice under parallel mode..make the selection, then do a print test until you find the one that allows you to print....otherwise get a loopback plug..you may have a bad motherboard too...it's an e-machine so it wouldn't surprise me...If that don't work let me know, I will send you some more commands/actions to try and determine if the port is bad for sure or not. Later

jim

In the bios I believe the choices were ecp and epp like you said, and I tried both, and neither worked. It also had just the regular 'bi-directional' setting which doesnt work either.

Yes I did try hooking up the printer minus the scanner, 2 printers actually, and different printer cords. It worked fine for about a week (just got the scanner and printer used) and now neither of those nor my old lexmark will print. Under each of those settings I never once got any kind of error or exclamation point in the device manager.

Bad motherboard perhaps, but why would it just stop working after over a year of it working with the lexmark and then a week with the hp? This is my friends computer and I am at home so the next time im there (probably tomorrow) ill give any info you might need as to try to troubleshoot the problem. Thanks for the reply,

Psycho_Wolf

To eliminate a problem with your windoze configuration, boot your PC from a boot disk or into DOS mode (boot disk is probably better), then at the dos prompt type "dir > lpt1" assuming lpt1 is your printer port, you can also replace "dir" with any command that produces text output. See if that prints. I would also clear the bios. If that doesn't help its probably a hardware prob, call them and ***** until you get a new mobo.

------------------

----------

Caring is the first step toward disappointment.

----------

Try this:

1. Redirect printer output to the promedias by opening a DOS window and typing:

mode = Klipsch

2. Print next from any Windows application and select the Klipsch Printer (the icon looks like a subwoofer with a halo over it)

3. If everything is working, whatever you print will be translated into speech by the speakers (with a Brooklyn accent though) and accompanied by polka tunes.

It's wild!! smile.gif