Sub Ideas for Legends

Mr. Blorry

Greetings everyone!! It's been a long while since I cruised the boards, but I'm glad to be back. I have a few dollars burning a hole in my pocket, and I thought I'd upgrade the rig a bit.

I have a pair of KLF-30s and a KLF-C7 center, and would like to finally add a sub. Can this be done for under $400? I know I can find plenty of powered subwoofers for less money, but is there one out there that will compliment my existing rig? If not, I'll wait until I can afford something that will!! I was looking at the Infinity Alpha 1200s, and I have seen it on ebay for $399. Pretty impressive specs, but does anyone know how it may sound with Klipsch Legends? Since my 30s have 12" drivers, I thought that I may need a 15" sub, some say that isn't necessarily the case. What do you guys think?

I found a mtx sub15 for 299.95 brand new on ebay. It is a 800 dollar sub. here is the link for the specs.

http://www.mtx.com/homeaudio/archive/indexsub.cfm

here is the link on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3275&item=3092005268&rd=1.

it matches really well with my KLF-20's It hits the low end real well and loud. i finally found a sub that can keep up with the klf-20's. the gain is only a third of the way up and i have it crossed over at its lowest point a 40HZ. if are able to save some money, which i was not, i would buy svs, klipsch, hsu, velodyne, paradigm. I have found nothing but good things about all of there subs. I just had limited funds and could not find a better deal then this one. I am very pleased with the purchase.

Those KLF-30's are pretty dynamic and can reach high volumes without breaking a sweat. If you want to stay under the $400 mark the best you'll get is a Hsu VTF-2. If you want to save a little more a proper sub to match that caliber speaker would be something from the "Plus" line of SVS. How large is the room?

Have you considered building a sub? If you have basic carpentry skills and a few tools, there are plans online that you can follow and you can easily get the sub you need under $400.

----------------

On 4/20/2004 9:55:30 AM fabulousfrankie wrote:

Have you considered building a sub? If you have basic carpentry skills and a few tools, there are plans online that you can follow and you can easily get the sub you need under $400.

----------------

www.partsexpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I have considered building a sub! I have poor carpentry skills at best, so I may enlist the help of a few friends. I have all the Thiele-Small parameters and considered buying a pair of Altec Lansing 416-8Bs, pushing them with a 500 watt amp, and construct the Subwoofer From Hell. That's a bit down the road, as I am living with sis for the time being. Move out should be sometime this summer, into a place that can not only handle my insatiable stereo habit, but also the heavy duty electric guitar and amp jones that I stay on constantly. I'm looking at an area far from the city; an area commonly referred to as the "Sticks." I will need a minimum of a 500 yard, heavily tree laden buffer on all four sides of my house, and then hope to find a house with a finished basement where I can have both an HT room and a music room. The house will also need to be made of stone or at least brick, as my rig will likely cause most common building materials to implode under intense stress.

----------------

On 4/20/2004 9:55:30 AM fabulousfrankie wrote:

----------------

Here's something for you to read. I'm trying to get more people into these. Please consider them at least. 2.gif

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=49194&sessionID={A866D98D-AE43-4800-BB9C-DACD1239DCAD}

Also, for the very detailed original version....

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14179&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

The notion that you would need at least a 15" driver to compliment your mains with the 12" drivers is not neccessarily accurate. If you will be using your system for home theater (which I'll assume since you have a center channel) then any quality sub will improve the output and response of your total system. Those dual 12's put out a good amount of bass but specs say they are only effective down to 36 Hz.

A good low budget SVS 25-31 pci would do wonders as it is stock tuned to 25 Hz and will extend down to or below 20 Hz. This would allow your mains (set to small in a HT situation) to play the rest of your frequencies louder and better and let your sub do the dirty work as it was meant to. I know what you're going to say..."But I've got dual 12's in each of my mains. I have to set them to large!" During music reproduction I'd agree, but not during home theater.

Try an SVS 25-31 pci for only $549 if you're on a budget. If you really want to see what low end is possible then pick up a PB2+. Still a steal at $1,199.

The perfect sub for the 30s is the Velodyne ULD 15/2. Have it crossed over at 50hz and with the 400 servo control amp you will have the sound system you will be truly proud of. The sub is flat down to 16hz.

Best,

Craig

Broadcast standard equipment. Too numerous to mention!

----------------

On 5/2/2004 1:03:48 AM CAS wrote:

But I've got dual 12's in each of my mains. I have to set them to large!" During music reproduction I'd agree, but not during home theater.

----------------

I see what you're saying, and that makes sense! I will definitely give that setup a try when doing home theatre, but honestly I do much more five channel stereo and DVD-A than movies and such. Nonetheless, do you still think I could get satisfaction with a 12" sub rig? The KLF-30s do really work nicely way down to 50, and even on towards the end of their stated range of 36, so a sub in this setup really doesn't have to start working until about 50, and I'd love to see it push it into the 20s if at all possible. I may be asking too much.

Another quick question: In an effort to utilize all my available resources, is there a way to convert a multichannel amp into a mono one? For example, I have a five channel receiver that is now gathering dust after my recent upgrade. Here's a unit that makes 70w x 5. How nice it would be if it could be converted into a 350w x 1. Catch my drift? I'm already pretty sure the answer is no, unless I made a five speaker subwoofer, and drove each speaker separately. Hmmm... Ampeg made the SVT, what is considered by many as the finest bass guitar amp and speaker rig in history, and they did it with a monster 300+ watt tube head driving a massive 8x10" speaker cab Those eight tens outperformed most everyone else's rigs with 12" and 15" speakers. Maybe I could make a sub cabinet with five tens!! Ok, maybe not.