Center Channel for Heritage??

tidmack

Hey all,

I have a pair of '84 Cornwall II's backed by a pair of '80 la scalas. By Spring, I'd like to finally set up a home theatre. I know these speakers aren't a perfect sonic match, but that's what I can work with for now. I'm not sure of a sub yet, but I'm really impressed with the two Velodyne's I've heard. Anyways, it'd be best to have the la scalas up front I think. They're a little more tight than the cornwalls and I like their "up front" imaging. With this in mind, is there a center channel that I can use, or should I have one made?? There's a local shop that specializes in used Klipsch and I recall him mentioning that he's made center channels for older speaks before, using drivers that match the fronts. I can't imagine this route being reasonable in price though and I only want to do it if it's necessary.

So you heritage owners, what have you done for center channels and are you satisfied with the results?

Thanks guys

Jeff

Heresy would be fine.

I have one I've used with my K-Horns since I got the Horns last April.I was not 100% happy with the tonal ballance.The sqauwker being crossed over at a higher freq.and being smaller.

Maybe another La Scala?

I found a K-Horn sqauwker and made a small box just for it and used an AA network.It's perfect now.Tried the AA network first and that's not the way to go.

Still a Heresy as is would fit the bill for you.IMHO

I agree with both points. It depends on the room available for identical speakers and you budget.

I have some homemade horns with identical squakers and tweeters in the left, center and right. When special effects sound is panned left to center to right, the match is very good.

I can't say that non identical speakers would do as well. In fact, the design goal these days is to have identical treble drivers at all five points. This aids the reproduction in pans from rear to front.

On the other hand, my observation is that non identical speakers could work well listening to plain old music where there are no "special effects" pans.

One last thought is that you might wind up putting whatever center speaker near the TV. This is going to bring up issues of magnetic shielding. Klipsch has some shilding plate available for the Belle, as I recall. You might have to adopt that to your ultimate choice.

Gil