What is SVS comparable to?

T_Shomaker

Hmm... I will say for starting very safely that the Pci or CS line beats ANY subwoofer under $1000. But there is still the Hsu STF-3 which is very competitive against these, Dr. Hsu is an exception 2.gif So without even telling more, you just see how much good SVS are for the money when you compare even their lowest budget subs against the rest!!!

But... lets face it, the DIY way will always be the best way for having the most for you money 2.gif (Im sorry, I had to say it)! In that case, if I keep the same comparo (SVS PCi/CS), you can build a Shiva subwoofer which will keep up against them for under $400!! 1.gif This can be frustrating when you know this 11.gif but well, you must have the patience and the tools and sometimes, when you dont have the tools and enough skill, a DIY sub can cost you as much as a commercial one! 9.gif

pinipig you're really quite wrong. your SVS won't be able to compare with the RSW-15 at those levels.

http://members.cox.net/frankcarter/Tom%20Nousaine%20Sub%20Data.htm

read there....note the 20-39 CS falls short of the RSW-15 by 6 db with a 300 watt amp. if enclosure size and driver differenes are not taken into account, you would need an additional 900 watts of power going through your PCi 25-31. Then, considering the enclosure size and tuning point of your 25-31 PCi is NOT the same as the 20-39, and is in fact a good deal smaller with a higher tuning point, I think it's relatively safe to say that the two shouldn't even be compared.

fair enough - but the 20-39cs compared on the list is of the gen 1 cs subs. the driver has been improved and the amp is slightly larger. the 25-31 has been tuned to 22hz, hence 22-31PCi. the gap between the two (newer 20-39PCi and the RSW-15) is much closer than 6db. the sub sent to tom n. was a preproduction sub - tom v. has mentioned that the sub had been tweaked afterwards for customers and now, being gen 2, has been greatly improved - thanks to reviewers like tom n. and customer feedback.

i would like to see a direct 25hz comparison between the rsw-15 and the 20-39PCi.. the list is missing this information.

in any case, the PC+ line should be able to take the rsw-15 on... if the PCi is able to hang with it.

----------------

On 4/24/2004 10:30:23 PM goretexpretzels wrote:

Does anyone have dB figures for a 22/25-31PCi? I am close to getting one, and it would be nice to know.

----------------

If you wanna know how much dB you will get, we would need at least you room dimension for an estimate. To know this information, I would ask the question to Tom from SVS by email. He would answer your question rapidly and with pleasure 2.gif

----------------

On 4/24/2004 11:10:18 PM T_Shomaker wrote:

If I got an SVS PCi could I at a later point take out their woofer and then put a better driver in?

----------------

Sure you can... but do you want to hear port noise? 1.gif Because if you put a better driver in, air flow will increase out of the 4" flared port and you will most likely hear some port noise. Beeing port restricted, the sub would start to have some compression and wouldnt perform as well as if there was more venting area.

However, if the SVS would be sealed instead of vented, replacing the existing 12" driver could be great, as long as the driver is well suited for the cylinder.