amps?

ez8947

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 4/22/2004 10:13:42 PM ez8947 wrote:

Well I was just looking at a NAD C272 for $699 rated at 150 per 2 the other day. Despite there quality problems I think NAD has a nice sound. I used to have a T751 receiver.

----------------

I agree. I just sent back my second NAD S250 5 channel amp because of hum problems. 2 of the 5 channels on the second amp were hum free and it had a very nice sound. Never thought it was playing as loudly as it was because it lacked the harshness of my Yamaha at higher volumes. Too bad about the quality control issues.

Good News/Bad News

Good News:Parasound HCA1500 amp worked very good with my KLF20's.

Bad News: It didn't come into it's own until I replaced my preamp.

I was using my Denon HT system as my preamp.

Get a tube pre and a SS amp and you will be surprised how good those KLF20's sound.

Danny

Just demoed some Klipsch in a room much like you describe. Considering your room and speakers and my experiences with same, I think you are headed exactly in the right direction with your amp parameters. Good luck.

Keith

I own 1 Monarachy Audio SM 70 running my center channel at 70 watts and 2 SM 70 Pros each 80 watts that were running my KLF 20s and it was a very good match! For home theater I used a Denon 4800 and the Monarchy amps blew away the internal Denon amps these are very good amps for home theater. For 2 channel I use a Luxman C300 preamp and and a NAD C540 CD player it also is a very good match. I paid $1400 for both my SM 70 Pros bought directly from Monarchy Audio. For the price and performance you get from these amps it is a very good deal and I highly recommend these amps.

As of mid March I purchased a Cayin TA 30 integrated amp 35 watts push pull or you can pull out 2 tubes and run it SE at 4 watts. I just ran it with 2 tubes for the first time and I think I like it with 4 tubes better the bass is tighter and more defined and the midrange sounds fuller to me. I also finaly got my 2004 La Scalas at the beginging of April and I'm using the TA 30 to burn in the La Scalas. Since I live close to my neighbors I can not very often really crank it up so it will take some time for the LS to burn in. Once they have burned in I will do a comparision between the Cayin TA 30 and the 2 Monarchy Audio SM 70 pros 80 watts each. From the quality sound I had with the 2 SM 70 Pros with the KLF 20s they should match very good with the La Scalas.

The KLF 20s in a living room my size, 16X16X8, sound just as good as the La Scalas do. There are some factors behind that. First the La Scalas have not burned in yet and the 20s had to do the same thing. The KLF 20s midrange and tweeter horns are at ear level and the LS mid and high horns are right below my chin and I did notice a difference in the soundstage, not a huge difference but a very slight one. I'm thinking about making some wooden lifts for the LS and then do the sand bag tweak that Colin recommended .

In a larger room say 20X25X10 the LS would have more room to work their magic but in small living room they can overpower very easy. Another thing about having La Scalas in a small living room is the midrange horn is very strong and in your face!! That is one big difference between the KLF 20s and the LS. The midrange on the LS can be over powering on some songs when turning up the volume but on the 20s it sounded just right in my living room. Once the LS have burned in I'll do the comparision between the tube amp and the SS amp and which everone is second will go to my bedroom set up. I'll make a post once the speakers burn in.

Xman

3D,

As you will notice I agree that the Monarchy is a "good" buy for new SS power amp. No one seems to have picked up on my other suggestion. It was the "SET" amp. (Single Ended Transistor)

A definite level above the Monarchy is the Aleph 3. Maybe I mispelled it. Pure Class A, and sounds wonderful. Used at $800 to $950, it's a bargain. Excessive heat and preamp match are the negatives. In other words, get the crap out of the signal path to better enjoy the music. A time proven Single Ended design principal. The Aleph 30 is the newest inovation on the Aleph 3 design and has been seen to sell at $1400 though list is $1990. The Alephs really are a clear level above the Monarchy in sound quality. Nothing SS comes close to them at their price.

Klipsch out.

PS.

ez8947,

Stop worrying about the number of "WPC". The 30 from the Aleph 3, or Aleph 30, will be more than sufficient for the task.

i am using a carver professional ZR1000 digital amplifier..... very similar in sound to the bel canto amps at a much lower cost....

it is driving KLF-30's and i am using a pioneer elite vsx-55txi as the preamp..... a great sound with a very low noise floor and the power that i was looking for....

the ZR1000 can be found online for about $750 and puts out 225 watts of the cleanest power that i've ever heard....tube or solid state!.... warmer than any solid state amp i've tried and more detailed with a lower noise floor than any tube amp that i tried.....

it is based on one of the tripath chips.....

http://www.tripath.com/tech.htm

here is carver professional's website....

http://www.carverpro.com/2003/products/zramps.html

this series of amps has received alot of attention in several forums..... over on audiocircle.com esp......

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/search.php?mode=results

of course....YMMV

good luck!

1.gif

MC2501.jpg

Buy two for less than $500 each, bridge 'em to 100 watts mono, hook up a Klipsch to each amp, and fire away! Next to the SM-70, to my ears the MC250 is the smoothest, warmest SS amp I've ever heard. All the selections above are great, but I'm biased...my favorite all-around SS amplifier will always be the vernerable McIntosh MC250!

post-11084-1381925415692_thumb.jpg

EZ,just wanted to take a shot at your b&k? I have a 125.2 hooked to 7's and at 110 dbs down its very nice and detailed.Above 110 it starts to shout a little.My Parasound on the other hand is good to 115dbs before it even starts shout,but at low levels is not quite as good,imo only.Now since these levels are only for a rush or to demo to friends its no big deal.Features may be a factor for you,do you need a trigger,etc..?if not you have alot more choices.For 1k down there are lots of good amps,several have been mentioned.

Just as an alternative you might want to look at Rotel amps as well. I used to have the 1080 2 channel amp that was 200w into 8 ohms and it is not too fussy about the pre-amp.

The only reason I got rid of it, at the time, was that it needed volume to start to play properly - although this does not seem like it would be a problem for you.

Of course you need care when paring with Klipsch speakers - I popped the woofer on the Heresies with this beast.

From memory it was around $1000 new when I bought it - a bargain at the time - but things move on...

I think I am really leaning towards the B&K, but I will also check out the Rotels before I purchase. A dealer not too far sells them both. It wont be long and that big gap in the rack will be filled. whewwww doggies!

My mother always said, "EZ, gaps are unacceptable."

Hi, just a quick suggestion...

I've been very happy with my Denon POA-2800 Amp.

Dual Mono Design, rated at 200 W into 8 ohm. It is biased class A for the first 15 -20 W??

Nice Clean, quiet, dynamic sound when paired with my La Scala's.

Ebay should find one in the < $400 US price point, although they don't show up very often.

I found mine at a local pawn shop.

Good Luck