ALK cornwall crossovers

Last weekend I completed a long awaited upgrade to my 1979 Cornwall 1's. I had wanted to upgrade the crossovers for quite awhile as I suspected a problem with one. I had lost 2 tweeters over the years in the one speaker and it didn't sound as crisp and loud as the other. Anyway I was excited when Al K. offered the Cornwall upgrade and decided to construct a pair. All ordered items came very quickly ( 1 week ). I also elected to use 1% tolerance North 5.6 ohm wirewound resistors in the crossovers as well as Teflon insulated silver wire, 14gauge, to rework all internal cabinet wiring to the squaker/ tweeter. I used 10 gauge input wire and to the woofer. I'm very please to report the results are spectacular. Al should be awarded some type of design award! These crossovers bring these masterpiece speakers to a whole new level. The quickness of their response is unreal. The high end detail is amazing. The do sound totally different than the

originals though so be aware. The first song I played, my heart sank as the squawker sounded all destorted. I believe it takes a while to bias all the Harmony/ Hovland caps but I soon came to realize the recording sucked. If you thought the Cornwalls were unforgiving before on poorly recorded music, with Al's crossovers its unlistenable. The ALK crossovers bring the Cornwalls to another league all together. I can tell you that one would have to spend at least $3,000 - $4,000 on speakers to get anywhere near my 22 year old Cornwalls with Al's units installed.It's amazing what the drivers in these old brutes are really capable of. Needless to say I can go on and on. Overall they are outstanding and highly recommended. I must warn you though, if one is not skilled at electronics and soldering get them from AL. These are more difficult to build correctly than the drawing might indicate. I have an extensive background in the field as well as all the tools to do the job right. If you don't have either, don't attempt to go it alone or you might have a nice pair of bookends. Finally, the completed units are absolutely beautiful with the Solen coils. They are almost too nice to hide in the cabinet! Thanks again Al for a wonderful job!

Ken DeGroff

• 2 weeks later...

Folks, I just put in three of Al's networks in over the weekend (2 Cornwall and 1 Belle). I totally second all of Ken's comments above, including his observation of how gorgeous they are. My 12 year old daughter wanted to take one to school for "Show and Tell" ...

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, these networks are fabulous and a wonderful value. Considering how much time we've all spend discussing amps for our Klipsch products, swapping out the networks to a pair of ALK's is likely spending $10 grand on high end amps. I can't believe the beauty of the sound that I'm hearing; I can't wipe the grin off my face.

I think Al SHOULD raise his prices for the kind of engineering you're buying. It is unfair to compare his networks to the stock Klipsch networks; they are just too dissimilar.

Don't even think about it; just call Al and order a pair today before he actually DOES raise his prices Smile.gif

Chris

------------------

Denon AVR-4800

McIntosh MC-2105 (Fronts)

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Klipsch Cornwall I's (LF/RF)

Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Jim,

You might consider investing in a vasectomy before the crossovers. I did, and I can tell you I've never experienced tighter bass. Best to leave it to the pros, though. Not a diy project even IF you have the right tools.