Peav-Tec (FH1s and Altec HF)

JohnA

Attached, hopefully, are pics of the Peavey FH1 and a mock-up of the system I'll build using them. These are destined for special events at my Church and maybe a dust up at home, to irritate the neighbors. Can you imagine Movie Night, now?

I picked up this pair of weary road warriors in Festus, Mo. for $150. The 902/511Bs I have had for 2 years or so.

MockSys1.JPG

post-2142-1381925417717_thumb.jpg

Here are some pics of the inside of the FH1. It is both similar and quite different from a La Scala. The inspiration is obvious. I was surprised how rough and crude the inside is. With the corner reflectors, and no constant area section, it follows horn theory more closely, but still performs about the same, -3 at 58 Hz.

BW1504%20inside.JPG

The throat is 5 1/8" x 13 1/4". Note how fuzzy and unfinished it looks. Also note the channel routed into the motorboard for the cone/suspension movement.

FH1ThroatDim.JPG

Note the corner reflectors in the back. They are not at a 45 deg. angle. The dog house is a triangle and the rear corners are not cut so that they make a single point.

SmFH1mouth.JPG

Road (Rode) hard and put up wet.

smdustcap.JPG

post-2142-138192541804_thumb.jpg

Wow John, those are ROUGH looking. I still think Peavey makes some good gear, but these are sloppy in the extreme. Would they sound better if the finish work was better? You would think so. Maybe Dennis will chime in with some comments about these.

Are you just going to use these for patterns?

I noticed the REAL doghouse in the background. 9.gif

Marvel

Here's the FH-1 and Altec rig I used a few years ago. These FH-1s had an extra layer of MDF and a veneer added and used Klipsch K-33 woofers. They sounded excellent and responded flat past 500hz, making them perfect for use with the Altec 511B horn.

Thr roughness of interior construction (which I never noticed though I did open one up to check the woofer) evidently had no effect on the sound.

I had them pushed back tight into the corners and according to my RTA they were flat to 50hz. The first time I measured them they were flat to 30hz. That can't possibly be, I thought. Then I turned the furnace off. :)

That routing for the driver suspension is needed. About 30 years ago my pal and I built some LaScala basshorn knockoffs and neglected to leave room for the driver surrounds to travel, the drivers were brand-new EV 15Bs. The driver surrounds beat themselves to oblivion against the baffle and were ruined. EV replaced the drivers free of charge but warned me to route a channel because they wouldn't cover the same problem again. I thought that was pretty damned good service.

post-6913-1381925418349_thumb.jpg

Yea, Dee, the back yard is great this time of year. We don't have no stinkin' neighbors anymore!

I think the one that listened to bad country music beside the pool has moved. I don't hear it anymore.

Just wait till I get these babies running!